Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm test driving a used (2007) FJ tomorrow. It's got 31K miles, roof rack, tow hitch, park distance etc. Dealer is asking $19,995 - which is well under KBB but wanted your advice.

Next question- does the FJ really need servicing every 6 months/5000 miles? I saw this when I followed a link in one of the other forums to Toyota recommended service intervals.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Hi, I'm test driving a used (2007) FJ tomorrow. It's got 31K miles, roof rack, tow hitch, park distance etc. Dealer is asking $19,995 - which is well under KBB but wanted your advice.

Next question- does the FJ really need servicing every 6 months/5000 miles? I saw this when I followed a link in one of the other forums to Toyota recommended service intervals.
Always service it every 5000 or less, but the trick is, you can do it yourself and just save the reciepts. this will keep ypur waranty valid as well as keeping your blue book value up. if you ever searched KBB.com the excellent condition states ALL RECIEPTS of servicing.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Every vehicle out there should have some sort of service/check at 5000 miles. It is mainly rotating the tires and changing the oil. (with some other small things.) But all do able on your own.

·
Registered
947 Posts
negotiate the price as much as you can! Remember, the base model invoice is a hair above $20k NEW, and KBB, Edmunds, etc. really doesnt mean much when everyone is bailing on the SUVs.

Also consider that the previous owner tripled the average yearly mileage, and while I dont have any problems with used toyotas, I really think a year old car should have around 10K mi or less.

And yes, service the car every 5k mi, which is usually just an oil change and checking the belts/fluids.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Play your cards right when negotiating. Remember that car sales are down (Toyota down 21%). They can either sell to you for the price your asking (or close enough to it that both you and the dealership are happy) or you can walk and they are still stuck with an SUV without a market. Short of those of us that are passionate about the FJC there arent' a lot of people in today's economy that are going to buy an SUV no matter what they are selling it for...they still have to fill it up.

Keep up with your maintenance...it extends the life of the vehicle, adds value and just makes it a better ride for you.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i say low ball them, also see what options it has if its stripped give them less. Also i think that the miles are alittle high for 1 year would like to see 20-25k not 31k. Previous post who drives 10k a year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Before you buy pop the hood open and look for the bodt rips. Google Image "fj body rips" and look for it on the one you're gonna get. I looked at a used on near me and looked at the spot under the hood and behold were small tears on the body.

·
Registered
831 Posts
damn good idea never thought of that. That should make for some interesting negotioations.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I DO!!! 92 tercel with 70kmi (bought used in 2001 with 44kmi), 2000 tundra with 23kmi. I noticed that big cities also bring big mileage to cars... makes it hard for me to find a 1-2 year old car with a truly low mileage.

Good luck with the car and remember you can always walk away and just play the waiting game... SUVs are only going to get cheaper until at least winter time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the quick feedback. I decided to blow off the test drive and focus on selling my current car privately first. Then I'll go in hard either on a new model FJ or something with lower miles - like a few of you said, there aren't many folk lining up to buy these right now. Better to be patient and get the right deal!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks all for the quick feedback. I decided to blow off the test drive and focus on selling my current car privately first. Then I'll go in hard either on a new model FJ or something with lower miles - like a few of you said, there aren't many folk lining up to buy these right now. Better to be patient and get the right deal!
Patience equals $$$. I'm looking for a Sandstorm, new or used, but waiting as FJ's are not moving at the moment. Prices will continue to come down. As an example found a 2008 Brick, fully loaded, 4x4, auto, Convience pkg, Upgrade package 2 roof rack, hitch, wiring etc, tire cover....would be 31 plus or minus new....just turned 7k....on a lot asking price $24999....probably get it for less. If I didn't like Sandstorm so much, I might buy it (still might)...good price.....but more of them like this will show up in the next few months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts