Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed my new coilovers and pre adjusted them before i put them in. when i put them in i measured from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender. the left side is where it should be but the right is dialed down more than a half an inch in the collar and it is still a 1/2" higher in the fender to hub than the left. whats going on here? i'm stumped! it was level before i put these new coilovers in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have already adjusted the right well below the left by 9mm, that is a hell of alot. it is still 1/2 an inch to high on the right and i dont want to go any lower. there shouldn't be that much of a differance in collar travel from what i have read in other threads.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
really !! wow thats alot. i was talken to some other guys with my system and theres were within 1/8 of an inch. has any body eles had to do this to break level. its also pulling to the high side. wouldn't it pull to the low side?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
really !! wow thats alot. i was talken to some other guys with my system and theres were within 1/8 of an inch. has any body eles had to do this to break level. its also pulling to the high side. wouldn't it pull to the low side?
You may want to let the suspension settle for a week or so then readjust. Also get an alignment. If you're running the OEM upper control arms, don't adjust to any more than 2" of lift, otherwise your alignment tech won't be able to get it in spec.

You've adjusted the geometry of everything, so get an alignment soon. If you need any more help, post up some pics and we can help you get it figured out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Installed - 3" TGC Lift Kit & Wheels/Tires on a 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Bigshot previously said:
Very sharp looking rig.

Was just wondering how the alignment turned out after the lift was completed. Were you able to get in within spec with a total of 3" on the front?

Thanks

We send our trucks off site to a family owned alignment shop here locally when we are finished with the install. They had ZERO problems getting this FJ aligned properly.
i dont think that the alignment will be a problem. but i am very unhappy with this toytec kit. when i pre adjusted them and put them in there was only a 1/4 tank of fuel. i have driven it around on snowy bumpy roads to work the suspension and still the measurements are way off. im goimg to have to put the old ones back in buy the sounds of it. im gooing to run by the local shop and let them have a look or some thing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The best way for anyone to advise you is to put up a few pics! These are just bolt on! Really not that difficult at all,but you may have done something and pics would really help others assess the issue:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
its too dark out for pics, ill try tomorrow for some. there is a pull to the right when you accelerate in 4hi, could i have disconnected the CV axcel by acident. like when my uncle was helping me silde the coilover in and he pulled the rotor assembly out and away from where it was comfortalby sitting :( .........

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the procedure was this. blocked and removerd tires. removed 2 bolts on bottom of ball joint. removed bottom shock bolt. removed sway bar and linkage. removed top 3 nuts on coilover. removed old coils and replaced with preset toytec's that were set to the mm. and replaced everything as normal. not my first show down. this is the second kit ive installed. this is going to cost alot more now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have that issue on my '10 too. I adjusted one side down and the other up a little but what this does in you effectivly have two different spring rates. One side will have more or less compression and rebound then the other and not only does this affect the truck by bouncing around a lot it can be dangerous on the street. I have adjusted the collars back to even and just accept the lean for now. It' something in the truck its self as it still leans without the battery and an empty tank of gas. A trim kit is in my future wich will allow me to even it up without changing the compression on the spring. It was just such a ***** to take the coil over apart the first time :)

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I have that issue on my '10 too. I adjusted one side down and the other up a little but what this does in you effectivly have two different spring rates. One side will have more or less compression and rebound then the other and not only does this affect the truck by bouncing around a lot it can be dangerous on the street. I have adjusted the collars back to even and just accept the lean for now. It' something in the truck its self as it still leans without the battery and an empty tank of gas. A trim kit is in my future wich will allow me to even it up without changing the compression on the spring. It was just such a ***** to take the coil over apart the first time :)
Not really...

That's the beauty of adjustable coil overs. Although you are adjusting them differently, the spring rates remain the same. What it affects the most, is the shock travel. You are essentially raising and lowering the shock, not compressing/decompressing the spring.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I compensate by carrying around a few supermodels on the passenger side. 2 for a full tank of fuel, 1 for 1/2 tank.:cheers:

I loves my ToyTec adjustables.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts