Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
Sharing my frustration and hope someone can give me some clue.
I have a 2013 FJ-Cruiser, base model. Middle East market ("GCC"), manual gear.
I have the radio system with bluetooth for the mobile, but my model comes without steering wheel controls and without cruise control.

Comforted by some posts seen here about easy and successful upgrade of controls and cruise ctrl, i started procuring the parts for doing myself such upgrade.
So, i have a cruise ctrl stick on the way from somewhere in china, plus this morning i received the original TOYOTA part no.84250-35070 "Steering Pad Switch assy" (around 100$). I'm aware that, if i install this, then the Airbag&horn switch will need some cutting or replacement, but i planned to go step by step, achieve the components, test if they work and then decide about the biggest expenses (a new airbag part is around 500$...).

So, i have this "Steering Pad Switch assy" which is a 2-pads assembly, one for the radio controls, the other for the bluetooth, all harnessed together to a 12-pole connector. An additional single-pole wire goes from that connector towards the clip on the horn.

1) I unplugged the battery,
2) opened the steering wheel,
3) removed the existing 12-pole connector from the socket of the steering wheel (it was going to the horn only)
4) inserted in the same socket the 12-pole connector of the new switch assy. Note that it fit perfectly with a very professional "click" of the clip when it went to the end.
5) Reconnected the battery,
6) turned on the car,
7) tried the buttons. NONE OF THEM WORKS. And this is both for the radio part (left pad) and the bluetooth (right pad).

I checked that the "switch assy" 84250-35070 part i bought was supposed to fit 2013 models.
The radio which (I believe) came with the car the car is the Toyota PZ366-60003
I was inspired by this post:
Installed Steering wheel Audio control today

Anyone can tell me what i did wrong? In a couple of days i will have also the cruise ctrl stick to test, hope with more encouraging results...

Thanks!!
Enzo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like the steps you performed were right. I just installed these in my FJ last week. In my installation, the radio does not support Bluetooth so the right controls have nothing to control. The left control worked like a charm. What that meant was the SRS reel has the connections needed to pass the signal to the harness on the other side. Next the SRS reel harness connector has the wires that are also connected to the radio and lastly the radio knows what to do with the signals from the switches. For my Tundra, the SRS reel was connected to a populated harness, but some how the radio connector to the harness was not populated with the needed wires.

The easiest way for you to see if your harness is populated is to pull the radio and check the connectors. It might be there is no harness or wires (like my tundra) to pass the signal. if the wires are present that means the radio does not know what do do with the signal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the steps you performed were right. I just installed these in my FJ last week. In my installation, the radio does not support Bluetooth so the right controls have nothing to control. The left control worked like a charm. What that meant was the SRS reel has the connections needed to pass the signal to the harness on the other side. Next the SRS reel harness connector has the wires that are also connected to the radio and lastly the radio knows what to do with the signals from the switches. For my Tundra, the SRS reel was connected to a populated harness, but some how the radio connector to the harness was not populated with the needed wires.

The easiest way for you to see if your harness is populated is to pull the radio and check the connectors. It might be there is no harness or wires (like my tundra) to pass the signal. if the wires are present that means the radio does not know what do do with the signal.
Thanks Strato!
Did u maybe take some pictures of the missing harness and of the way how you fix that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Strato!
Did u maybe take some pictures of the missing harness and of the way how you fix that?

I believe what You meant is about the poles 21 to 28 which are getting lost from connector "I" to connector "H"...
when i will receive the cruise ctrl stick i will waste some time again on that. I will pull out the radio and see what is there.
I am worried to find a female connector which ends nowhere and no male connector to pair with... :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
No. Pictures. The tundra has the harness connectors, it just had no conductors (wires) for the dash controls. In this case the conductors wee missing from one of the two harnesses that completed the circuit. I was installing an after market radio and that requires a third party adapter. I just needed to connect the adapter to the harness that had the conductors.

What I would do if your FJ was mine, I would pull the radio and post some pictures of the connectors. That way we can see what we are working with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. Pictures. The tundra has the harness connectors, it just had no conductors (wires) for the dash controls. In this case the conductors wee missing from one of the two harnesses that completed the circuit. I was installing an after market radio and that requires a third party adapter. I just needed to connect the adapter to the harness that had the conductors.

What I would do if your FJ was mine, I would pull the radio and post some pictures of the connectors. That way we can see what we are working with.
Thanks, i will

1 - 6 of 6 Posts