Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post a new thread explaining my quest for factory Bluetooth. I own a 07 FJ that came with the upgraded audio package with the FJammer and a subwoofer. I never liked the sound of this head unit and wanted factory Bluetooth so I upgraded my HU to the Pioneer unit from the 2012 FJ's.

The head unit alone wasn't enough to add Bluetooth, I needed a microphone and the steering wheel controls.
However, I had been reading on here in multiple places that trying to add Bluetooth controls isn't possible because of the wiring down the steering column.
But I'm a "don't believe it if I don't see it" kind of guy, so I ordered a handsfree control off eBay, which had the audio and Bluetooth buttons, so I had to remove my original audio buttons.
I also ordered a Toyota microphone from eBay. After hooking up the SWC, nothing happened, I realized everyone on the forum was right. Then I decided to hook up the mic anyway, and suddenly Dr. Frankenstein was amazed!! It was alive! Alive!!!

The Bluetooth buttons lit up, the unit started talking to me and taking commands from me. It was glorious!!
It should be noted I do have cruise control.

So let it be known, the wiring down the steering column WILL in fact work with the Bluetooth buttons in the 07 and up FJ's.

Premium Member
Since this has been asked numerous times over the years... I've stickied this thread.

馃嵒 馃嵒 馃嵒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the factory Pioneer head unit from a 2012 model. Everything worked except the aux port. I replaced it with an aux/usb port that plugs into an adapter, which plugs into the 6脳6 input in the rear of the HU.

Registered
I went a different route. I kept my radio and added bluetooth. With this:

Very easy install, now my phone connects via bluetooth, the steering wheel controls work and the kit includes a microphone for phone calls. The website has a video on the install.

I never liked having to change music tracks by playing with my phone. Now I can change tracks from the steering wheel.

Premium Member
I installed the Scosche BlueFusion behind my OEM headunit (FJammer) to gain bluetooth. I think you need SAT radio in order to use this system though:

Edit: I don't think they make this product anymore though...

Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
I'm with you James, sometimes I just need to see it for myself. Great job!

Once you get tired of the 2012 fjammer radio and you start itching for something touchscreen but still factory, look at the various radios found in the Scions and Toyota 86. All the bluetooth features and buttons work just fine but I'm not sure about the factory sub/amp (I dont have that).

Registered
I wanted to post a new thread explaining my quest for factory Bluetooth. I own a 07 FJ that came with the upgraded audio package with the FJammer an
d a subwoofer. I never liked the sound of this head unit and wanted factory Bluetooth so I upgraded my HU to the Pioneer unit from the 2012 FJ's.

The head unit alone wasn't enough to add Bluetooth, I needed a microphone and the steering wheel controls.
However, I had been reading on here in multiple places that trying to add Bluetooth controls isn't possible because of the wiring down the steering column.
But I'm a "don't believe it if I don't see it" kind of guy, so I ordered a handsfree control off eBay, which had the audio and Bluetooth buttons, so I had to remove my original audio buttons.
I also ordered a Toyota microphone from eBay. After hooking up the SWC, nothing happened, I realized everyone on the forum was right. Then I decided to hook up the mic anyway, and suddenly Dr. Frankenstein was amazed!! It was alive! Alive!!!

The Bluetooth buttons lit up, the unit started talking to me and taking commands from me. It was glorious!!
It should be noted I do have cruise control.

So let it be known, the wiring down the steering column WILL in fact work with the Bluetooth buttons in the 07 and up FJ's.

hi man thanks for all the info.
quick question... can you provide the part number or link for the microphone? Thanks a lot. Also I read some where that the jbl radio doesn't match with the Wiring harness of the 2008, only the pioneer. Is that correct? Thanks again

Registered
I went a different route. I kept my radio and added bluetooth. With this:

Very easy install, now my phone connects via bluetooth, the steering wheel controls work and the kit includes a microphone for phone calls. The website has a video on the install.

I never liked having to change music tracks by playing with my phone. Now I can change tracks from the steering wheel.
Can you also answer the phone? or hung up from the steering wheel with this kit? Thanks

Registered
The link to the microphone is in this thread above, as well as the steering wheel controls.
If you don't currently have a JBL unit, then it won't be just plug and play to add it. You will need an additional wiring harness.
Hey Clark , thanks for the response... I got everything working my HU is pioneer as well...the only thing that鈥檚 driving me insane is the usb/aux insert, how can I make it work? What kind of wiring harness or parts Do I need? Thanks a lot for the help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These 2 items can ease your frustrations

Registered
These 2 items can ease your frustrations

Man you are the best. Let me ask you, Do I need to buy both to make it work? Thank a lot.

Registered
07 fj
Hello great info. New member here 07 fj. Fjammer crapped out. Non jbl. Purchased a 11 fj pioneer 2nd gen radio unit. Non jbl also. Ordered the 6/6 aux and iPod connection as well. When all arrives ill give it a go.
Also definitely want to update the bluetooth. So i plan on ordering the steering wheel controls and microphone as Posted by james above.
Great work and research james!!
Cheers!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts