Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to mount an ARB CKMA12 in the engine bay of my '14 6 speed but can't seem to find a spot. I currently have a C4 Dual Battery tray taking the back left corner (nearest to passenger), so that location wont work out. If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

· Registered
7,933 Posts
Why do you want to mount the compressor in the engine bay?

Heat-soaked every time the engine runs, exposed to moisture, dust, etc. When you finally are done off-roading and everything in the engine bay is roasting hot, that's when you want to run the compressor and add another 50-80 degree temperature rise to the compressor's motor?

I have a '14 with the already-packed engine bay, and mounted my CKMA12 in the cargo bay above the wheel-well. Since I was running power from the engine bay back to the cargo bay, I also included a power-distribution panel with circuit-breaker protected legs for compressor, fridge, and an auxiliary 12VDC outlet for USB chargers, etc. All the wiring is protected by another 50A marine-rated circuit breaker in the engine bay, close to the battery.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door Machine Bumper

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice set up! Do you happen to have more pictures/info of how you constructed this? I was planning on having something similar to your set up but wasn't sure where I wanted to mount the compressor if I did go that route.

· Registered
7,933 Posts
See:
On-board ARB air with power distribution panel

The whole compressor module is built on an aluminum frame made with T-slot extrusions from the 80:20 framing system, and the module is mounted on a Springtail Solutions side rack via rubber vibration isolators. I used an adjustable MIL-spec pressure switch set at 45 PSI, the normal 'on-road' pressure for my load range 'E' KO2s.

· Registered
655 Posts
Back of the car is good for heat and dust, but those ARB compressors are designed to run in an engine bay and are noisy. I put mine in the bay because I didn’t want a huge device and all the affiliated accessories taking up my precious cargo space. Also, many many many people have run them in the engine bay without issue, but of course there is always exceptions to the rule. Good
Luck with whatever you decide!

· Admin
30,998 Posts
This is great; "The US-made 1/4" OD polyurethane air line is rated at 180 PSI, and is long enough to reach all four tires, but is very compact compared to the typical multi-layer rubber air hose. It's terminated with a press-on air chuck that automatically locks itself to the tire valve stem."

I love FJtest's setup, but here's the tray Hugo mentions.

· Registered
655 Posts
The best part about FJtests setup is those beautiful bent copper wires...it is very well done.

I used that tray to mount my blue sea distribution block, but found a gentlemen on the forum that makes custom trays, even with a switch holder for my passenger side bay. Right where to dual battery is...maybe somebody remembers who it is that makes those trays and can reference it for you?

· Registered
7,933 Posts
Back of the car is good for heat and dust, but those ARB compressors are designed to run in an engine bay and are noisy. I put mine in the bay because I didn’t want a huge device and all the affiliated accessories taking up my precious cargo space. Also, many many many people have run them in the engine bay without issue, but of course there is always exceptions to the rule. Good
Luck with whatever you decide!
You can't avoid the fact that the insulation on the motor's internal wiring and the external wiring harness, the lubricant in the bearings, and everything else deteriorates more quickly in the heat of the engine bay vs the cool, dry, low-dust environment in the cargo bay.

Mounting the compressor on the sidewall above the wheel-well doesn't really encroach on the main cargo bay storage area.

As for noise, yes you know when the compressor is running, but it's not really objectionable, and when airing up after off-roading you are typically outside the vehicle, checking for tire damage, for brush caught in the undercarriage, and otherwise ensuring that the vehicle is ready to get back on the highway at 70 MPH.

· Registered
7,933 Posts
The best part about FJtests setup is those beautiful bent copper wires...it is very well done.

I used that tray to mount my blue sea distribution block, but found a gentlemen on the forum that makes custom trays, even with a switch holder for my passenger side bay. Right where to dual battery is...maybe somebody remembers who it is that makes those trays and can reference it for you?
Well, not copper 'wires', but standard 1/4" annealed copper tubing. I originally went with tubing wound into a spiral as a more efficient heat exchanger, but it rattled against the adjacent panel on extreme washboard roads, and I settled on a stiffer, point-to-point routing.

· Registered
655 Posts
Yes, my mistake, copper tubing.
The compressor noise in the cab is more concerning if you upgrade to an air locker down the road and it engages while your driving.

I originally wanted to mount my compressor internally but did not find a suitable location I liked. I settled for under the hood after much research on the ruggedness of these compressors.

As for encroachment into the cargo bay, it certainly takes up room where you could store several small sleeping bags, several gallons of water, etc. However, I traveled with a wife, a kid and a dog several thousand miles and camped for several weeks at a time, so my storage needs may vary from yours.

Each person determines what will be best for their application and needs, and of course we are each convinced its the best for us. This is “choice-supportive bias”.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.