Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not into hard off-roading. Just the occasional mountain road but I want a level lift but do not want to buy new tires right now. I have the faulken wild peaks in 265/70/17 so I am thinking about 1.5 in the front is all I need. However in the future I may go with 275s or 285s and might want to lift it a little more. Don’t want to buy twice.
so... question is. Who makes a decent adjustable strut? I had a Tacoma years ago and used the bilstein 5100s. Not bad but not easily adjustable without removal. Is the Rancho any good? Knowing I am not hard core offroad. Just want decent road manners.

I have read through many posts but only get more confused

Greg

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i'd advise spending some time here first:

This is also a useful quick guide

Be careful in that some "adjustable" suspensions are not EASILY adjustable and require removal of the coilover from vehicle and then removal of the spring, changing out the spring perch location, recompressing spring and reassembling and reinstalling coilover into the vehicle (labor intensive and requires special knowledge and tools so you dont kill yourself removing/installing spring).

Some have strut assemblies where you can change spring preload and height because they have locking rings and adjustability. In some cases, you have to remove the weight on the strut to adjust in other cases you might have to remove entire strut to easily adjust.

Suspension is one of those things that many people say....I wish i had chosen more wisely so I didnt end up redoing it 2 or 3 times at a cost even greater than what they would have spent if they had done it "right" the first time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts