Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser - bought it about a year ago. Issue I'm having at the moment is with my aftermarket LED cluster tail lights - on the driver's side only about half of the LEDs in the brake light cluster are functioning. I believe the brand are Spyder - anyway, they look exactly like the ones in this picture:

I've tried the fuses and it's not those - I've unplugged and reconnected the lighting connections on the back of the bulbs, also to no avail. The turn signals and back-up lights function fine, only the left rear brake light has this issue. Truth be told, I'm not very familiar with these types of lights and and I'm wondering:

1) is there a single bulb that refracts into the various smaller LEDs, or is each smaller LED its own bulb, and 2) is there a way to replace the brake light bulb(s) or would I need to buy the entire tail light new?

I understand the issue could possibly lie with the wiring harness and worn or torn wiring. I've tried jiggling it around but haven't yet taken the lights out to look more closely. Any experience or help that can be offered is much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser - bought it about a year ago. Issue I'm having at the moment is with my aftermarket LED cluster tail lights - on the driver's side only about half of the LEDs in the brake light cluster are functioning. I believe the brand are Spyder - anyway, they look exactly like the ones in this picture:

I've tried the fuses and it's not those - I've unplugged and reconnected the lighting connections on the back of the bulbs, also to no avail. The turn signals and back-up lights function fine, only the left rear brake light has this issue. Truth be told, I'm not very familiar with these types of lights and and I'm wondering:

1) is there a single bulb that refracts into the various smaller LEDs, or is each smaller LED its own bulb, and 2) is there a way to replace the brake light bulb(s) or would I need to buy the entire tail light new?

I understand the issue could possibly lie with the wiring harness and worn or torn wiring. I've tried jiggling it around but haven't yet taken the lights out to look more closely. Any experience or help that can be offered is much appreciated!
The cheaper LED lighting assemblies will have multiple LEDs connected in series. If one LED fails "open", or a solder joint fails, none of the LEDs in that string will receive power. If ANY of the LEDs in the module illuminate, you DO NOT have a wiring harness or socket problem.

An "LED" is a light-emitting diode, a solid-state electronic device that directly converts electrical current into "light". Various kinds of LEDs will generate different wavelengths of light, seen as different colors (red, amber, green, blue, white, ultraviolet, etc.). By far the most common failure mode is for the LED to fail "open circuit", so in a string of series-connected LEDs, one failed LED will result in none of the other LEDs illuminating, just like the old series-connected Christmas tree lights.

It's likely that each of your taillights consists of two strings of series-connected LEDs, and one LED in one of the strings has failed. Current automotive bulb-replacement LEDs are typically surface-mount components, with no wire leads, and require special soldering skills to replace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts