Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an FJ recently from an online auction in Japan. I used to restore classics in the states, and went through a phase of using flip-flop paints on strange looking old cars (59 el camino, 72 volvo p1800es, 69 Opel GT). I was looking to replace my hilux (4runner in the States), for another deep-snow-capable 4x4 for my mountain life here in Nagano, Japan. I was mildly interested in the FJs, but knew their production had been canceled, so was going to continue with old-reliable 3.0l diesel HiLux Surf (wide body 4runner).
This crazy, jacked up, flip flop purple/gold FJ kept coming up and no one was buying it. (Japanese are scared to buy non-stock anything). I low-balled the auction, and got the car!
Went to pick it up from the transport company with my girlfriend. She asked which truck in the yard was mine, I pointed at it, and she said, (uncharacteristically in English) "Are you CRAZY??"
hahaha... it was love at first site. (FJ, girl still on probation!)
But, it was someone's failed dream. Unfinished in strange ways. The biggest problem I face is the fenders. To conform with Japanese law for bi-annual safety checks, the tires stick out too much, and there are no mud/rock guards anyway.
I can't contact the shop that built it. And I can't find a similar kit on the internet.
I need fender flares to cover the width and front/rear exposed sections of tire. I'd like to bold/clip on rubber or tough plastic under the custom fenders.
See photos!
Thank you in advance for any help and advice.
Josh
p.s. photos on my computer are not on their side... don't know what's up with that.

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
36,800 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Those are fiberglass prerunner flares made in USA. Nothing is made for them so your best bet is to go buy semi truck mudflaps, cut them in half and make some "flares" to pass inspection.

·
Premium Member
16,899 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome Josh

·
Desert Moderator
7,628 Posts
Those are +4" fenders. And don't cover the rear (no mud flap) nevermind I misunderstood. Csn you make custom mud/rock covers?
Thick rubber bolted to the underside of the flares I think might be your only option...
I've seen something similar on Jeeps.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Thick rubber bolted to the underside of the flares I think might be your only option...
I've seen something similar on Jeeps.
Yup, some kind of pvc plastic is what I've seen for pocket flares to cover tires. They usually cut up black plastic gardening containers (meant for plants and found at hardware stores). It doesn't look pretty but usually passes inspection here in the US.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
it will be a challenge to attach anything to the fenders as shown, because their shape is so very smooth!

There have been widened versions of the OEM resin fender extensions made out of fiberglass, like shown in Kung Fu Panda's thread
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/151020-kung-fu-panda.html

Oh dear, I hope that all of his amazing photos have not been lost (just now I went to it and only got little "X" boxes where all of his photos had been). Somewhere in his thread someone asked him where he got them and said the maker's name.

N

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
I found it, about half way in:

"Can i ask where you got your extended fender flares?
Of course you can.
Its custom made from fiberglass to match long travel wider stance. But there is japan nice fenders from proper plastic.
FJ Cruiser Specialty Parts Online Shop - Auto-Style USA - Japan Car Parts JDM Parts
Pricey. Mine is 250$ plus 100 for paint job "

And here is an awesome video with some up close footage of them in action (and of another style fitted to a friend's). This was filmed deep in Eastern Siberia / China /N. Koran border region ("on the way to Khasan").

1 - 13 of 13 Posts