Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the 6620, I just can't get over how crappy the dash fit kit looks. The cheap black plastic doesn't fit flush with the unit and the gaps just look sloppy. Are there any dash replacement kits that have a slightly smaller stereo hole to fit double-din sized stereos properly?

If not, perhaps I could figure out how to hand lay some fiberglass, or carbon fiber to make a custom one - but I'd much rather just buy something.

Also, it would be cool to figure out a new set of switches for the air controls and the airbag indicator. The contrast between the shiny dash and the large textured holes just looks a bit cheap and not well thought out. Any ideas to make this look better?

Am I the only one thinking this?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Re: Aftermarket double-din sized dash kit

After installing the 6620, I just can't get over how crappy the dash fit kit looks. The cheap black plastic doesn't fit flush with the unit and the gaps just look sloppy. Are there any dash replacement kits that have a slightly smaller stereo hole to fit double-din sized stereos properly?

If not, perhaps I could figure out how to hand lay some fiberglass, or carbon fiber to make a custom one - but I'd much rather just buy something.

Also, it would be cool to figure out a new set of switches for the air controls and the airbag indicator. The contrast between the shiny dash and the large textured holes just looks a bit cheap and not well thought out. Any ideas to make this look better?

Am I the only one thinking this?
show us some pics so we can see what you are talking about. you could lay some body filler in the gaps, but that is tricky and most likely it would all have to be painted over again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Good point - I'll take some photos and also Pshop what I have in mind.

Another idea that I think would work with the FJC theme is using the toggle switches in the Ford GT - instead of the black plastic push buttons. I'll Pshop some of these in as well.

I normally don't like to modify interiors but the dash of the FJC seems like a blank slate ready for something really fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You can see that the gaps on the sides of the nav are filled in with the white dash. Also, I hate the black plastic contrasting on the white so filling in the holes and just having the knobs coming through might look good.

Anyway, here is a crappy Photoshop of what I am thinking of.

Bad Photoshop but you get the idea:

Original:

·
Registered
365 Posts

you could go the other way and black out the white part...

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

you could go the other way and black out the white part...
Thats what I was thinking!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The things is the black shiny texture of the dash doesn't match the textured black surface of the dial controls - to me it still looks incomplete.

I have considered simply ripping out the controls and getting them painted white and then clear coated. I could even mask out the icons with max or something so they remain.

Anyway, just throwing idea around.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Don't they sell that diamond steel plate textured thing to cover up that part? Maybe give that a look. I really like the way my black diamond complements the interior. But I do think the white does not look good. I would think more of replacing the center console cover rather than fabbing a completely new part. Just my opinion. With a white exterior, just about any interior would look good with it.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Your thought on glassing it is probably a good one, the cost will be high, but you can have the original dash piece removed, a custom trim added/glassed, the whole thing bondo'ed smooth, and repainted.
Live with a $20 kit or spend $200+ and/or hours and hours customizing it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

For $200 it would totally be worth it. I bet it would cost way more though.
I'll keep you guys posted if I decided to do anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts