Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,
For those contemplating adding a (semi) permanent Ram type mount, I just did it and it aint that hard. Yes, you've gotta drill a little, but really, its easy...

So I decided I wanted a mount to the side of the radio for a tablet (Ipad Mini). The fixed dark plastic frame to the center console is nice and solid. I've seen several members mount their stuff here & it works well for both the driver & passenger.

Pretty easy to unscrew & pop off the two silver accent pieces, then unscrew & pop off the radio face plate.

I chose a spot just inside the nut plate at the upper right corner of the console. I had to open up the frame a little to gain access to tighten the nuts. Drilled two holes for the RAM diamond mount plate & used two 10-24x1" machine screws & ny-lock nuts. In there SOLID!
:rocker:

Panels back on & mounted her up. Pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mounted up :)

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,324 Posts
Looks great.

I did the same following Fairbro’s lead but with small hands managed to do it without cutting access holes. Added a hole for the wires to thread through too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did the same thing for my iPad but I added a thin rectangle bracket to the back (inside of dash) for added support. With the weight of the iPad and the angular pressure due to iPad weight I was not sure it plastic would fatigue with time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was wondering whether a rectangular metal piece on the inside of the dash would be sufficient to hold the weight of a 12” iPad plus mounting case... I suppose that the longer the rectangular inside bracket the better. This would be helpful to distribute the vertical load of what is in essence a lever pushing on the plastic dash up and down as you are bumping off road...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, anyone here has any experience with 67 Designs mounting hardware? There seems to be a preference for Ram mounts here, but 67 Designs appear to be better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As an alternative, has anyone installed a rail on top of the dashboard in front of the three gauges (i.e. above the center vents)? Something like the image below?

Does anyone know what the top of the dashboard is made of? Is that metal under there? That would provide a strong base for those four screws, and a rail like that can be used with two balls/arms for a tablet and a phone, for example...

·
Registered
19 Posts
As an alternative, has anyone installed a rail on top of the dashboard in front of the three gauges (i.e. above the center vents)? Something like the image below?

View attachment 1124764

Does anyone know what the top of the dashboard is made of? Is that metal under there? That would provide a strong base for those four screws, and a rail like that can be used with two balls/arms for a tablet and a phone, for example...
Do a search. It's recently been done with a RAM mount.

·
Registered
64 Posts

View attachment 1124764

I did. Worked out very well. Bought multiple items to achieve this:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts