Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I want to thank Dave for organizing this trip. It was sorely needed especially after last week's Winter storms. Thanks goes out to all those that came as well. The trail was more difficult then anticipated, but everyone was in good spirits and well prepared. Couple of spots and it was all good.

Meeting in the morning.

Airing down at Powerline road.

There were quite a few bikes out there and we saw a lot of new tracks :(. I think a gazebo with info on staying on trails on the west end of Powerline road might be helpful.

First challenge at Celica Hill. Dave on 3 wheels.

Just before Deep Creek staging area.

Trail work consists of mostly picking up trash, fixing some fences, and noted areas of new tracks.

And of course some wheeling :). Expatoz provided an interesting sequence. The road was very rutted.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Aat 3n59a 12/26/2010

Fence cut-again!

Repairing the fence.

The trail was quite muddy and this is one of the "puddles"

Sparky being stealthy.

The sign flew off last time we were up here. It was only tacked on. This time, Dave brought washers and screws. Mark working Dave to put the sign back on.

Nice backdrop? :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Aat 3n59a 12/26/2010

Earlier this year (January), with the assistance of Psycho Hummers group, we put up a significant barrier to a section of Luna Mountain that was suffering from illegal hill climbs. It took quite a bit of coordination and planning to make sure we have something that would sustain the elements and the casual vandal. The fence consists of 8 feet rail road ties sunken 3 ft into the ground for support. The cross beams were drilled and tied with 8" bolts and reinforced with steel "T" plates. We were fortunate to have backhoes and a large auger to expedite the work. A large crew also was very helpful.

When we arrived at Luna Mountain, we were shocked to find this:

Apparently someone has taken it upon themselves to destroy this barrier. It's cut in 3 spots and the lower support beam was cut close to the ground. I can't tell if it's from a chain saw or Sawzall. It was planned and deliberate. What low life would do this? There are signs close to the road that warns of sensitive area. You could not miss the sign. This is the 2nd time our barrier has been vandalized. We'll make sure the next one is even better. There was nothing we could do this time, so we just pushed the broken section back to where it should be, but laid it on the ground. That really put a damper on my Christmas spirits. :(

We moved on to explore 3N59 (no longer on 3N59A). We found 2 boulders blocking the road. One was small enough to roll over the side, but the other was way too big.

We tried using snatch blocks and anchoring straps to rocks to the side of the hill.

It moved a little then it was apparent that the anchor point wasn't strong enough. It was moving up the hill! We tried another approach. Drag the rock to a lower spot on the road and roll it over from there. It worked.

Job well done!

It's now getting late and it was decided to NOT run toward snow (3N16) as we weren't sure how much snow there was.

Airing back up.

Thanks to all that have came. If you haven't already, please send the following info to me or CADavebert so I can register you with San Bernardino National Forest that way you can be covered in the general insurance for trail work.

• Name
  • Phone number
  • Emergency contact
  • City of residence
  • Email

If you're interested in being part of Adopt-A-Trail please let me or CADavebert know. We can also answer your questions.

·
Registered
493 Posts
We need to go up there and plant some big trees and move some big rocks!!!! THIS IS TOTAL BS!!!:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I've looked at the picture more, I think we need to do some work at the top of the hill. The middle section appear to have became a water drainage and it's cutting into the ground and marking it to look like a trail. If we can divert the water up top, it may be easier to reclaim the area naturally.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey lets go up there right after new year sometime and hike that trail to see where it starts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
Good work guys! I'm so mad that some people have no respect for the mountains.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Props to y'all for puttin in work!
I'd like to make it up there with you guys and lend a hand as well. Would be nice to give back to the lands I love to wheel on.
With enough time notification, maybe I could get a group of the SoCal TTORA members to lend a hand as well. We don't have an adopt a trail and our only means of giving back is by participating in the ForestAid reforestation efforts.

FJamming. Could you send me an email next time you have a date set for another run up there? The email is Stephenfrisbie14 at gmail dot com.

Also, where the heck is this trail?
I only see 3N55 "powerline road" that starts on the north of 138 to the west of 15.
Is this road a newer offshoot or something?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hiya Scuba!

I'll add your email and also send you some info I need to get you included in the general insurance. I've put in a Dirtopia entry and it should give you some idea. I need to update it with more info. It would be great to coordinate more people in this involvement. Some of the work is quite strenuous extra hands are always good!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
count me in on the next adopt-a-trail!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts