Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
You keep asserting that ABS shortens stopping distances but it does not. In order to explain why, one has to examine the actions of an ABS sytem. It pulsates the brakes full on, then full off in quick succesion, in lower end cars about 4 times a secon, and in higher end cars, upwards of 15-20 times per second. How can it provide maximum stopping distance if the brakes are not applied the entire time? Constant force on the brake rotors or drums can provide more stopping power than the on-off force of ABS. The idea behind ABS is that there will be situations where you will need to slam the brakes, but often you won't have time to stop, even if you are driving an indi car, so ABS keeps the wheels from locking up so you can maintain most of your steering control. Even if you do not hold the brakes right at the retardation point, you can still effectively brake faster than with the ABS pulsating. ABS maintains steering control, it does not make the vehicle stop in shorter distances.

You sound like you know what you are talking about when it comes to driving, and you could probably stomp me in a race on a track, but I pride myself in my ability to effectively brake my vehicles :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
ititig8 and mpd8488, I applaud you both. A very lively and educational discourse. I've learned a few things. To sum-up, I think you both are correct.

My training has shown Anti-lock Brakes as an aid to maintain steering control while braking to help you to, hopefully, avoid the obstacle. ABS is not shown to help stopping distances. Two of the other four Star Safety System components do this; Brake Assist and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution. These systems allow the maximum braking energy to be used when needed and on the wheels, front or back, where it'll do the most good.

The benefits of these systems are proven and this is why they make up 60% of Toyota's 5-point safety system standard on all of their Sport Utility's.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts