Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to add Sirius, is it possible to add the factory Sirius kit with the 6-speaker system (no upgrade package)?

·
Registered
514 Posts
If I want to add Sirius, is it possible to add the factory Sirius kit with the 6-speaker system (no upgrade package)?
there is no way to control it through the factory radio with that head unit. you can always buy any of the portable ones and use it either via the fm transmiter or by using a patch cord through the AUX plug on the dash. i had a portable unit first then decided to replace the head unit with the fjammer and the sirius. ya it sounded better with the portable.....

scotty

·
Registered
514 Posts
there is no way to control it through the factory radio with that head unit. you can always buy any of the portable ones and use it either via the fm transmiter or by using a patch cord through the AUX plug on the dash. i had a portable unit first then decided to replace the head unit with the fjammer and the sirius. ya it sounded better with the portable.....

scotty

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
You can usually find people selling their FJammer. I just picked up the Sirius antenna kit from a guy on here for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know this post is old, but hey, I'm reading it...

There's another way that nobody has mentioned, so I'll do it... You can pick up a sirius satellite radio (external) at any electronics store. It will have an FM transmitter "built in", but you'll never get great sound from it. If you're like me, you want the cleanest sound possible, and yes, using the "aux" input to the factory radio will work.

But, it will have "wires all over the place". The other option, which is probably the cleanest, but a little time consuming is to buy an RF signal generator (that might be the wrong term, but continue reading). What it does, is takes the radio frequency signal that comes out of the Sirius unit and instead of broadcasting it like a radio, it sends the signal to an "antenna input" similar to the one that is wired from your factory radio antenna (on the hood) to the factory radio. It will have a piggyback plug, so that you plug in your RF signal generator into the factory radio and then plug the antenna wire into the back of the RF signal plug.

Then, you can just hard-wire your Sirius radio to a power source, run this RF cable to the radio, and have it up on the dash (mine was in the driver's side windshield corner) with all of your wires hidden underneath the dash. You get a crystal clear signal that you never have to change (the RF greatly overpowers any signal that is broadcasted).

The RF signal generator does need a 12V power source, but you can wire it together with your Sirius radio all on one simple fuse "add a circuit".

I had this setup in my previous car and it was clean, sounded great, and was easy to install. You don't have to cut any wires or even use a wire tap for anything except an add a circuit (simple plug and play).

Sorry for being so wordy, but this setup will work for anything that broadcasts over a specific radio frequency (XM, Sirius, possibly even some Nav units that have the music storage).

If you have any questions, PM me or email [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts