Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned to live with all the blindspots on the FJ but the worse one for me is the front end when you are cresting a hill on a trail ... your hood is pointed skyward and you have no idea where you are heading! I recently saw a cheapo automotive video system on Amazon that included two cameras, 7" monitor, and all cabling so It thought it was worth the gamble to add some "eyes" around the FJ.
I put one camera on the front bumper (can be tilted up or down) and another on the roof rack pointing backwards. My '14 has the backup camera in the spare but I think the new one will work better with a trailer.
Routing the cables was super easy ... I put a fused relay in the engine bay and routed front up the A-pillar and the back door along the doorsill.
The display is pretty clear ... you can toggle the view between front, back, side-by-side, and over-under.
I used the blank switch position in my stock overhead console to energize the system. I learned that those switches are a different Toyota size than the ones in the dash (and I have a spare Camera switch in the regular size to give away!). The new switch dims properly but it is very bright so I think it's "stealing power" from the other switch illumination circuits. I may try an in-line resistor (anybody had success with this?)
Anyway, the system works great ... I'll see how it stands up to the trails, etc. As an added bonus, each camera is on a 10-minute recording loop (even if not displayed) onto a micro SD card so it's kind of like having two Go Pro cameras!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I added a Kenwood head unit that cones with 4 camera inputs, hooked one to the FJs rear camera and added a front facing one for off roading.

Works great
the Kenwood unit is: DMX957XR-wireless CarPlay etc

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it. J Paul what type of mount did you use to support the display?
Great question! The display came with two mounting options. My first choice was to glue a piece of wood under the headliner ahead of the CRAWL console and screw a bracket to it. I didn’t like the look and it didn’t hold the monitor high enough. I’ve temporarily tucked the bracket under the mirror but I’m planning for a thin stiff strap that tucks under the rear view mirror base with the other end screwing into the wood nearer the overhead console.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great question! The display came with two mounting options. My first choice was to glue a piece of wood under the headliner ahead of the CRAWL console and screw a bracket to it. I didn’t like the look and it didn’t hold the monitor high enough. I’ve temporarily tucked the bracket under the mirror but I’m planning for a thin stiff strap that tucks under the rear view mirror base with the other end screwing into the wood nearer the overhead console.
Thanks for the reply :) I'm hoping to mount my Samsung Tab A6 / OruxMaps in that location. The internal mirror support is easy to access and seems a solid foundation, but the bracket would need to be sturdy to avoid vibration. Do you have a pic of the bracket you used that you could share? Like you, I'm not into something that looks unacceptable but it might give me inspiration to improvise... also if you could share your idea for the thin stiff strap, I'd be grateful for that too. You've got me thinking of a bluetooth or wireless camera setup for the Tab A6 as well! Thanks again, Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Would you happen to have a link to it on amazon? I really like this set up :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Amazon posting earlier shows the mounting bracket I was going to screw to the roof but I didn’t like it. The other mounting bracket provided comes with two-sided tape for the dash but I flipped it upside down and slipped the base beneath the mirror trim. It hasn’t moved yet but I’ll consider more permanent options after I get a chance to look under the mirror trim!
7E88741D-54EF-4170-8B28-4EA6627D4A61.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks J Paul for the extra info, the Amazon mounting bracket doesn't impress me either :| The other mounting you flipped upside down and slipped between the mirror trim looks promising though. Just needs needs to be lengthened and formed to the mirror profile. I live in an apartment, my FJ is parked underground so it's challenging for me to work on something like this without elbow room and natural light. Thanks for the high quality pic!. Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
This happens in every vehicle if the hill is steep enough.

For example, it happened to me yesterday in my Prius C.

In San Francisco.

On a steep hill, not far from the ocean.

Either close your eyes and mash it. Or slowly edge forward until you can see. Up to you. A camera ain't gonna do you much good. You'll have to stop and take your eyes off the road.

Keep your eyes on the prize. 👈

1 - 13 of 13 Posts