Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it."-The Tick

Jess, myself and THE TICK got up at 7AM this morning with a wild hair up our rears. I just got my mascot, THE TICK off of Ebay and it was time for the THE TICK to make his mark! This was suppose to be a quick trip just to get THE TICK's feet wet.

After being stuck in a shoe box from Virgina for three days,
THE TICK didn't want to ride in the cab, so I found him a seat belt in front.

We headed up HWY 410 to see how much snow was still up there and though we might just hit a forest road on the way and we found some! Here is the over look to the east down to Naches.

Great view!

We went down to Bumping lake on the other side of the pass that Jess wanted to check out. It was really cool, and would make a good camping spot! There was a couple trails that were closed that we wanted to try too.

We still hadn't done any wheeling and we hit a half a tank of gas so we went to Jacks, got gas and munchies. THE TICK though it would be a great idea to try to go over the forest roads and come down on the Ellensburg/Cle Elum side. Jes and I tried to talk him out of it, but it was his first time out so we went along. We mapped a way over and started up Milk Creek Rd (NF-1708) which is 1/4 mile east of Little Naches Rd. Needless to say we got a little off track.

As you can see we took a wrong turn and ended up on 671 (I think) which is like the 676 we took last time. THE TICK was having a blast, but I was getting a little worried about getting lost.

Lucky for us we ran into new friends who was coimg down the trail at us.

Paul and Ronda in their Jeep. They let us know they ran into a TON of snow going up the way they came. They asked if we had been to Funny/Moon Rock and THE TICK got all excited so we turned around to follow them. THE TICK got too excited and got a little stuck. I winched him out and we were on our way again.

So we followed them back up 1708 till it stops on the map.
We took a trail that was not on the map, but the route was still road marked up to Funny Rock with no snow and no problems.

Again I had to do some trail repair as my bumper got a little loose and dropped down on the driver side. You can see the gap!

THE TICK was too excited to help so he just hungout and planned his route up Funny Rock.

Paul showed me the way up and the Jeep crawled right up!

Next it was the THE TICK's turn and he took it like a champ!

Feeling good THE TICK wanted to go see Funny Rock so our new friends Paul and Ronda led the way over.
Funny Rock was SO nice and what an amazing view!

THE TICK still wanted to try to go to Ellensburg but it was getting late so I told THE TICK we would have to try another time.

So we head back down to 410 and played a little on the way!

THE TICK HAD a blast!

except for the bugs in his teeth....

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Great story. I think you should make it a serial. "The Tick Adventures"! :clap::cheers::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice write up Dave. I can't believe there's still snow! It hit 110 in some spots in SoCal today. I really like the hill climb shots.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Accidental Moon Rock Funny Rock Camping Post-run Naches WA

THE NEXT ADVENTURE OF THE TICK. Chapter two: The Tick Gets The Blues.....
"I'm betting that I'm just abnormal enough to survive."-The Tick

I really wanted to go with on the Ocean Shores run, but it was three hours aways and I was on call this weekend. SO, The Tick still wanted to go out and play, so I told him we could go camp, but it would have to be close to home. So headed up HWY 410 to the mountains looking for a random camp site.

It was very nice weather and clear! The Tick stopped to take in the view of Mt. Ranier, before we kept looking. The Tick wanted to see if any snow was left from the last time we went up to the top of HWY 410.....

And snow we found... the temp guage said 70 degrees, but the white stuff was still around.

Last time we came, The Tick wanted to play in the snow, so I this time I let him.

We continued over the pass and ended up at Bumping Lake again and The Tick had his heart set on camping on the lake so we set out to find a spot.

We found a great camping spot on the lake and we set up camp. The Tick wanted to see if some friends wanted to come over so he made a few calls

We met Chris and Jamie, who threw a thier camping gear together in about ten minutes and headed over. We met them at the camp site for BBQ, beer, camp fire and another new adventure.

Next day, Chris and The Tick tried to figure out where to go next. We thought we would try to cross over the forest roads to the south over to Rick Rock Lake. Great idea until we hit our first and last road block.

So Jamie said "lets go to funny rock," and The Tick got all excited. So he let the way up with a bit of play on the way up!

The Tick had to get a photo of Chris's FJ and MT. Rainer.

NEXT PAGE TO COME....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Chapter 2.1
"Gravity is a harsh mistress."-The Tick!

We made it up to funny rock and there were plenty of rigs up there, but we were the only FJ's! After a few looks, I took the The Tick went up to show the other guys what the FJ can do.

After I made it up, one of the rigs going up another line ran into a bit of trouble......oops!

The Tick want to crawl down a diffrent route to get down. I wasn't sure it was a good idea, but I let the The Tick talk me into going down.

It was getting a little sketchy at one point when The Tick got on three wheels......

All was good and The Tick made it down the tough spot on the line with no problem. The stock rock rails did there job really well! Just as I tried to make the last little turn, The Tick slid on some sand and BANG!

We got back to camp in one piece and I needed a Beer or ten..... Chris was checking my rig and noticed another little detail... I bent the wimpy lower rear control arm.... time for an upgrade!

It was a great time! I didn't end up getting called in which sucked because I really wanted to go on the beach run. Now The Tick has his first trail scar! See you on the next adventure!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Your a dork dave.....oh and thanks for the call!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Accidental Moon Rock Funny Rock Naches Camping Run WA

Thx Cassidy, haha!
I just got the rear and front Diff changed out. Thx to Auburn Auto Repair, he had an extra stock rear control arm and threw it on for me for dirt cheap. Now I have to get some beefier rear control arms!
And I got new toys in the mail too.....

·
Registered
504 Posts
The tick is awesome.. you need to find a trail teams edition to be the moth guy
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arthur! I got a friend who just named his TT the "Yeti", I should have had him name it Arthur!

"Good *gosh*, man. Didn't you know it was against the laws of nature? Clowns were never meant to be that - big." -Arthur

1 - 13 of 13 Posts