Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to wire my cb (midland 5001z) to my interior fuse box but need help. Im thinking of using an add a circuit but it says I can only use up to 10 amps. My cb requires a 12v and I dont know the conversion for the two. If you could help me out on what fuse to use and if I can use the add a circuit it would be really helpful thanks.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be fine with an add a circuit and a 10amp fuse. Why not go direct to the battery and run an inline 10 amp fuse to positive side?
I was thinking about it but I am not good at soldering so I thought I would keep everything inside were I can use nutt connectors. Thanks for the quick answer

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
If your CB pops a 10amp fuse there is something wrong with it. You're fine to use the add-a-circuit. Just use a multimeter to find a circuit that puts out power when you want it (i.e. constant 12v or switched with the key 12v)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I am trying to wire my cb (midland 5001z) to my interior fuse box but need help. Im thinking of using an add a circuit but it says I can only use up to 10 amps. My cb requires a 12v and I dont know the conversion for the two. If you could help me out on what fuse to use and if I can use the add a circuit it would be really helpful thanks.
If your CB pops a 10amp fuse there is something wrong with it. You're fine to use the add-a-circuit. Just use a multimeter to find a circuit that puts out power when you want it (i.e. constant 12v or switched with the key 12v)
Use the add a circuit, 10A is way more than you should need. I looked through the manual, weird it doesn't say how many watts or amps the units uses. It must be printed on the unit itself.

I'd use a full time on location

Here is the fuse box guide

This information has been moved (Click Link) due to the closing of contributing Member’s threads.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for all the help, i found out wat my problem to begin with was though, the reason i never got power without the add a circuit was because underneath the headliner the fuse popped out of the case.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Correction i am now back to square one, I think my cb might have an internal issue because I got a new fuse. I have my wire grounded and from the picture above I have the add a circuit in the bottom row third slot in. The add a circuit has a 10a fuse in slot b like instructions say, but when I go to test it with the multimeter and turn it to +/_ toward the bottom of the multimeter i get a noise when I take the black wire to a grounded bold and touch the red wire into one of the negative holes on the wire not the positive hole, any ideas?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds crazy, but try plugging in your add a circuit upside down or put a fuse in the other slot on the black part of add a circuit
Greg

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds crazy, but try plugging in your add a circuit upside down or put a fuse in the other slot on the black part of add a circuit
Greg
SUCESS!! thank you! when I turned the add a circuit so that the slot b fuse is pointing to the left it worked

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new problem, i went to tune the radio with a radioshack swr meter, on channel one im in the red zone. I read that this means either something is wrong with the cable or the antenna isnt setup right. im thinking its the antenna which is on an all pro bandi mount and the antenna is a 3ft firestick 2. what i think maybe the problem is that I drove into the garage last month with the antenna on and heard some crackling from the center so i think it might of cut the cable, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Broken antenna may be the culprit. Also check the grounding between the antenna hardware and the mount, then the mount and the truck body. That is the source of nearly every swr issue I have seen.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Broken antenna may be the culprit. Also check the grounding between the antenna hardware and the mount, then the mount and the truck body. That is the source of nearly every swr issue I have seen.
so i resanded the mount area on the vehicle itself and also on the mount were it meets the vehicle. My swr on channel 40 actually went up :lol:, im thinking it might be my antenna now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts