Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mind is 90% made up that I'm going to pick up an Autohome RTT for my 2010.

However, my mind is still not made up and have been considering one of the fold-out ones like the Simpson II or the Camping Lab one. Knowing how some people ... imbibe a bit too much or are just plain clumsy walking about at night, what happens to the tent if someone knocks out a support pole or ladder? Do the sleeping inhabitants plunge to the ground?

OH and hi, I'm a former "other brand" 4x4 owner with a nice new 2010 FJ in my driveway, from Abbotsford BC Canada. Will be posting a few newb questions around here soon. :rocker:

·
Registered
729 Posts
welcome to the group Im in abby and if you got any ?about your rig pm me and ill help where i can ....Im always parked downtown and run the tattoo shop down there stop buy if you like if my fj's not there there will be my lifted lexus....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mombosa Adventure II and the only issues was the first time out we were awakened by 60+ mph winds tearing across the lake. We got out in time but since then I have added two motorcycle tie down straps to the set up. This keeps the tounge and groove channel engaged and doesn't lift anymore. As far as the legs falling out from under it, I just make sure and sleep with my head on the fixed end. No problems otherwise and I would recomend a RTT to anyone.
Casey...

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have two RTTs, the AutoHome ladder has hooks that fit over the lower edge of the door, it could be bumped and removed but it wont affect the tent because its mounted flat & doesn't flip open but opens straight up.

I would have to climb out over the rear tire or jump if the ladder was removed or kicked out.
The other RTT the ladder is hinged & can't be removed but could be folded back under the open part of the tent. This RTT sits on a trailer and when flipped open the cantilevered end is also supported by the Yakima cross bars it sits on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I try not to camp where there are inebriated or clutzy people..:lol:.. and we did survive several tornadoes this year, along with sleet, snow and rain while camping, the high winds never even moved the ladder off it's hooks...it's pretty heavy duty.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I have an ARB Simpson II Tent and the ladder is not designed to carry any of the weight at all.

The very large and study brackets in the tent base support all the weight.

The ladder is just there to assist you in getting in and out, nothing more.

-

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & welcome!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone, appreciated.

welcome to the group Im in abby and if you got any ?about your rig pm me and ill help where i can ....Im always parked downtown and run the tattoo shop down there stop buy if you like if my fj's not there there will be my lifted lexus....
Oh that's yours? Sweet ride man, I can't help but admire it every time I drive by (like today, twice). I'll stop by in the new year sometime and introduce myself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have the factory roof rack, would that need to be changed to get a tent for the roof? i have a full size 16 foot camper that i plan on towing but sometimes it won't go everywhere.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do a search of all our roof top tent installations and builds on this forum. Quite a few folks started out with the factory racks with added thule cross bars/racks, but it usually is too high off the roof to stay that way for long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts