Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 'front ended' and the insurance company simply cut a $4200 check to the auto body shop. After calculating costs of OEM parts, they agreed to call it even and install a new Warn front bumper instead of the factory tupperware. I am planning on adding the Warn M8000 winch = lots of extra weight on factory suspension.

I am looking for advice on what to buy / install. Here is an overview of how I drive: 70% highway / 30% loose gravel, snow, grass, and slick but not deep mud. I am not looking for extra ground clearance, but I have know idea how the factory suspension will hold up. I think the winch weighs about 75 lbs and the bumper weighs 130#.

Here is the big question: OME HD Lift or spacers? Is there a difference in the way either one of these options handle weight? Is it just spacing and leveling that we are talking about here? I am thinking I need a stiffer rate spring to retain handling after I add weight, and I don't see how a spacer can help. But, I really don't know what I am talking about either!!. When I search on the forum, everyone points to the OME rather than spacers (Toytech) but if I am not hard core wheeling does it make a difference? Can any shop (St. Louis area) install either one? Any St Louis recommendations for installation?

Thanks in advance for any words of advice on this.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,468 Posts
yes, you need a stiffer spring rate. Whether that is OME mediums or heavies is dependant on the weight. Most likely heavies.

Heavies without weight = stiff ride. With weight added they should be fine and give you the performance you need on the front end.

you will have to check the weight of your winch+bumper against the recommended loading for the OME springs.

Shocks are up to you. (well, springs/coilovers are as well...could be any brand...but spacers will not improve handling or ride with a lot of added weight.)

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
For the ridiculously over heavy Warn bumper and winch you need OME 886 springs and OME shocks up front.

Not very many folks run that bumper.
Its large, the clearance on it is pretty bad even compared to the ARB. I think the bumper alone is right at 200lbs? The bumper comparison thread shows it as 150lbs but i seem to remember seeing people actually weigh it and it was closer to 200.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know it is a heavy bumper, but that is what I was looking for. I have always owned 2500 Ram Diesels, with RanchHand front ends. I have witnessed several times how a HD bumper can avoid repair costs when hitting trees, wheelchairs, etc.. I rear ended a Silverado (my fault, first time) and am shocked to see the damage to the FJ. His truck had the rear bumper scratched and I have $4200 in damage.
I decided to go with heavy over lightweight just to have the solid mass in the front. True, less crumple zone if I hit a bridge, but odds are with me if I hit something more common like a Honda Civic.

Do I need to be concerned at all with the rear shock/springs? Looking at OME, I could save some serious $$$ just going with the front - is that considered enough?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Do I need to be concerned at all with the rear shock/springs? Looking at OME, I could save some serious $$$ just going with the front - is that considered enough?

Thanks!
Yes, you do need to lift the rear as well.

If you want to just take care of the front end and not have to lift the rear, you need to get adjustable coilovers. Though, most brands aren't designed for that amount of weight so you will probably need the manufacturer to customize the valving and use a stiffer spring than normal. Or just get the OME suspension with 886 front springs and 895 rear springs.

FYI, just the adjustable coilovers alone will cost you more than the complete OME 3" lift.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Yes, you do need to lift the rear as well.

If you want to just take care of the front end and not have to lift the rear, you need to get adjustable coilovers. Though, most brands aren't designed for that amount of weight so you will probably need the manufacturer to customize the valving and use a stiffer spring than normal. Or just get the OME suspension with 886 front springs and 895 rear springs.
Sway-A-Way's FJ Cruiser specific coilovers are actually 700lb coils compared to the OME 886's 660 so they would probably handle the weight a bit better even.

SWAY-A-WAY - axles, torsion bars, and shocks for trucks, cars, and off-road vehicles - Vehicle Make

Part number 56000-108-4

To the OP: If you like the Warn, go for it. In my opinion the ARB is just as stout of a bumper and significantly lighter with better angles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the education. I will be going with the OME HD front and rear (I tow occasionally over long distances).

Last question: Anybody have recommendations on who to buy from? I would like to support a forum vendor if at all possible.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Thanks for the education. I will be going with the OME HD front and rear (I tow occasionally over long distances).

Last question: Anybody have recommendations on who to buy from? I would like to support a forum vendor if at all possible.

Thanks again!
Toyota of Dallas (TRDParts4U)

They're awesome folks, they're one of the premier sponsors of the FJ Summit.

1-866-233-4305 (yeah I have it from memory lol)

You'll be speaking with Jacque or Barb.

Make sure you ask for the 886/896 setup. Fair warning: it will be a STIFF ride in the back without weight. I have the same springs, but I have a constant 200lb in the back.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts

Thanks again!
You will want to select your springs for everyday use. I would go with the mediums for the rear if you are not adding any extra weight in back. I run the OME heavies front and rear but I have Warn bumpers front and rear, a Warn Powerplant winch, dual batteries, TRD SC, full 5 piece Budbuilt skids, and I carry a lot of gear all the time. If you over spring your rig in the front the ride will be stiff and it will wear your CV's or worse. If you over spring the rear it will effect your ABS system under certain conditions. By this I mean if you are braking hard over the slightest road washboards, you will not be able to stop properly due to the ABS kicking in and the back bouncing. I do like the Warn bumpers and the OME set up on my rig. I am worried that if I went to a different brand I would have to crank the springs all the way up to support all the weight that I have.

·
Registered
937 Posts
. I am worried that if I went to a different brand I would have to crank the springs all the way up to support all the weight that I have.
Landy nailed it here for the right coil overs. The SAW units with their custom 700lbs springs they have made only have about 1/4" to 3/8" of exposed thread above the lock collar for a typical 3" lift. Where as the others that use the off the shelf 650lbs spring have to dial in allot of pre-load and have over 2" of exposed thread above the lock collar. Crank a SAW down 2" and you basically have a locked front end!

Carful with the 886 coils on the front, OME is no longer warranting them or the struts when used on the FJ Cruiser. They took them off the fit list for the FJC since the 886 springs are so strong they commonly blow out the struts internal travel limit stop. Bernd on the board here ran the same set up you are looking at for a bit. (Warn bumper + OME 886)

SpoonPIG700 If you are not looking for a lift but just supporting the weight of the bumper/winch I would encourage the SAW coil overs. They are designed to handle hard use and will allow you to adjust for ride height you want in the front leaving the rear stock. Then at a later date if you want to lift the truck you can adjust the coil overs up for the front and add in the rear springs and shocks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I like this post and all of the advice has been really useful. I am a little bit confused on the whole concept of lift vs weight compensation. I just installed a Lucrum mount with a smittybilt xrc8 comp winch. I had done a lot of research (or so I thought) and everyone said it would not affect stock suspension which is 100% wrong. I could tell instantly that the ride was lower and it is also visibly lower in the wheel well. It also feels 'stiffer'.

I am not complaining, I really like the setup but now I need to 'correct' the ride. Is there any downside to getting the OME 885 front coilover springs? Would this get me back to the ride I had before? If not....what other options do I have. I am sure many of you think this has been covered to death but if you have never looked at suspension mods it can be quite overwhelming.

I have a 2007 TRD with factory wheels and tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
The stiffness you feel is inherent in a spring. The further you compress it the more force it takes to compress it further (Force = spring constant * displacement).

885s will more than likely have you sitting higher in the front than in the rear with your setup. With an ARB bumper and 885s you will achieve 3 inches of lift on the front, so you'd need to lift the rear as well.

Ideally, you should be swapping out the front shocks and springs. The stock shocks are also not setup for all that extra weight.

I would think that if you wanted to have it sit level with that extra weight you would probably want the 883s or maybe the 884s (assuming you do not want to lift the rear).

I like this post and all of the advice has been really useful. I am a little bit confused on the whole concept of lift vs weight compensation. I just installed a Lucrum mount with a smittybilt xrc8 comp winch. I had done a lot of research (or so I thought) and everyone said it would not affect stock suspension which is 100% wrong. I could tell instantly that the ride was lower and it is also visibly lower in the wheel well. It also feels 'stiffer'.

I am not complaining, I really like the setup but now I need to 'correct' the ride. Is there any downside to getting the OME 885 front coilover springs? Would this get me back to the ride I had before? If not....what other options do I have. I am sure many of you think this has been covered to death but if you have never looked at suspension mods it can be quite overwhelming.

I have a 2007 TRD with factory wheels and tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Give ToyTec a call and explain your situation...they can explain exactly what you need. I have to concure with the OME comments. Great stuff, but way too strong for the FJ. OME Mediums at the most, otherwise it's going to be a very ruff ride.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Thanks to you both for the great advice. I want to do it right the first time so I am glad I asked before just ordering something that I didnt understand. I will take the advice of calling toytec and see what they recommend based on my situation.

This is why I love this site; help is just a search or post away. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP here - I wanted to thank all the posters for the great discussion. I ended up calling Jacque at TRDParts4U ... very helpful. I ordered and received the OME Heavy front, and MED rears. He was very friendly, and really knew what he was talking about.

He asked me if I was happy with the factory ride, and I told him I was not, mostly the front end dive braking. The heavies, with the weight of the Warn bumper and M8000 winch, seem to be a good solution.

A local shop quoted $250 :) for the install, so as soon as the FJ is back from the body shop with the new Warn bumper, off we go to the shop.

Thanks again! Once installed, I will write up how they feel.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
That is the setup i had running my ARB and winch and no rear bumper. It served me well :cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm in the process of adding the same combination. The bumper and winch are now installed. I'm waiting on the springs to arrive. The ride height dropped 1/2 inch after the install over factory suspension. A question that has been discussed in this and other threads is the added weight.

Here are the figures for this particular combination:
  • According to Warn the Bumper weighs 178#
  • According to Warn the winch weighs 78#
  • This totals a whopping 256#! (I don't care I still like it)
  • According to my mechanic's digital scale the OME steel bumper bar weighs 20#
  • Same scale, all the plastic weighed 15 pounds
  • Total OME assembly is 35#
  • 256 - 35 = 221 pound total added weight.

My driving is mostly over pavement with occaional moderate off-road travel in mud and snow, with no rock crawling. Considering this and all the information I've gleaned from this thread and other related threads, along with information obtained from vendors, I'm going with OME 884's in front and 895E's in the rear. This should give me nearly the same rake with about 1" lift (hardly noticeable). I need this as I use my towing package regularly. The below comments sealed my decision.

Carful with the 886 coils on the front, OME is no longer warranting them or the struts when used on the FJ Cruiser. They took them off the fit list for the FJC since the 886 springs are so strong they commonly blow out the struts internal travel limit stop. Bernd on the board here ran the same set up you are looking at for a bit. (Warn bumper + OME 886)
The 884 is considered a "light load lift coil". The term "light" is relative to OME. The vendor (Iron Pig Off Road) indicated that the 884 gives a 2" lift. Others said it gives 1 1/2". The 895E is supposed to provide a 1 " lift for the rear. Given the rake of the vehicle and the 1/2 inch drop that I got from the added 221 pounds, I'm think once the springs are installed, I'll either have the exact same rake with a 1 " lift all around, or I'll be slightly closer to level which is fine as long as I have some rake for towing. I'll chime in later with the final results for those having the same dynamics involved with their mods.

Thanks for all the great info!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I'm in the process of adding the same combination. The bumper and winch are now installed. I'm waiting on the springs to arrive. The ride height dropped 1/2 inch after the install over factory suspension. A question that has been discussed in this and other threads is the added weight.

Here are the figures for this particular combination:
  • According to Warn the Bumper weighs 178#
  • According to Warn the winch weighs 78#
  • This totals a whopping 256#! (I don't care I still like it)
  • According to my mechanic's digital scale the OME steel bumper bar weighs 20#
  • Same scale, all the plastic weighed 15 pounds
  • Total OME assembly is 35#
  • 256 - 35 = 221 pound total added weight.

My driving is mostly over pavement with occaional moderate off-road travel in mud and snow, with no rock crawling. Considering this and all the information I've gleaned from this thread and other related threads, along with information obtained from vendors, I'm going with OME 884's in front and 895E's in the rear. This should give me nearly the same rake with about 1" lift (hardly noticeable). I need this as I use my towing package regularly. The below comments sealed my decision.

The 884 is considered a "light load lift coil". The term "light" is relative to OME. The vendor (Iron Pig Off Road) indicated that the 884 gives a 2" lift. Others said it gives 1 1/2". The 895E is supposed to provide a 1 " lift for the rear. Given the rake of the vehicle and the 1/2 inch drop that I got from the added 221 pounds, I'm think once the springs are installed, I'll either have the exact same rake with a 1 " lift all around, or I'll be slightly closer to level which is fine as long as I have some rake for towing. I'll chime in later with the final results for those having the same dynamics involved with their mods.

Thanks for all the great info!
You will be disappointed with the 884s. I added a Demello bumper and noticed a significant increase in nose dive while braking. Your mileage will vary, but I would strongly suggest something heavier with your bumper/winch combo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the OME 884's in front and 895E's in the rear installed last week with the Warn front bumper and M8000 already in place. The fellow at Iron Pig Off-Road was just a bit off on his estimations of lift result. I ended up with 2 1/4 inches all around and did keep the same rake. I actually looks great in my opinion, with my Pro-Comp Extreme MT's.

I'll reiterate that I'm not a rock crawler and most of my driving in over pavement. At times I get muddy and also travel in deep snow, with an occasional creek crossing. None-the-less, I certainly wouldn't consider myself a hardcore wheeler. The winch is for stumps and recovery (could have used it for myself a couple weeks ago).

After the bumper and winch install, I immediately noticed that it wanted to dip to the outside of the turn on ramps. It also did a bit of nose-diving during braking actions. The OME 884's in front and 895E's in the rear took great care of this. I got acceptable lift and enough stiffening to handle the weight. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised to find that in spite of the extra 220 pounds up front and the 2+ taller stance, the sucker actually handles better than it did with the factory bumper and springs.

This turned out perfect for my needs. Looks way cool and handles just the way I need it to. I'm thoroughly satisfied. I did a combination of on and off-road driving today for about 4 hours. She did just fine. A bit stiffer but this should be expected. As for the extra weight, we're talking about 50 pounds more than the other comperable bumpers out there. I don't mind it. Of course this is for my applications. However, if your driving needs are similar, in my humble opinion one can't go wrong with this set-up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have Demello front and rear bumpers on order and a Warn M8000 waiting in the garage. I have an Icon stage II 3 inch lift. Will that be sufficient to support the new bumpers and winch?

Thanks,
Rick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts