Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

Couldn't find any threads about adding a dual USB socket on the rear door. Goal is to add a storage rack on the rear door and charge electronics attached to the door.

Anyone do this? If not, anyone know the best place to tap into available power? Not looking for a lot of amperage.

Thanks!

Doug (A very new owner of a used 2010 FJ).

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Something like this (LINK) would be good in the rear door. Pretty sure there's a lot of free space inside the door towards the middle. Watch this video (LINK) for info on how to remove the rear door panel. Running a power wire to the door is pretty easy, fish it from the dash fuse block (using an add-a-fuse) under the floor mat and into the rear jack compartment. From the rear jack compartment you can push the wire through the rear door wire boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi,

Did mine but I put it just above the AC outlet in the back just trying to keep all the outlets together. My outlet is very similar to the one StrangerRanger posted with the exception of the voltage readout and mine has the std 12v cig adapter as well as USB. There are lots of different types...Ebay is your friend. :grin I fished mine down the passenger side from a secondary DC bus that I have running off my second battery. Also I wanted to have the ability to kill power to the outlet I installed a weatherproof switch (the red one) and a momentary switch (the yellow one) to check the voltage from the back of the rig. I didn't want the voltage display on all the time adding to the drain of the battery so the voltage switch was installed inline prior to the master switch so I can check voltage even with the outlet off. Turned out pretty good...love these outlets, cheap and look great. Also the reason I put the switch facing the door is so it didn't accidentally get switched on/off by items in the back that might shift while driving.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CoyoteAssassin

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great write-up on your rig and your adventures.....I had also done a number of those mods myself. Always something fun and useful to do to these great rigs! Great spot for the outlet on the door, unfortunately my M-PAC MOLLE mounts occupy the whole door so one more reason why I put it next to the AC outlet. Those outlets sure are useful though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts