Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
edit: Ok so Im willing to help you guys get the AFE exhaust for $300 cause thats how much I paid. I just need to know who wants one. But this offer is only for my forum peeps who are in socal sorry.

OK guys just did the install of my new AFE exhaust and man does it sound good I dont know how to put a sound clip online so dont ask for one unless you can tell me how to do it but I do have pics!!!

From Behind

Down Under

This is the only place I had a problem the two pipes dont sit exactly level so the top has a slight gap not big enough to cause problems but still not perfect!!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You could record it with and put it up on youtube. It's the next best thing to a sound clip. For better quality, try Vimeo.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet thanks ill try to have it up by tomorrow

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks sweet! Got mine put on today as well after changing out my hitch to accomodate. Man, it does have a great sound...lets just hope performance to match! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks great!!!:rocker: Nice install!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Can't wait to hear the sound clip.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
135 Posts
OK guys just did the install of my new AFE exhaust and man does it sound good I dont know how to put a sound clip online so dont ask for one unless you can tell me how to do it but I do have pics!!!

From Behind

Down Under

This is the only place I had a problem the two pipes dont sit exactly level so the top has a slight gap not big enough to cause problems but still not perfect!!!

did you install the gasket that goes in between the muffler and the cats? Its hard to tell but there is one on there from the factory.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I just installed mine today too! I didn't want to put anything back on after I took the old catback off and ran the engine w/o a muffler. Man it was a beautiful sound! People, the pictures do not do it justice, those pipes are HUGE! I did manage to drop the muffler on my head though, my bro just couldn't catch it in time, lol. It does sound great and I'm 400% happy with it. The install looks great Pinky!

Not sure if this is your problem, but I didn't crank down those collars enough the first time around and that made everything a bit sloppy and loose. Once I tightened those guys up it all sat a lot better. Only thing I'm worried about is how close it is to the plastic in the rear and the computer underneath the cargo area. I'm going to try to find some shielding material.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah it is a bit close to the comp inthe back but I think it will be fine and I did my install at my dads shop so i had an air gum for the collars after I used that they were real tight.

I just installed mine today too! I didn't want to put anything back on after I took the old catback off and ran the engine w/o a muffler. Man it was a beautiful sound! People, the pictures do not do it justice, those pipes are HUGE! I did manage to drop the muffler on my head though, my bro just couldn't catch it in time, lol. It does sound great and I'm 400% happy with it. The install looks great Pinky!

Not sure if this is your problem, but I didn't crank down those collars enough the first time around and that made everything a bit sloppy and loose. Once I tightened those guys up it all sat a lot better. Only thing I'm worried about is how close it is to the plastic in the rear and the computer underneath the cargo area. I'm going to try to find some shielding material.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hitch gets in the way?
I posted a thread earlier about the hitch issue. If you have a frame mounted hitch that some of the FJ's came with, it will be in the way and cannot install without modification. I removed mine and put in the factory hitch that mounts on the crossmember to fix the issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice install! Where did you guys order yours from? If you could give me a cost to, that would be great. Can the pipes be installed without a lift and on a garage floor? Thinking about an install in the near future. Thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Nice install! Where did you guys order yours from? If you could give me a cost to, that would be great. Can the pipes be installed without a lift and on a garage floor? Thinking about an install in the near future. Thanks
You can definitely do it w/o a lift and on a garage floor. I would recommend you have a friend to help but it isn't absolutely necessary. Definitely test fit all the sections of the aFe before you start putting it in. The tip to lock two wrenches together for more torque was the only thing that let me get the old system off.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I got my AFE exhaust for $300 and I installed it myself. You could do it on the ground but it wont be easy and just a heads up some of the bolts on the og exhaust are hard to undo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.