Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just picked up a stock 2012 4x4 FJC and looking for a little advice and help getting pointed in the right direction.

The truck currently has 84k miles on it and is very clean and doesn't appear to have previously been used off-road. As for my goals, I'm not wanting to make this into a trail rig or anything - it will be my daily-ish driver that I use often on forest service roads and easier trails on the weekends. I don't want to sacrifice handling as I think it's probably pretty capable out of the box for those tasks. Given that...

1. What are the best upgrades over stock suspension without getting a lift? Any that help with leveling?
2. What are the best lift options (thinking 1-3") without sacrificing the ride/handling quality?

I'm also in the market for tires, looking at BF Goodrich KO2s as I can get a good price on them from a friend. My inclination is to keep it stock with 265/70/17, but I'm considering the 275/70/17 option. The only difference I see is that the 275s have a load range E rating. I will be towing a small trailer and dirt bike(s) from time to time but that's it.

I was also considering that, if I wanted to run 285/70 - nows the time to consider a lift. Would rather not get into any BMC or other mods past a small lift.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning more from the forums!

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
my advice is to modify nothing at first, drive it like it is, its an amazingly capable truck (the original show car was taken on the Rubicon trail for photos and the expert driver commented how he didn't need to change a thing other than tires)

The first thing to consider changing is tires. Note that upsizing them will lead to a downhill slope of suspension modifications, and increasing tire size reduces power at the rear wheels, leading also to a re-gear, and so on.

If your heart is set on bigger tires, just "because", then the next question will be how much money to spend, and how often will you redo it because it isn't quite right, or because the more heavily loaded aftermarket parts don't last as long as the OEM stuff did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Appreciate that input. That was the direction I was leaning in but wanted to get some feedback as well. I'll probably go ahead with the 265/70/17 KO2s then and leave the rest of it alone. Regarding the stock suspension - how many miles can you expect to get out of it before it needs replacing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Appreciate that input. That was the direction I was leaning in but wanted to get some feedback as well. I'll probably go ahead with the 265/70/17 KO2s then and leave the rest of it alone. Regarding the stock suspension - how many miles can you expect to get out of it before it needs replacing?
If you can locate Front takeoff/used coil/shock/top hat front assembly from a newer trd Tacoma
You will most likely get close to a 3/4 of a inch lift on the front not quite level but you should notice a difference.
The rear height is pretty good stock imo, and you can easily upgrade the shocks when you need to with out touching the springs ..
the trd Tacoma front spring/shock assembly I believe are stiffer springs as well which yields in less droop in the front over stock fj coils

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @07FJCND. I've read the same for the TRD Pro 4runner tool. I'd prefer the not quite level, don't wanna end up with my nose in the air! And I'm happy with the rear stock height for sure.
Think that the difference in ride/handling going to a TRD Pro/Fox setup would be noticeable compared to the base FJ setup?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks @07FJCND. I've read the same for the TRD Pro 4runner tool. I'd prefer the not quite level, don't wanna end up with my nose in the air! And I'm happy with the rear stock height for sure.
Think that the difference in ride/handling going to a TRD Pro/Fox setup would be noticeable compared to the base FJ setup?
yes you will still have more rake not level.
I believe the trd pro uses the billy 6112 ? For a shock ? With is a 2 3/4 inch diameter shock I think nice and beefy, hold much more fluid over stock..in your situation since you don’t wheel it hard and want to stay close to stock
A Bilstein Shock will be a excellent choice it’s sealed shock non rebuildable..
Fox icon King all the other racing shocks require rebuilding
I’m not sure about their 2.0 series tho

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
I'm with Norm on this - run what you brung. In stock trim the FJ abilities are greater than most drivers.....unless you bounce around in rock gardens but that's for another time.

Reactions: gmat
1 - 8 of 8 Posts