Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a nasty motorcycle accident (truck pulled across highway in front of me... couldn't stop and t-boned him at 60) a few years ago, that convinced me for the need for a dashcam.
I am a first time FJ owner (2009) and lovin' it. I mounted a Garmin dashcam high up on the windshield just to the right of center, and threading the power cord up around the headliner and down the windshield pillar cover on the right side, but can't quite figure out how to get it down into the dash at that point.

There is a space in between the upper dashboard and the windshield right in the very corner, but taking out the glove box and looking up in there with a flashlight I can't really see where it is. I can see the big, felt covered box that delivers air to the main defrost vents, and reaching up there I can feel the roundish bottom to the vent or fan that sits right below the round corner defrost vent. But pushed a wire down in the corner, and while there seems to be plenty of room in there, I could not spot it from the bottom.

I'm trying to thread the USB power cord down inside the dash and out so I can plug it into cigarette lighter.

Any advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would probably wire it the other way towards the driver side as there is better access to the fuse box and easier wiring under the steering column...also if you are going to the battery itself the pass through the firewall is easy on the driver side. my 2 cents.

Reactions: smoking_rubber

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Mine under the plastic mount for the rear view mirror, then up through the hole in the headliner by the rear view mirror mount. From there it goes over to the passenger side and down behind the plastic part with the handle. Under the dash and connects to power under the console.

It was not fun, but not hard either.

·
Premium Member
11,064 Posts
G'Day,
You can run the cable up behind the headliner from the windshield mounting point to the A pillar.
Remove the A pillar cover then it will easily drop down into the lower dash area. If necessary use a snake to thread the cable between the A pillar and down under the dash.

To access the headliner, remove the sun visor and sun visor clip, there is enough room to then poke the cable up inside the headliner and across the to the A pillar.
to remove the A pillar, open the SRS airbag disc in the middle of the A pillar, behind it is a single bolt. remove the bolt ( M10 I think from memory ) and then pull the A Pillar cover backwards towards you ..it will pop out. Run the cable down, and replace the cover and refit the bolt...

This thread with pictures will show you how.....

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-console-door-panels-removal-inst-w-pics.html

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
You can also remove the air vent on the side of the dash to help you fish wires. It should just pull off by pulling back and up toward you. The A-pillar comes off by unscrewing the grab handle, and THEN you can simply pull it off. I dont think the SRS logo is anything at all.

I did that for a dash cam / iphone. Did an add-a-fuse to a switched open fuse, and installed a cig lighter aux plug inside my A-pillar. I just plug my power cord into that. Ran the camera wire/plug up above the headliner then down in the center of the windshield where I needed it.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I ran mine behind the drivers side a pillar. Not overly difficult.

What kind of dashcam did you get? I have a Blackvue 600 mounted to the mirror (not stuck to the glass).

From sitting in either seat it's invisible. You can barely see it from this camera view, but I sit a little farther back than this shot shows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using a pretty standard Garmin dashcam, attached to the windshield. Base exposure is off by 2/3 stop, and the image has way, way too much JPEG sharpening, but once adjusted it does what it needs to do. If I want video for other purposes I have plenty of devices that are better for that.

The garmin prints GPS coords and speed info onto the frame, which is what I wanted.

Removing the passenger-side pillar cover was super easy and did the trick.... that's for the tip:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-console-door-panels-removal-inst-w-pics.html

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Mine is tucked behind the A pillar on the passengers side, down to the glove box (temporary removal of the vent panel made this easier), then tucked or zip-tied to whatever was down there to keep it out the way. I currently do not have mine hardwired so I brought it out to plug it in, but my plan is to hard wire it eventually... and by that I mean have someone with knowledge show me how to hard wire things.

I can take pictures if you'd like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts