Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always gone 100% aftermarket on stereo stuff but I have the E7019 and want to keep it. I have never added a harness to add an amp to my OEM Head unit and system. I am just going over it in my head and am confused on if the amp will power the whole system or can I specifically assign which speakers it powers and let the Head Unit power the other speakers, which ever one I may choose.

I could not find specific threads on this. If someone could elaborate on the how to configure this. I am guessing a few ways but would just like any first hand accounts. I usually over-think things and this is usually my hang up.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Adding and Amplifier to the OEM stereo

I Have a polk PA330 amp that just drives just my door 6x9 (infinity 693.9i). I left my head unit to power the dash,rear, and roof speakers. Does your head unit have RCA outs? If not you would need to find an amp that has speaker level input or buy a rca line level converter.

·
Registered
39 Posts

If I am understanding you correctly you would need a line out converter. Clip a set of speaker wires from the head unit, wire the converter and now you have RCA's. Run the RCA back to the amp and speaker wire out to the new speakers. I believe this is what you are trying to do!

You would need something like one of these....

Scosche Industries LOC80 Adjstbl Line Out Converter 80 Watts

A lot of 2 and 4 channel amps come with one.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

So I don't disturb the factory stereo wiring harness, I made this adapter with scosche line out converter

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts

Steve,

It sounds like your looking for amps with line level inputs or you can get more fancy with something like the JBL MS8 like I did(or will do - I still haven't gotten my stereo finished :lol: )

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks everyone, I was assuming I could get an amp without the level inputs if I get the harness Nestor is displaying. I wanted to make sure I could use just about any amp, Im looking to run just door speakers with the amp, I will let the HU run my dash and rear door speakers. I have the Tin Can sub mod so I have the KS mini125.2 Arc Audio running my sub and that did require the line inputs.

For this little mod I am looking at somthing with a small footprint like the Arc XXD 2080 or that Polk 330 looks like it would work too.

So cool, looks like I would run rca patch cord to harness, power, ground, remote and then just run my speaker wire to the speakers in my front doors and I should be good...I hope..right?:bigthumb:

ThomTT, I wasnt sure if you were still in the area, maybe we can attempt to get up so I can see how you did your system.

Nestor, like always thanks again, I sent you a PM about that other thing we talked about.

FJTTSE, You are still not done with your long list of mods?? including the stereo:lol: I know you will get there eventually:wave:

Omega, I also thank you ( I have bothered a couple of the other guys on here immensely, hence the retorts:lol:)

Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts

Yeah, if you need a hand just ask. I bought the polk pa330 because it was small, originally I was going to mount it behind the dash, but just took the easy route and installed it under the seat. I did the "tincan" mod using another PA330 also with great results and I can just pop the 110v cover plate to adjust it if needed.

Some good info on wiring a FJ FJ Cruiser stereo, amp, subwoofer, wiring installation instructions

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah, if you need a hand just ask. I bought the polk pa330 because it was small, originally I was going to mount it behind the dash, but just took the easy route and installed it under the seat. I did the "tincan" mod using another PA330 also with great results and I can just pop the 110v cover plate to adjust it if needed.

Some good info on wiring a FJ FJ Cruiser stereo, amp, subwoofer, wiring installation instructions
Thanks dude, where and how much did you pick up your amps for?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Polk Audio PA330 Bass Boost 300W Class AB 2Ch Car Amp - CowBoom Store

Then use the coupon code FatWallet5 for another $5 off.

Cowboom is owned by bestbuy and its where they are now sending all of there returned, store display, and open box items to.
Do you remember about what length amp rca patch cable you needed to get from the stereo to the amp under the seat? Just Curious. I am going to power my stereo like you did, I got the Arc Audio XXD2080 coming it is 6.5" x 7"....is there a place behind the dash this could fit?...I havent been back there in quite awhile I cannot remember.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It was a 6ft RCA I think. I thought I could fit it under the drivers sized dash. But wanted to be able to adjust it and I was slightly worried about heat. So I didn't really try to shoehorn it in. I might do it in the future and just shorten the wires now that I have it adjusted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts