Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. The 6Mt has it. So do the 4Runners with part time and full time systems. Not sure why the 5AT was left out. Definitely would improve driving on wet and snowy surfaces.

Zane

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I think you mean Torsion.

Nope,

Toyoda Machine Works Ltd., in 2003, purchased the worldwide Torsen division from Robert Bosch / Zexel Corporation. Zexel Torsen, Inc. was then renamed Toyoda-Koki Automotive Torsen North America Inc. to reflect this change. The company name change became effective September 1, 2003.

Koyo Bearing Corporation merged with Toyoda Machine Works and formed JTEKT. This new company will have its focus on four major product lines of which Torsen is part of their Automotive Driveline business. Our Rochester, NY division has been renamed JTEKT Torsen North America, Inc. which is responsible for sales of Torsen differentials in North America.

The ONLY Official TORSEN Home Page!

I'd be willing to bet that this addition/revision would have come to the FJ if production of the model series lasted long enough. I believe the current 4Runner Multimode system offered on the V-6 would be ideal for the FJ. It allows 2wd, AWD (w/center diff free), and 4WD (w/center diff locked)

Auto manufacturers "reserve" certain features to introduce in subsequent model years. In our case, it's been things like side visors, rear view camera, TSC off, etc.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nope,

Toyoda Machine Works Ltd., in 2003, purchased the worldwide Torsen division from Robert Bosch / Zexel Corporation. Zexel Torsen, Inc. was then renamed Toyoda-Koki Automotive Torsen North America Inc. to reflect this change. The company name change became effective September 1, 2003.

Koyo Bearing Corporation merged with Toyoda Machine Works and formed JTEKT. This new company will have its focus on four major product lines of which Torsen is part of their Automotive Driveline business. Our Rochester, NY division has been renamed JTEKT Torsen North America, Inc. which is responsible for sales of Torsen differentials in North America.

The ONLY Official TORSEN Home Page!

I'd be willing to bet that this addition/revision would have come to the FJ if production of the model series lasted long enough. I believe the current 4Runner Multimode system offered on the V-6 would be ideal for the FJ. It allows 2wd, AWD (w/center diff free), and 4WD (w/center diff locked)

Auto manufacturers "reserve" certain features to introduce in subsequent model years. In our case, it's been things like side visors, rear view camera, TSC off, etc.
Nice explanation Rover!!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
The 6Mt has it. So do the 4Runners with part time and full time systems.
So does every U.S. Land Cruiser, FJ80 and later (since 1991), and they all have auto trannies.

Not sure why the 5AT was left out. Definitely would improve driving on wet and snowy surfaces.
I would prefer to have the Torsen center diff on my AT FJC, but if it's wet or snowy enough to need it then engaging the part-time 4WD is not going to hurt anything and you will get 98% of the benefit of the full-time system.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for the info Rover. I was wondering why I had such incredible traction when driving in the wet stuff. I still have not spun the wheels as of yet. Nice post.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Before the "I'd Like to Tell Toyota" section was created on the forum, the desire for Torsen on the 5AT was expressed in other threads in the General Discusion section.

I voiced my preference for this enhancement on the 5AT before and will do so here again. However, if Toyota is going to abandon the FJ Cruiser after the current production cycle (typically 5 years), then I suspect there is little chance the FJ Cruiser 5AT will ever come with this transfer case.

If there is a bright spot for the FJ Cruiser, the August 2008 sales were higher than sales in the months of June and July, but still way off from August 2007.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Happy to have helped then by adding to the September numbers by one. If the price of gas comes down they numbers may come up a little, but there are fewer people who will part with their money 20 miles at a time.

As for the missing mod, it would be nice to see some added surefootedness in the wet and slippy given that's why I bought it to begin with. Sorry for the assumption of a typo, but at least I now stand both corrected and informed. A happy conclusion all the way around. :)

Edit:

By the way, Law don't go 'round here!

·
Registered
140 Posts
So is it possible to change the 5 A/T center diff to a Torsen like the 6 M/t's have
would it be detrimental to anything

·
Registered
657 Posts
I read somewhere that they couldn't fit the full-time transfer case in the auto was length. That transfer case is longer than the part time and would have made for a much shorter rear driveshaft and bad u-joint angles. It will fit with the manual because the tranny is shorter. It fits in the 4Runner because it has a 4 inch longer wheelbase. The torsen diff could be in the front differential though. Apparently it's now standard in the Raptor. Don't know how well it would work with A-Trac and Crawl, but it should reduce wheelspin as long as all the tires touch the ground.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
no need for AWD. RWD for play time and 4WD for off roading.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It pisses me off that the stupid thing won't do power slides in the snow as it is! Every time I start to get a good slide going that darn A-Trac kicks in and straightens everything right out!

I wanna be a drift driver......:wave:

·
Registered
341 Posts
It pisses me off that the stupid thing won't do power slides in the snow as it is! Every time I start to get a good slide going that darn A-Trac kicks in and straightens everything right out!

I wanna be a drift driver......:wave:
Hence the VSC disable switch you need to install! Takes about 10 minutes and BAM! Instant disconnect of the electronic nannies! Then you can do donuts and power slides and everything. :rocker:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 6MT is the best option for offroading. The open center diff allows 60% rear power, and at speed my FJ has proper turn in(does not understeer), unlike any other SUV I have driven. When the conditions get slippery, the back end becomes more stable when locking the center diff. Running old man emu 3" suspension lift(soft), BF Goodrich KM2 34" tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my Manual tranny 2012 FJ, holding the traction control button for 4 seconds while parked turns off traction control, but leaves ABS on. I spin out plenty in our snow, but only when turned off. There will be a traction control light that comes on when you turn it off, telling you it is off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Amen.
AWD 5AT would Rock !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts