Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
uploadfromtaptalk1303851965828.jpg

So that i never have this embarrassing moment again (Jeep pulling me out of mudhole), i need better tires.
I am completely stock 07 FJ at moment, and not too familiar with all the terms in tirespeak. I need good tires that will fit. It is my daily vehicle, but i go offroad quite a bit, at work and at play.
I also want them to look good.
Suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy S Android using Autoguide.

·
Registered
147 Posts
View attachment 42642

So that i never have this embarrassing moment again (Jeep pulling me out of mudhole), i need better tires.
I am completely stock 07 FJ at moment, and not too familiar with all the terms in tirespeak. I need good tires that will fit. It is my daily vehicle, but i go offroad quite a bit, at work and at play.
I also want them to look good.
Suggestions?

I'm happy withy my Goodyear Duratracs but only have 2500 miles on them so far. Heavier tires will hurt your mileage - most MT's. I was also happy with some Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's I had on a Tacoma. Less aggressive than the Duratracs and a bit quieter.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've had Firestone Destination MTs, Cooper Discoverer STTs, BFG AT KO, and a bunch of other not so great tires.

Those were all great tires. My favorites were the Firestones, but they are heavy.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Okay, your question grasshopper is an excellent one and one that is subject of much debate/personal preference. However there are some basic agreed upon principals. You must determine first what will be your main purpose for the vehicle. If your off road alot then M/T (mud tires) will be best to avoid those embarrassing moments you reference. M/T however are not very effective on the street for commuting due to their noise level and lack of adequate performance in the rain (less sipes, grooves cut into tires). Some are better than others but generally speaking for both types driving you may want an A/T (all terrain) tire that does a pretty good job at both. Everyone has their preference based upon cost, looks, tread pattern, size availability. You have some homework to do. IMHO you cant go wrong with Nitto Terra Grappler A/T, some folks like BFG T/A,. These are popular very well made tires and you just need to do your homework. Also if you dont mind a slightly harder/firmer ride check out the E load range Light Truck (LT) tires as they are almost indestructible,and last forever as the FJ is relatively light. I've run E load range tires on my FJ's and love them. Its all about preference. Most tire manufacturers carry E range tires for the FJ. Good Luck

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am amazed at the difference it made going from BFG ATs (which were average at best in mud) to the Mickey Thompson MTZs I have now, but it was a definite sacrifice in road noise, fuel mileage, & Im sure treadwear as well, only about 3k miles on them so far. Great in the mud though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I highly recommend Firestone Destination M/T's...highly

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
View attachment 42642

So that i never have this embarrassing moment again (Jeep pulling me out of mudhole), i need TO REMEMBER TO PUT IT IN 4-L.
:rofl:

Now that you need tires, what about a winch??? That way you wouldn't have to call a "peep" to pull you out!!!!:lol::mecry::lol::cheers:

just funnin' you...feels good to go muddin', don't it!!!!
Jax':wave:

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I keep my tires at 42psi all around I still pull down 20mpg highway and about 16mpg city...I only lost about 1mpg when I added the tires and full roof rack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats funny OD, is I went back to Alabama on vacation bragging about being a Jeep convert over to FJ and how awesome this thing is offroad, stock! And it js, here in northern California in the rock and hardpan mountains. Ive been away from the Deep South too long, where I grew up, and forgot how menacing an innocent little mudhole could be. To this day, I swear Hoffa is down in one of those, as well as Atlantis. But my Jeep friends back home were very fair and admitted it would have been nothing for my FJ to accomplish had it not been for the lovely SUV tires my local Toyota dealer put on em to sell to me. Ha.

Thanks for all the info peeps. Time to hit the books with said info and research

·
Registered
180 Posts
I gotta chime in again. Treadwright. I have a set on mine and just put a set on my friends liberty. Can't go wrong for the price (there's were 75/tire mine were just above 90/tire) I really like them on the street and snow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts