Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I couldn't find a straight forward answer to my question elsewhere, so hopefully, this isn't a duplicate.

I'm looking to upgrade my lower links (rear lower control arms). I have an 08 FJ with a 2.5" OME lift using the Toytec Superflex springs in the back and 33" tires.

1) Do I need adjustable lower links? (I assume no because my OEM links work fine, I think).

2) Would I benefit from adjustable lower links? In other words, would I actually get more travel with my current setup if I had adjustable lower links?

3) Are adjustable lower links less reliable than the non-adjustable?

If it helps with your answers I only use the FJ if I'm going somewhere that requires 4x4, but I don't do anything extreme. A 5/10 at the most on trail difficulty. I'd like to upgrade mine because everyone says it's an important upgrade. Also, recently I landed my FJ's Cat tube protector on a big rock and saw that if I kept going forward the next hit would be the lower links, so I had to turn around because I knew the lower links aren't that strong.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
My view...No you don’t need adjustable links. The advantage of them if you have a lift is you can lengthen them slightly from standard to compensate for the change in angles from the lift. If you fit adjustable lowers then to match you need to change the uppers too to match it all up. No reason adjustable links should be less reliable, once adjusted to length they are ‘fixed’ by the mount points, won’t rotate etc.

I have approx 2”lift and have swapped both upper and lowers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My view...No you don’t need adjustable links. The advantage of them if you have a lift is you can lengthen them slightly from standard to compensate for the change in angles from the lift. If you fit adjustable lowers then to match you need to change the uppers too to match it all up. No reason adjustable links should be less reliable, once adjusted to length they are ‘fixed’ by the mount points, won’t rotate etc.

I have approx 2”lift and have swapped both upper and lowers.
If I get all the angles back to what they should be with adjustable, then would I expect any noticeable change in travel?

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Stock FJ lower links are a weak point in the suspension system if rock/ledge crawling. Threads on here discussing this with folks bending them when slammed into rocks and the aftermath of getting vehicles back home with the diff angle pointed up.

With your current rear lift, which is probably closer to 1.5”, adjustable control arms won’t give you much benefit. Your pinion angle is most likely still within spec.

The benefit would be the more robust lower control arm but you can get non-adjustable aftermarket lower control arms too.

In your wheeling trips if you see yourself contacting these arms with rocks, aftermarket arms might be a good investment.
The folks I have seen bend theirs were in some extreme rock ledges.

I don’t remember what binds to limit travel on the rear suspension but it might be your track bar or upper control arms

1 - 5 of 5 Posts