Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 FJ has no convenience package and therefore no steering wheel controls.
I've found a 2013 at a junker and they're willing to sell the steering wheel and steering column for cheap. I believe there's an extra connector that my truck won't have.

These are the two wiring diagrams for the 2013 FJ (first pic) and 2008 (2nd pic)

They both use the same 3 wires to send signal to radio. So if I switched over the harness and added both control switches then I'd think my aftermarket radio could process the signals with a steering wheel adapter or idata module. The diagrams don't show the spiral harness wiring so I don't know if I'd be missing something there.

If anybody has an insight into this, then I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
I have a 2008 that I just added the right hand side buttons to like a 2010+ model. It was plug and play on my vehicle that had the FJammer 9 speaker audio. There were dozens of posts on this forum saying it wouldn't work because the wiring wasn't there back in 2008. I can assure you it worked on my 2008 model. The wiring was there and spiral cassette was already compatible with dual left/right controls. Sure is nice having that 2nd set of buttons. I'm using a Idatalink Maestro interfaced to a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. I flashed the Maestro for a 2010 model. Does your FJ have cruise control? If so, I would bet the wiring is already there in the steering column . The steering wheel control wire/plug for the radio might even be behind the dash.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2008 that I just added the right hand side buttons to like a 2010+ model. It was plug and play on my vehicle that had the FJammer 9 speaker audio. There were dozens of posts on this forum saying it wouldn't work because the wiring wasn't there back in 2008. I can assure you it worked on my 2008 model. The wiring was there and spiral cassette was already compatible with dual left/right controls. Sure is nice having that 2nd set of buttons. I'm using a Idatalink Maestro interfaced to a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. I flashed the Maestro for a 2010 model. Does your FJ have cruise control? If so, I would bet the wiring is already there in the steering column . The steering wheel control wire/plug for the radio might even be behind the dash.

Bibb in San Antonio
That's great help. You're right, everything I've read says it's not possible. So the additional wiring pigtail/connector is there for the right side correct? Mine has cruise control. I didn't have the FJammer though. Took the basic radio out and installed a Sony. I'm about to buy the whole steering column out of 2013 since the yards dont allow you to buy only the steering wheel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is only 1 connector that both left and right buttons are wired into. That 1 connector plugs into a female connector under the horn/airbag. There is a pigtail that plugs into the cruise switch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is only 1 connector that both left and right buttons are wired into. That 1 connector plugs into a female connector under the horn/airbag. There is a pigtail that plugs into the cruise switch.
Sweet, did you just cut your airbag cover on the sides?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sweet, did you just cut your airbag cover on the sides?

I guess I don’t understand the question. There wasn’t any cutting required to any parts to add the right side buttons to my 2008 steering wheel. I simply removed the horn/airbag, the left hand buttons and right silver blank. I then reassembled using a new 2010+ dual switch assembly and my original horn/airbag. No cutting, grinding or modifying at all to my airbag.

FYI, the left buttons and right silver blank take some patience and a small screwdriver to remove or you will break the plastic claws that hold them in place. In your case, you have 2 silver blanks on the wheel I would assume. If you search EBay, you will find a guy selling brand new “Genuine Toyota “ dual steering switches for about $135-140 with good photos of the switches for you to look at for reference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 08 doesn't have any steering wheel controls from factory so it doesn't use the blanks. The airbag cover extends to the edges of steering wheel. I'll have to cut the horn top plastic to align with the button modules. Toyota must have put blanks in for yours.

Found a pic online quick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I don’t understand the question. There wasn’t any cutting required to any parts to add the right side buttons to my 2008 steering wheel. I simply removed the horn/airbag, the left hand buttons and right silver blank. I then reassembled using a new 2010+ dual switch assembly and my original horn/airbag. No cutting, grinding or modifying at all to my airbag.

FYI, the left buttons and right silver blank take some patience and a small screwdriver to remove or you will break the plastic claws that hold them in place. In your case, you have 2 silver blanks on the wheel I would assume. If you search EBay, you will find a guy selling brand new “Genuine Toyota “ dual steering switches for about $135-140 with good photos of the switches for you to look at for reference.
Thanks for all the help! I'll post up pics once I get my new wheel installed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok, now I know what you are talking about. I remember a thread from like 12 years ago where a guy added the left switches and he had to cut the airbag/horn to do it. That thread is so old that the photos aren't visible anymore. I had also forgotten that there are 2 different FJ Cruiser steering wheels. A standard/base wheel and then the "leather/padded vinyl" wrapped version that was used in the option packages. As usual, there are always more variables between models than we like to think sometimes. This is why my dealer parts guy is always adamant about ordering parts by VIN# in order to insure they are correct for the specific vehicle. If the price is right, It might make sense for you to buy that complete steering assembly that you were talking about. Hopefully the 2013 airbag is compatible with the 2008 airbag computer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled my airbag off to take a look at the connectors. It seems that since my FJ is the base model it only has 3 pins going into the black connector. 1 for horn & 2 for cruise control. A newer wheel say 2013 will use the same connector but have more pins used in the connector. So I'm gonna go ahead and buy a wheel with both button sets instead of a whole column.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have done this mod on my tundra, and this is in progress for my FJ. In short the radio controls left side only or right and left, both have the same connector. This connector also has wires for the cruise and horn. Just look at this ebay listing picture and you can see the cruise and horn connections. NEW GENUINE 2010-14 Toyota FJ Cruiser Steering Audio/Phone Controls 84250-35070 | eBay

So to install these, you remove your existing connector and disconnect the horn and cruise connection. Install the new controls and make the connections from the new connector to the horn and cruise. Now you need to either replace (cleanest way) or cut your existing air bag to fit. Personally I sourced a replacement airbag. Now depending on what wires Toyota has in the harnesses, you will tap them with the aftermarket Audio control interface as part of the installation. Based on what I have seen in part numbers, my guess is that Toyota used a common dash harness and the connectors and wires are there all the way to the radio connectors. I just have yet to install mine to see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have done this mod on my tundra, and this is in progress for my FJ. In short the radio controls left side only or right and left, both have the same connector. This connector also has wires for the cruise and horn. Just look at this ebay listing picture and you can see the cruise and horn connections. NEW GENUINE 2010-14 Toyota FJ Cruiser Steering Audio/Phone Controls 84250-35070 | eBay

So to install these, you remove your existing connector and disconnect the horn and cruise connection. Install the new controls and make the connections from the new connector to the horn and cruise. Now you need to either replace (cleanest way) or cut your existing air bag to fit. Personally I sourced a replacement airbag. Now depending on what wires Toyota has in the harnesses, you will tap them with the aftermarket Audio control interface as part of the installation. Based on what I have seen in part numbers, my guess is that Toyota used a common dash harness and the connectors and wires are there all the way to the radio connectors. I just have yet to install mine to see.
Yup this is my plan, I ordered the PAC SWI-RC-1 to interface with my Sony headunit. Salvage yard is sending me my new wheel, they let me have it for $75 shipped. Out of a 2013 TTSE with leather and both controls. Way easier than I had initially thought. Airbags are like $300+ though so I'll just cut the plastic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
See if you can get the blown airbag from one with controls. As far as I can tell, the sides you would need to cut can be removed and attached to your unblown bag.

I used the PAC on my tundra. I did not get too much functionality out of it, but enough for vol+/- pause and mute. The iDatalink Maestro RR is what I plan to use on my 2010 FJ

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems like it's one piece of molded plastic. Wouldn't taking it apart require unpacking it? I definitely don't want to be pulling airbags apart. From what I've read the PAC offers functions for all the buttons and additional functions can be programmed on long presses. I had the maestro RR in my Honda but wanted to go for something cheaper in the FJ since my headunit is pretty basic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was referring to the left/right "Arms" on the air bag. I have seen one picture that made them look like separate pieces. That is why I said get a blown bag cover to see if they can be removed. Edit: I found a few other pictures that show it is one molded part. So that goes that idea. So it is cutting or swapping.

The PAC I think it is more about my Alpine radio, CarPlay and what functions I programmed (mapped). It was far better then nothing with no dash controls at all. It was very hard to drive and raise/lower the vol because of the head units physical design and placement of the controls (lower edge) and the dash design (lip) that drove me to install them. The FJ dash looks the same, with a lip. While it is true you can program the PAC functions, there are only so many functions that the radio will take.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I installed the dual controls and replacement airbag in my 2010. With the OEM headunit still installed, the left set of switched worked without any changes. I assume the OEM heading does not know what to do with the right switches.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got my steering wheel cover in the mail from RedLine Goods, hoping to get my 2013 wheel wrapped and installed soon. Will post pics!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts