Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are expecting our first child this June, and I was wondering if there was any advise or modifications to make a FJ some what baby/kid friendly.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Just install your car seat correctly and your good to go.......I pretty sure your new baby will want a 3 inch lift, bigger tires, coilovers and easy access to its bottle while offroading. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have two kids 1 and 6 yrs old, though most of the time I keep the child seat for the elder only, my wife has two child seats in her car.

For a newborn you'll have to have your child seat rear-facing and that's when those suicide doors become a real PITA. We found that it's somewhat easier if the rear-facing seat is behind the driver and one of us gets into the back seat first, then the other would pass the child through the passenger side, so the one inside could seat and buckle up the child. Other than this - not much you can do at this stage, except maybe hang some toys around. :)

Later, when it's time to turn the child seat so it's facing forward, everything becomes easier. Oh, and those pockets in your rear doors are great for stashing bottles!

And yeah, lift your FJ and get some nice big wheels, so feeding the baby on the go will be of no concern, other drivers wouldn't be able to peek inside. :grin

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
As others have said......Strap the kid in and go!

Reactions: strikerca

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've got a 6wk old and we've got a Maxi Cosi modular system.
You just strap the base in the middle seat (it won't fit behind my seat, I'm 6'4") and the carrier snaps in and out so you're not wrestling a kid into a car seat in the back of an FJ.

Wife and in-laws each have a base, so you just hand her over in her carrier, snap her in and away they go.

You do have to lean the seat forwards to squeeze the carrier into the back, but it's not a big deal.

In emergencies, you can strap the car seat in without the base, but it can leave divots in your seat. If you make a habit of it i'd look at a seat protector.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've had an FJC since '08 and I've raised two kids (now 14 and 10 & on my 2nd FJ), and the back seat gets tight w/ that baby seat in the middle (wouldn't fit behind the seats IIRC), but you make it work. They way I looked at it was this: I wanted the FJ, and we're going to make this work for the kids.

GL! Your kid(s) will love off-roading.

Reactions: James Gaeta

·
Registered
207 Posts
Post baby: I use Diono Radian RXT seat for my daughter and it’s installed in middle. I ended up with Diono because of the smallest footprint and it gives enough shoulder room to other passengers.

Pre Baby: ether get a roof tent or take out the rear seats (or be super flexible).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
As others mentioned, I found success with placing the rear facing Britax infant carrier in the middle which allowed both driver and passenger to sit relatively unencumbred. Once front facing, I sit the boy behind the passenger seat and slide that forward when I’m riding solo upfront to give him a little more room/minimize kick scuffs. The washable upholstery and plastic interior is childproof. And a headrest mounted iPad holder to play vids during road trips!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's amazing how much extra stuff you pack when taking a baby or toddler on a trip. You'll probably need to invest in a Baja Rack to have room for the excess cargo. Congrats on your first child.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally I hate baby buckets. Everyone should spend more time holding and snuggling their baby... but with the FJC you want to start off using the detachable base and the baby carrier. It is MUCH easier to strap them into the carrier outside the vehicle and then snap the carrier in. Even if you don't plan to walk around with the carrier you can unsnap it, pull it out, unbuckle the baby, and then toss the carrier back in the FJ.
This works very well. for the first 10 month or so until they out grow the carrier. After that someone suggested getting in to strap them in. Good plan. You might want steps if you have a lift. We have OEM slides and Nfab steps and they really help for my wife getting in and out.

Otherwise? yeah babies love FJs. We had her offroad at two months old and now she hates pavement. She sleeps like a baby on dirt.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Rhino line the outside and use seat covers. pretty much invincible.

Honestly I use a rear facing baby seat that goes in the middle. I used the click based version until he was old enough to climb in on his own, so about 2. it's annoying, but if I kept the passenger seat forward and went in from that side it was the easiest.

What else I found helped was getting over it and just taking him, and a change of diaper and wipes. that fits in a Ziploc in your glove box. unless you plan to be out a while you end up just walking around with a bunch of stuff you won't ever need.

I have a rear drawer set up which is good for keeping all the random stuff in there. his jogging strolled takes up a TON of room, even folded, unless I pop the wheels off. otherwise you can keep your bags and stuff on the floor in the rear area. Anything on the seats proper back there is splash zone. again, seat covers. If I was going to go on vacation I would need to use my trailer hitch rack or the cargo carrier on the roof. Our dog liked to ride on the seats, so if we were taking her my wife had to sit in the back with the baby.

I am getting tired of the suicide doors and we're starting to do longer adventures, so I'm leaning towards something more suited to a family. looking at 4runners and 460s, but it's hard to justify the cost when the FJ is paid for and runs like a top.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts