Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting vibrations???

I recently installed my toytec ultimate lift, wheelers steelies, and a set of mickey thompson baja claws. Everything was fine, even drove 800 miles to St. Louis for Christmas, but in the past few days I've started noticing some vibrations. I am not 100% sure on this at all but, to me, it feels like it's coming from center/rear (transmission/driveshaft/rearend). I cannot tell if it does it anytime while "accelerating" but when I get to the mid 40's (most speed limits around here are 45) roughly 43~44 the FJ will start to shake. It's not violent, it's rather dull feeling, but it's enough that I can feel it, and see the steering wheel shake. It's rhythmic, almost like when you drive over the reflectors on the road in the spots where the reflectors are all right next to each other in a line (if that makes sense).

Here is the interesting thing to me, if I let off the gas and slow down below the 43~44 area it stops, same goes if I accelerate through it. I find it will sometimes happen in other areas in the 40's, 45~47 but primarily in the previously stated area.

I have tried putting the FJ in neutral and slowly revving the RPM's. I took it all the way to 4k doing this, and it was very smooth no problems. I am at a loss. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
OMG :lol::lol: *mind back out of the gutter*...

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
:D :zlurking: :worried::shrug03::shock::smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Athena I dont think Your Mind ever leaves the gutter to be Honest!:cheers:

TO the OP, Possible threw a weight off on af the wheels? I had a Vibration not to long ago and the Local 4x4 shop fuond part, not all, of the Sticky Weights on one wheel had flown off.. Rebalanced and good to go since.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
TO the OP, Possible threw a weight off on af the wheels? I had a Vibration not to long ago and the Local 4x4 shop fuond part, not all, of the Sticky Weights on one wheel had flown off.. Rebalanced and good to go since.
Same thing happened to me.. 3 wheels lost weights :boohoo:

Athena.... :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Athena I dont think Your Mind ever leaves the gutter to be Honest!:cheers:

Same thing happened to me.. 3 wheels lost weights :boohoo:

Athena.... :rofl:

Sheesh... look at the people I hang out with most of my day :bigthumb: :lol:

/hijack

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
its amazining what .50 oz will cause in vibration at 70mph thats all i was missing
I almost had a heart attack with those weights... I just left the tire shop and got on the freeway, picked up speed to 65 or so... and then...loud banging into the body of the truck and then whole thing started to shake... :flame: Got off the next exit, turned around and back to the shop :ninja:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Had the same thing here.....I had mine rotated and balanced and then driving home....rodeo time.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured if I gave the title of this thread something sexually implicative, people would click and read. Hurray for advertising schemes.

Yes I had the tires, balanced, and aligned. I believe there are pros and cons to each type, but I have the "retro" style weights that mount to the outside edge of the wheel. I did a walk around and all the wheels still have their weights on them. I can take it back to the shop, but it was like a month ago that they did the work, so I'm sure there will be a "well we'll have to charge you to check them, then again I might have lifteime balancing, don't remember.

I'm just hoping/worrying it's drive train related. But since nobody said that, then I'm feeling a little better.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
The "you can see the Steering wheel SHake" Tends to lead me to a tire wheel Issue... Typical Driveline vibrations is more of a "in the seat vibration" and not the steering wheel.
One way to see if it is vibration in the drive shaft or drive line is to Get it to the speed where is clearly doing it... Pop it in nutral, take foot off the Skinny, and see if it continues.
If it does let the vehicle slow and see at what point you no longer notice it.. That will give you a reference to Say "it does it at"
if it doesnt and stops the second your in "N" and off the throttle then you could have a "Dry" u joint or something else going on.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
"Ribbed for her pleasure."
ahahahahahahaha .... Lee I didn't think they had those back then :jester::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts