Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great info. I just had a lift installed and sure as sh**, have been getting flashed at least 2-3 times a night. Quick 5min job with a phillips screw driver and all fixed. Lost count on clicks because after about 3rd one I couldn't hear or feel the clicks anymore. Now lets see if my aux. driving lights behind grill upset anyone! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ive really had a hell of a time with this. I know exactly where the teeth knobs are which i like to call them. I have only messed with the upper knobs on both lights. On one i accidently kept turning clockwise then realized i was supposed to turn counter clockwise. It doesnt look like ive really messed anything up but the left headlight does seem to shine a bit more horizontal on the ground i noticed . Ive turned the knobs so many times i lost count,lol . I was on a flat surface while doing this for the most part but did not notice the lights moving downward at all which is the very point in trying to do this. Either way stock or a 3 inch lift wouldnt matter if theres a car lower than you of course the light will shine into there eyes. idk i think ill mess with it another day.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another "thank you" for the thread - switched to HID and was getting flashed constantly for the last two nights. Many turns of the screws fixed the problem :bigthumb:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glad you got your light problem fixed socuba. The lower knobs are what i will def mess with just like what are shown in the pictures. Ill mess with these over the weekend and should take care of the problem aswell. Thanks guys for the pictures!!! plus info !!! Love the forums.

·
Registered
68 Posts
we get flashed all the time by other drivers, just assumed it was because we have HID's. I'll have to try and adjust ours down a bit also and see if it helps. I drove in front of ours at night and thought headlights were bright but not to the point where i'd get irate and pissed as others do when we're behind them LOL

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Saved!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks a Ton Guys!!! Good lookin out! I put a lift on a month ago and really liked how well I could see but everyone kept flashing me. I just parked with the headlights pointing on a wall and ajusted them in minutes! thanks again dan

·
Registered
211 Posts
Because I am a guy and don't read instructions, I spent like 10 minutes adjusting the lights not noticing any difference and kept turning them clockwise then counter clockwise, then clockwise again. Did the same for both lights and yet my lights horizon didn't change.

So I checked this post again and turns out I was turning the wrong nob and instead was playing with the left and right aim screw! So I went back down to the car and tried to remember how much I adjusted them so I could put it back in stock but don't think I got it right. So I don't know how much a person can mess up the left and right aim of the lights but hopefully I didn't completely screw it up.

I then found the horizon aiming screws and turned them around 20 clicks since with 12 I didn't notice them dipping much. Not sure if 20 clicks is too much will have to see tonight once I leave work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just turn my lights down to the daytime running lights as I'm about to pass someone. Other than that they can pack sand!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Since I installed a 2" leveling kit Im getting more flashes from oncoming cars, I simply ignore them as most of them have those high intensity bulbs that are much worse and too bright IMHO. Although, sometimes I feel guilty being behind a small car at a red light or drive through.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
i just want to join the chorus of people singing "great thread!". i let the guys at my local shop adjust my headlights today when i took her in for an alignment and when night fell i discovered they must have adjusted them on high beam and thought they were adjusting the lows. the light from the low beams stopped abruptly about 15 feet in front of my truck, and the high beams looked just like the low beams used to look, only brighter. i double-checked my own perception of this by driving in traffic with my high beams on (still in the dark of night), and sure enough, i didn't get flashed once. so i came and found this thread, groaned at the post saying you had to remove the grille and use the screws on the back of the light assemblies and so forth, found the ones saying a #2 Philips is all you need, sighed a huge sigh of relief, and went out and adjusted them in the parking lot of my old junior high school (tip: you don't need to concern yourself with whether you turn the screws clockwise or counter-clockwise if you can just watch the beams going up or down as you turn them). finished just before a school district security guy arrived to tell me i had to leave. i've never seen his truck before in my 20+ years living in this town; telling me i had to leave tonight was probably the achievement he will be remembered for. :lol:

thanks again, guys. great info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This forum is fantastic! Thanks for the great write ups.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just another "thank you" to the great members of this forum. I got pulled over by an out of jurisdiction cop a few nights ago telling me I was intentionally brighting him. One grumpy cop and driver later (with no ticket mind you) I left with the intention of re aiming my headlights. A quick search on the forum and I have my answer. 5 mins later with the help of a screw driver and hopefully my problems are solved.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just another "thank you" to the great members of this forum. I got pulled over by an out of jurisdiction cop a few nights ago telling me I was intentionally brighting him. One grumpy cop and driver later (with no ticket mind you) I left with the intention of re aiming my headlights. A quick search on the forum and I have my answer. 5 mins later with the help of a screw driver and hopefully my problems are solved.

Thanks again everyone!

Wow, sounds like CA to me to be pulled over for that particular reason. Or anything for that matter! :flame:
I thank the forum aswell for so many helpful tips.

161 - 180 of 209 Posts