Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at front bumpers on fjs for more hours than I'm proud of I still dont feel satisfied. I've seen the recent bumper comparison and also every thread before it. Almost all of the bumpers to me personally don't fit the FJ or compliment it's lines like it should. I have always liked the pre runner bumpers, but I've yet to see one that looked good made by a manufacturer and not in a custom shop. Not trying to bash anyone this is just my picky taste. Currently living in pennsylvania I want to go with a shell bumper because of deer. Road armor has a front bumper that has the top tubes wrap around the front of the body protecting headlights and the turn signals its not perfect, but it looks good. Sadly this bumper rusts quickly and bad. I've also recently stumbled upon the LCNW front bumper which some of the guys on here love. Has anyone welded their own hoops to the bumper. The version that comes with a tripple hoop looks goofy with the sharp lines and how it curves around the headlights then opens around the grill. They made it look like a cartoon character. I'll add some pictures of the bumpers. Another issue I stumbled apon metal tech has this in the description of their tube bumper: "The winch mounting system mounts 100% independent of the bumper mounts, and mounts on the side of the frame behind the crumple zone. Metal Tech 4x4 is the ONLY manufacture doing this. Why? The factory front frame horn bumper mounts used by everyone else, for both the bumper and the winch mount, are only about 1/8” thick steel sheet. Directly behind the thin sheet metal is four dimples in the frame for crumple zones. Mounting a winch in front of the crumple zone and off thin sheet metal is not something Metal Tech will do". Is this true and something I should worry about? I would hate to use a winch doing something the FJ was made for and hurt her in the process. Wondering if anyone can find me a hidden gem. Thinking I've seen every bumper in the universe by now. Who knows maybe not.

Important they have a place for winch and fog lights (northeastern blizzards can be fun:grin)

Can't seem to attach pictures at the moment keeps redirecting me to another forum... wierd. Anyways you guys have seen them before. Also I have a 2011 cement grey FJ no lift, but I'll get adjustable coilovers when I find a bumper I love. Thanks for any help you offer

Caleb

·
Registered
890 Posts
After looking at front bumpers on fjs for more hours than I'm proud of I still dont feel satisfied. I've seen the recent bumper comparison and also every thread before it. Almost all of the bumpers to me personally don't fit the FJ or compliment it's lines like it should. I have always liked the pre runner bumpers, but I've yet to see one that looked good made by a manufacturer and not in a custom shop. Not trying to bash anyone this is just my picky taste. Currently living in pennsylvania I want to go with a shell bumper because of deer. Road armor has a front bumper that has the top tubes wrap around the front of the body protecting headlights and the turn signals its not perfect, but it looks good. Sadly this bumper rusts quickly and bad. I've also recently stumbled upon the LCNW front bumper which some of the guys on here love. Has anyone welded their own hoops to the bumper. The version that comes with a tripple hoop looks goofy with the sharp lines and how it curves around the headlights then opens around the grill. They made it look like a cartoon character. I'll add some pictures of the bumpers. Another issue I stumbled apon metal tech has this in the description of their tube bumper: "The winch mounting system mounts 100% independent of the bumper mounts, and mounts on the side of the frame behind the crumple zone. Metal Tech 4x4 is the ONLY manufacture doing this. Why? The factory front frame horn bumper mounts used by everyone else, for both the bumper and the winch mount, are only about 1/8” thick steel sheet. Directly behind the thin sheet metal is four dimples in the frame for crumple zones. Mounting a winch in front of the crumple zone and off thin sheet metal is not something Metal Tech will do". Is this true and something I should worry about? I would hate to use a winch doing something the FJ was made for and hurt her in the process. Wondering if anyone can find me a hidden gem. Thinking I've seen every bumper in the universe by now. Who knows maybe not.

Important they have a place for winch and fog lights (northeastern blizzards can be fun:grin)

Can't seem to attach pictures at the moment keeps redirecting me to another forum... wierd. Anyways you guys have seen them before. Also I have a 2011 cement grey FJ no lift, but I'll get adjustable coilovers when I find a bumper I love. Thanks for any help you offer

Caleb
I agree. I love the prerunner look. I think the FJNW would appeal to me a lot more if they just had the middle hoop, and not the bars out over the sides.

I just took the N-Fab prerunner light bar off my FJ last night. I always loved the look. But the inner brackets were not manufactured right and it was impossible to make it sturdy. At this point, I'm putting my lights on the stock bumper while I save for something else. My top contenders are Metal Tech tube bumper, the N-Fab Prerunner bumper, and the Rock Defense bumper.

Reactions: PatriotFJ

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hello from PA as well! I went through the same strenuous bumper research as you. I didn't find anything that has both sound structural design and the aesthetics i like at the same time. So I ended up making my own. Check out build thread and bump build threads:
Tinkerer's T1-Alpha Build
Tinkerer's Custom Front Bumper Design

I plan to make a few more for friends that have strong interests later this year. If you like the design, being local in PA makes it easy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. I love the prerunner look. I think the FJNW would appeal to me a lot more if they just had the middle hoop, and not the bars out over the sides.

I just took the N-Fab prerunner light bar off my FJ last night. I always loved the look. But the inner brackets were not manufactured right and it was impossible to make it sturdy. At this point, I'm putting my lights on the stock bumper while I save for something else. My top contenders are Metal Tech tube bumper, the N-Fab Prerunner bumper, and the Rock Defense bumper.
My only gripe about the Nfab is the bumper is flush with the upper grill. To me it just doesn't look right it almost makes the fj look like it has an underbite, but then again I'm picky.

Hello from PA as well! I went through the same strenuous bumper research as you. I didn't find anything that has both sound structural design and the aesthetics i like at the same time. So I ended up making my own. Check out build thread and bump build threads:
Tinkerer's T1-Alpha Build
Tinkerer's Custom Front Bumper Design

I plan to make a few more for friends that have strong interests later this year. If you like the design, being local in PA makes it easy.
I'm very interested I live outside of Pittsburgh. Do you have an estimate on how much it would cost? Wouldn't even bother shipping obviously. That's a great design I played around with bumper ideas for my Cummins on cadd and inventor, but never took it as far as you have. I'm really impressed with the final product especially if I can support someone local and save some freight costs. Let me know your plans!

Reactions: FatJohnson

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just joined here after being a member one time before. I live in Va. and I too am going through the deer problem. Now, I completely understand your issue. I have a 12 Tundra, I put a bumper from Trailready on it. Haven`t hit a deer yet, but I`m not really concerned about it anymore, yes, I have totaled 3 separate vehicles on deer. These bumpers are made for hitting things, the one on my Tundra weighed 220 lbs. it took a lift in the body shop to get it up to be installed. The one they make for the FJ, is around 120 lbs. These bumpers are not pretty, they are made to protect your investment and Trailready has been in business for 25 years, they know how to do this. The FJ one is not pretty but I have one on order. This may not be exactly what you are looking for but its another option, a damn good one too!
Hope this helps ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts