Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am totally ignorant about CB radios. I would like to have one for trail riding, but I don't want a big 'ol permanent setup. I have looked at this Midland 75-822, and it looks like a lot of people use it and like it.

Is there something better out there for easy temporary setup?

What all is involved in installation, etc? I found it here on Amazon Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio with Vehicle Adapter: Electronics with the Vehicle Adaptor, but I am reading all this stuff about it being useless without a Bandi Mount and Firestick and all this stuff. What do I really need??

Any help would be most greatly appreciated!:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the Cobra Roadtrip with the external magnetic mount antenna and it works fine. The only issue is keeping it from bouncing around when wheeling.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would do a search for Big bill combo. It has a cobra CB that is permenant but is only the cord and hand controled. That part is also removable so that all this is seen when not in use is a small connector. With this set up you get the distance coverage of a full size antennea with the convienence of a portable.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I went with the Cobra 75 BigBill Combo. You get a good hard mount antenna and all you see on the interior is a plug smaller than the size of a 12V outlet. It is a hand held. Do a search on BigBill Combo you will find it.

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you're only using it for trail runs, then you don't need an external antennae. However, remember that you'll probably limit your range to line of sight(LOS).

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Using just a handheld AS a hand held radio is not going to give you ability to talk to the rig in front of you. You may be able to hear the rig directly in front of you, but you will not be able to talk to them.

I have that Midland radio (75-822). I have the Bandi Mount and 4' firestik antenna with quick release. The only permanently-mounted parts are the Bandi Mount and the 18' coax cable. However, since no drilling is required, it all comes out fast and seamlessly.

I chose my set up for several reasons - I can make it all go away as easily as I installed it. It broadcasts/receives as well as a permanently installed radio when used as one. I can also disconnect the external antenna and cig lighter power source, plug in the small antenna and battery pack, and I have a hand-held for trail spotting or campground communications (however local it may be).

It's a very versatile radio. If you still don't like the Bandi-Mount and firestik idea, you can purchase a magnetic mount antenna from Radio Shack. It's about 1/2 the cost of the Bandi option, and will give you decent broadcast/reception ability. I used the 75-822 Midland with the mag-mount radio shack antenna in the Mojave Trail. I was able to talk to other rigs almost a mile ahead of me. No problems, just a little smaller radius than the Bandi option.

Then I lost the mag-mountg antenna. I used the radio as a handheld, and it was just like not having a radio at all. So, I bought the Bandi option so it will stay on the truck and will not get lost again.

I hope this helps make your decision a little easier.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice. looks like i can buy the bigbill setup & choose between the cobra & the midland. i don't mind the permanent attenna, i just wanna save space on the inside.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have that Midland radio (75-822). I have the Bandi Mount and 4' firestik antenna with quick release.
How much money are you talking for all that? $200? I too would like to get set up w/ a functional, but not permanent CB for the Summit and other trail runs I'm sure I'll be doing in the future.

Thanks!

EDIT: Yep, I see now (after following links) aprox $200 will get it done. Hmm....

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I run the Midland. I keep it in a toolbag. ON a run i plug it in and hook my antenna cable that is under the seat that runs back to the Bandi mount. Drop the CB in the cupholder and good to go. After the ride, unplug stick it back in the bag and all is back to normal. I liked the idea of not having to mount. Plus it has weather channels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry gang i'm new to the CB thing. How big of antenna do i need and do they make antennas that are flexible? I park my FJ in the garage.

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
You can go with a 3' firestick antenna. I have the 4' and it howls at any speed over 30 mph.

The firestick antennas are flexible to a point. But if you get the quick disconnect you can take it off in 2 seconds flat and put it in the back of the FJ for those garage stays. I have mine mounted to the Bandi Mount as follows: Bandi Mount; spring base (for added flex capability); quick disconnect; antenna.

The spring and quick disconnect add a little over 6" to the overall height of the antenna. With a CB (that operates on the same principle as an AM radio), the taller the antenna, the better the radio will work with what power it has. The 3 foot tall antenna works well for trails. I wanted the 4' for an extended range. Although the range will not be a noticeable increase, it's kinda like putting locktite on a bolt along with a lock washer. Personal preference, I guess.

I hope this helps you!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The Bandi mount is a key part of the CB setup for FJ. I have monkeyed around with other mounts on other trucks and never had a solution as good as that mount. Use a quick release or carry a wrench and you can easily remove the antenna. The mount is not intrusive. I have a 2 foot antenna without quick release and it works good. I also have a 3 foot with QR but it is too tall, visible, and noisy for around town speeds. And doesn't fit under my garage door and gets whacked by branches! Be sure to adjust the SWR.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the feedback FJDAVE and DMAND.

So there's nothing flexible enough to mount up and bend over and attach to the front of the roof rack?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i use a uniden cb with a liitle will antenna and i got a adapter for aux plug, when i wheel in a group i just use the pass seatbelt bucked to hold cb on r/f seat, works for me, with kids in fj i didnt want to mount to back of consiole, they would just hit it with there feet climbing in and out, when done wheeling i take cb and antenna off till next time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts