Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopefully about to purchase a used Horizon trailer by Adventure Trailers. I plan to give it it's maiden voyage in Death Valley, then a trip to Yellowstone later in the year.

I would love to see any pics of this trailer (or the Chaser version) hooked up to an FJ and tackling some off road terrain. Also would love to see and hear of any cool mods or additions (particularly home made). I have heard so many good things about these trailers but would love to see and hear first hand from FJ owners how it behaves with this truck any problems etc.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I don't have any offroad pics yet. The only journey so far was to San Clemente State Beach to get a test run. It towed nice , no problems so far:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I don't have a lot of pics while actually off-roading w/my Horizon trailer -- too busy driving -- but here are a couple that I took during a 5000 mile tour of the Southwest in June of this year:

Approaching Saline Valley Hot Springs in Death Valley:

This is the Hot Springs in the oasis at Saline Valley:

Camped at the primitive campground (4x4 access only) on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon at Toroweep Overlook:

This is the view to the west from Toroweep Overlook:

If you want to see more pics of my FJ during the trip, go here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-runs-get-togethers/108223-southwest-tour.html. Not many pics of my trailer in it, but lots of pics of my FJ and gorgeous scenery en route.

If you want to read some of impressions using and pulling my Horizon trailer, go here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-horizon-adventure-trailer-3.html#post1675195.

:wave:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pics. What sort of electrical set up do you have for the fridge batteries etc?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a lot of pics while actually off-roading w/my Horizon trailer -- too busy driving -- but here are a couple that I took during a 5000 mile tour of the Southwest in June of this year:

Approaching Saline Valley Hot Springs in Death Valley:

This is the Hot Springs in the oasis at Saline Valley:

Camped at the primitive campground (4x4 access only) on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon at Toroweep Overlook:

This is the view to the west from Toroweep Overlook:

If you want to see more pics of my FJ during the trip, go here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-runs-get-togethers/108223-southwest-tour.html. Not many pics of my trailer in it, but lots of pics of my FJ and gorgeous scenery en route.

If you want to read some of impressions using and pulling my Horizon trailer, go here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-horizon-adventure-trailer-3.html#post1675195.

:wave:
Looks like an awesome trip, was the hot springs in Saline Valley worth a visit?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip, was the hot springs in Saline Valley worth a visit?
Saline Valley Hot Springs is one of my favorite places to go and, if you've never been there, it's certainly worth a visit.

You take 168 East out of Big Pine to the cut off for Death Valley Road up to the top of the road in the Inyo Mountains where you'll see a faded sign at Saline Valley Road heading south.

You drive through some hills and gullies until you hit the top of the rise above the valley floor some 5000 feet below and it's basically a straight shot down hill all the way from there. When you hit the valley floor, look for the hot springs in the distance to the east (the only green spot in the distance) and after driving the sandy wash about 10 miles you'll see an unmarked turn off to the left. Drive due east to the hot springs from there and you're just about there when you see the "bat" sign.

Total distance is about 60 miles from Big Pine -- paved to the Saline Valley Road sign and dirt/gravel/sand from there on but nothing a passenger can can't do as long as it's not wet.

The springs are clothing optional -- bring lots of sunscreen for running around naked when it's 110 degrees out :lol: -- and it's seldom full, but it's always best to go during the week (as opposed to the weekend). The "wild" burros are a little annoying but not a problem except for the flies they attract with their droppings. There is an upper and lower springs. I prefer the lower springs in the picture because they are more developed and have shade cover, but the upper springs are fine too. There's only one hot tub at the lower springs and 2 at the upper.

If you want to do a loop you can drive to Eureka Dunes via Steele Pass and Dedeckera Canyon and the back to Death Valley Road which you can either take west back to Big Pine or east down to Crankshaft Junction where you can loop south to Ubehebe Crater, Teakettle Junction, the Racetrack and Lippincott Road back Saline Valley Road which you can then take north back towards Saline Valley Hot Springs or south to South Pass where you can choose to exit by heading further south to Hwy 190 or north & west to Hwy 136 to Lone Pine via Lee Flat and Cerro Gordo.

If you choose these alternative loops, just make sure you carry A LOT of gas, food, water, shelter and recovery gear!!! No fuel or water and often no other people anywhere along these very long and remote routes, which vary from paved to gravel to 4x4 only.

Have fun!!! :wave:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great pics, and the route you describe sounds like a good plan, we have a week with our new Horizion trailer in April, can't wait.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Chaser I bought in 2007 and I probably have 40K miles on it behind my FJ. It's a great setup. Before that I had a Bushwakka Fargo that I bought from AT and pulled behind my D90 until I got run off the road by Kanab and rolled/totalled them. They are fine folks to deal with.

I've had mine in Death Valley and all over southern Utah, Yellowstone and Grand Teton, etc. The trailer follows the FJ nicely and I can turn as tightly when pulling it as without it. The short wheelbase makes it kind of tricky to back up until you get used to it.

Don't have many pictures of it being pulled, but here is one of it set up:

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts

This is my trailer... You can't ask for a more bad ass off road camper than the Fleetwood Evolution Series (Now Coleman). They have off road suspension, 2 inch thick steel frame, and off road tires. Everything on them is heavy duty for rough use.

They are a little heavy, but the FJ has the power to pull them. I used to pull it with a Durango that had a 5.9L V8 and I didn't even know it was back there, so it will be a little bit of an adjustment for me this summer to kind of take it easy with the FJ!

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am hopefully about to purchase a used Horizon trailer by Adventure Trailers. I plan to give it it's maiden voyage in Death Valley, then a trip to Yellowstone later in the year.

I would love to see any pics of this trailer (or the Chaser version) hooked up to an FJ and tackling some off road terrain. Also would love to see and hear of any cool mods or additions (particularly home made). I have heard so many good things about these trailers but would love to see and hear first hand from FJ owners how it behaves with this truck any problems etc.
are you on expo yet ?
ExPo: Adventure and Overland Travel Enthusiasts
great forum for off road expedition trailers and such

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

This is my trailer... You can't ask for a more bad ass off road camper than the Fleetwood Evolution Series (Now Coleman). They have off road suspension, 2 inch thick steel frame, and off road tires. Everything on them is heavy duty for rough use.

They are a little heavy, but the FJ has the power to pull them. I used to pull it with a Durango that had a 5.9L V8 and I didn't even know it was back there, so it will be a little bit of an adjustment for me this summer to kind of take it easy with the FJ!

- Hakrjak
Man, I had one of these until about a year ago (2009 version). It was great but I didn't use it enough to justify paying for it. It did pretty well off road.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Man, I had one of these until about a year ago (2009 version). It was great but I didn't use it enough to justify paying for it. It did pretty well off road.
Ah yeh, I know what you mean. It's almost too much trailer for me at this point. haha I bought mine used for $8k from a cop who was getting laid off, so I got a ice deal on it (All cash)... But sometimes I wish I would have just got a little $3k cheapo that is light as hell, so my MPG will be great towing it all over this summer!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ah yeh, I know what you mean. It's almost too much trailer for me at this point. haha I bought mine used for $8k from a cop who was getting laid off, so I got a ice deal on it (All cash)... But sometimes I wish I would have just got a little $3k cheapo that is light as hell, so my MPG will be great towing it all over this summer!
I never towed mine with an FJ. I had an avalanche at that time. It towed well, but that little trailer is heavier than one would think. I'd hate to see what the fuel range is on a FJ!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I never towed mine with an FJ. I had an avalanche at that time. It towed well, but that little trailer is heavier than one would think. I'd hate to see what the fuel range is on a FJ!
Interesting.... I know a few guys who do tow them with the FJ's, but I know they recommend using a WDH and obviously making sure you put the elelectric trailer brakes in to be legal and not die (haha) :)

I've got a seperate thread where I'm trying to get in touch with other FJ owners who tow evolution series campers, so maybe I'll get some more tips over there -- or at least be able to update others with what I learn as I go through the process of getting my FJ ready to tow this summer!

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
No no. The only reason I didn't tow it with the FJ was because I didn't have it then. I traded the Av in for the FJ and had already sold the trailer.

I also think the trailer brakes were a must.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts