Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just installed my aFe exhaust for my FJ after pancaking my stock tip this past weekend. I bought and installed the Mach Force XP system which is a full 3" catback, it sounds pretty good and definitely upped the ponies, however, it rattles on the rear cross member.

Does anyone have any solution for this with aftermarket systems? Or is this something I will have to learn to deal with?

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
You can adjust a lot with a crowbar and stead pressure against the cross memeber. Many times its the heat shield found on the cats. Ive beaten mine a few times.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Mine did that too. Just unloosen it, and rotate it counter-clockwise slightly. Or, what I did was insert a large screwdriver at the tip, and muscle it counter-clockwise. All you need is a slight amount to get it to stop rattling.

Hope this makes sense.
Mike

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
NO NO No don`t beat on the system :lol:, there is nothing terribly wrong...

OP search my exhaust thread or Build thread and you`ll see pictures of what was necc to rid the rattle...

basically the exhaust is hanging a bit low, I`m pretty sure this is due to the tolerances of the OEM hangers from year to year. and the older FJ`s rubber parts could be stretched a bit.

the solution is to bend the arms/rods downward as this will lift the muffler/first tail piece off the cross member...

loosen the clamps and where the system attaches to the head pipe so you can safely adjust the hanger arms... it take a little bit of time... yes, that exhaust sure does sound saweeet!

good luck...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys rock. Thanks for the help all.

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
NO NO No don`t beat on the system :lol:, there is nothing terribly wrong...

OP search my exhaust thread or Build thread and you`ll see pictures of what was necc to rid the rattle...

basically the exhaust is hanging a bit low, I`m pretty sure this is due to the tolerances of the OEM hangers from year to year. and the older FJ`s rubber parts could be stretched a bit.

the solution is to bend the arms/rods downward as this will lift the muffler/first tail piece off the cross member...

loosen the clamps and where the system attaches to the head pipe so you can safely adjust the hanger arms... it take a little bit of time... yes, that exhaust sure does sound saweeet!

good luck...
Beating on a rig is so much more betterer

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Mine did that too. Just unloosen it, and rotate it counter-clockwise slightly. Or, what I did was insert a large screwdriver at the tip, and muscle it counter-clockwise. All you need is a slight amount to get it to stop rattling.

Hope this makes sense.
Mike
Agreed. In addition, what I found was that you can take the unused OEM rubber hangar and shove it between the cross member and the exhaust pipe to hold the gap while you retighten the clamp

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem. Instead of bending anything I hose clamped the exhaust slightly closer to the hangers on the last one before the exhaust tip. This actually pulled the exhaust away from the plastic filter box others have melted, and resulted in zero rattle. The only thing I worry about is the sharp side of the clamp slowly cutting away at the rubber hanger piece. But so far so good, and less permanent then hammering away at something.

I literally have NO repair experience so PLEASE correct me if this was a stupid idea

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I had the same problem. Instead of bending anything I hose clamped the exhaust slightly closer to the hangers on the last one before the exhaust tip. This actually pulled the exhaust away from the plastic filter box others have melted, and resulted in zero rattle. The only thing I worry about is the sharp side of the clamp slowly cutting away at the rubber hanger piece. But so far so good, and less permanent then hammering away at something.

I literally have NO repair experience so PLEASE correct me if this was a stupid idea
This may be a problem for you....First the Chrome tip gets "Very hot" you could melt your underside bumper plastic from being so close , you have also taken some of the ability for the muffler to move if anything should contact it. If you place a spacer between the pipe and cross member and slightly turn the tip downwards then tighten the clamps everything should clear.... No beating with a hammer.(remove spacer when all clamps are tight)
Some clamps do not tighten around the pipe before bottoming the threads, you can cut a strip of sheet metal or tin can and shim the inside of the clamp before tightening.
:cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
This may be a problem for you....First the Chrome tip gets "Very hot" you could melt your underside bumper plastic from being so close , you have also taken some of the ability for the muffler to move if anything should contact it. If you place a spacer between the pipe and cross member and slightly turn the tip downwards then tighten the clamps everything should clear.... No beating with a hammer.(remove spacer when all clamps are tight)
Some clamps do not tighten around the pipe before bottoming the threads, you can cut a strip of sheet metal or tin can and shim the inside of the clamp before tightening.
:cheers:
Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking at that in the morning (regarding the heating of the bumper plastic). I knew I was limiting the flexing and rebounding of the rear section of the unit, and will keep an eye on that as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts