Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to determine if there is power in the suicide doors. I want to add Power Outlets and/or USB Outlets, maybe some interior LEDs but before I tear into the panel, I'd like to hear from someone who's done it.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I don't if anyone has done that but it should not be hard. Just follow the wiring where someone added 12v outlets and increase wiring to where you want it.

I have speakers in the suicide doors so adding wiring there is not too difficult.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wouldn't tap off of another circuit, as it was designed to run a certain amperage and you'll overload the circuit. Instead, get yourself an Add-a-Fuse (here: https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2) and tap into an open circuit that's 12V switched positive in the fuse panel under the dash. Then run a wire to your doors and add ground and you're done.

Personally, if I were doing this and wanted my rear passengers to have power I'd add two outlets at the rear of the center console. This would be much easier to wire and provides a more central location rather than having items plugged into doors that open and close. Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wholly agree with DucRider. Plugging and unplugging connections from the door everytime you want to open it would be an engineering feat similar to putting the front seatbelts in the rear doors instead of the floor.

I wouldn't tap off of another circuit, as it was designed to run a certain amperage and you'll overload the circuit. Instead, get yourself an Add-a-Fuse (here: https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2) and tap into an open circuit that's 12V switched positive in the fuse panel under the dash. Then run a wire to your doors and add ground and you're done.

Personally, if I were doing this and wanted my rear passengers to have power I'd add two outlets at the rear of the center console. This would be much easier to wire and provides a more central location rather than having items plugged into doors that open and close. Just my .02 cents...

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
+1, also go with a marine/motorcycle water-tight solution, something like:

Aliexpress.com : Buy Motorcycle Waterproof Dual 2 USB Port Power Socket Mobile GPS Charger Car Boat Marine Car vans Flush Mount 12V 1A 2.1A from Reliable boat listing suppliers on nordsononline

Wiring this from the back of the center console to the front fusebox would take 10-15 minutes tops.

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,199 Posts
I agree with the observations on opening and closing the doors with something plugged in but if the OP wants somewhere to charge phones etc it isn't such a bad idea. A phone would just drop into the door pocket out of the way whilst they charge...there are some merits for outlets there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.