Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I had purchased an FJ in September and completely admit to not quite knowing what I should be looking for especially concerning rust issues. That FJ got totaled in the hurricane so being a little wiser now with the help of the forum, I am looking for a replacement. I did read the Jimmy buffet post. I know a 2010 or newer would be preferable but I simply cannot afford that. I am thinking about test driving this FJ but wanted some feedback concerning rust underneath. Here is the link to the dealers page and pictures they sent me of the undercarriage. https://www.caspianautomotors.com/used/Toyota/2007-Toyota-FJ+Cruiser-9151be880a0e0ae93110b9ec88e78ada.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you only looking to purchase from a dealer? That one you posted is cleaner than mine underneath.
probably. I have a down payment, but I need to finance. My bank won't loan on a car of that age with that many miles. A dealership can finance. Plus I haven't seen a better deal anywhere near me. I will be negotiating because I know there are dealer fees to take into account.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That black one looked nice. Bad break there.

To me this rust doesn't look bad at all considering it's a 11-12 year old vehicle. Rust opinions are relative. AZ and CA will say that looks really bad while those in Northeast and Midwest will say it looks pretty good. I would say keep an eye on it be prepared to do some rust mitigation/prevention in the next year or so depending on where you live.

My Indiana/Ohio 2012 with 45K miles looks about the same or slightly worse. I had planned to work on the rust this fall but we literally went from highs in the 90's to the 50's in 36 hours.

This particular FJ looks like it has some sort of lift on it. The wheels are not the original wheels. Not sure which years had those wheels but my 2012 has the same wheels. Personally, I love the style. The spare needs a cover it so bad. I don't like the brush guard. It is probably easily removed but to each his own.

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend thought it looked lifted too. I actually kept the wheels and bumper from my old FJ although I have the bumper listed for sale. I may end up reinstalling on any new one I get. Thanks for the response.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,493 Posts
Actually a nice looking ride and if that’s the only hint of rust underneath it you have nothing to worry about. I would ask if it has inner front fender cracks but if it hasn’t been wheeled much it probably won’t have any cracks. Those wheels came stock on later model FJ’s but that spare looks like it came off a RAV 4, yep it’s hideous.

Overall it looks to be a pretty decent deal and you could resale those wheels if you wanted after you install yours.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,755 Posts
My friend thought it looked lifted too. I actually kept the wheels and bumper from my old FJ although I have the bumper listed for sale. I may end up reinstalling on any new one I get. Thanks for the response.
With your bumper and wheels that FJ would look awesome :rocker: One more comment on the rust - looks like the driveshaft may never have been greased (very common oversight) so if you buy the purple, just make sure you have them pump grease into all 6 zerks :smile

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you looked into a credit union. Thats how i buy my cars.
Do they have different rules than banks? I have good credit but Wells Fargo would not loan for a 11 year old car with 128000 miles on it. They would only loan if miles were under 100000.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,170 Posts
For your own safety, please have those wheels inspected before installing/using them again. There was a lot of weight on them. Spokes crack, welds can break, rim can separate from the hub.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For your own safety, please have those wheels inspected before installing/using them again. There was a lot of weight on them. Spokes crack, welds can break, rim can separate from the hub.
thanks for the advice. I definitely plan on having them inspected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2010 TT FJ a few months ago. In the midwest, that amount of rust is nothing to worry about. Try to avoid 2007-2008 models because of issues with engine bulging.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Umm...what's "engine bulging?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts