Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I keep getting grinding from the aftermarket parking brakes I bought at Autozone. They damaged the rotor I bought, which was just replaced. Adjusting the star wheel and interior cabin adjustment seem to have no effect. They still grind. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Steve T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced everything replaceable at this point except the parking cable itself. Not sure if it can get too much tension on its own. It seems to operate though, so I am really at a loss.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a cable hanging up? Jack up the rear end and apply the emergency brake, check both wheels to verify the e-brake is applied, now release it and check again to make sure it releases. If all of this works as it should it's time to figure out which side is making the noise and disassemble the brakes and remove the rotor to look at the brake shoe installation. Also after you find out what's going on and fix it you have to get the adjustment right. Since you adjusted the cables as well as the star wheels you need to start at a base setting. First, loosen the cable adjuster so there is slack in the cables and if you're able to see them the e-brake arm is in the fully released position. Second, after fixing any problems you find with the install adjust the shoes. To adjust the shoes I suggest chocking the front wheels and putting the rig in neutral, this makes it easier to feel the drag when adjusting the shoes. Put the rotors on and make sure you line up the adjusting hole on the rotor and axle hub and lightly tighten 2 lug nuts to hold the rotor to the axle. Adjust the star wheel till the rotor stops turning by hand then back it off till there's a light drag, 5 to 8 turns. Do this with both sides. Now you can adjust the lever. Tighten the adjuster nut till the lever moves about 5 clicks to apply the brake, over adjusting the lever will cause rapid shoe wear so don't go less than 5clicks on the adjustment. Recheck the e-brake operation and if all is good you're done. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found the source. I disassembled the entire rear parking brake section on the passenger side. There was a missing shim on the parking brake shoe lever. Not sure where it went to. A new shim fixed the wobble in the lever, and got rid of a squeak enough for me to find the rest of the noise is coming from the rear brakes themselves. Thank you for the help and advice. You are dead on btw Gearwrench. Almost the exact way I used to find what was wonky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts