Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , just a few question on the electronic throttle controllers on the market, are they worth the money , do they save fuel , any good for towing , apexi , cammus or petal commander , thanks for any replies

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
They make the throttle open faster than you push with your foot. That's all. If they cost $50 they'd be worth it. They charge way more than that, though (last one posted on here was like $300).

However, the folks who have them and like them appreciate that they do open the throttle faster, which gives the impression of the vehicle more accurately responding to your foot. If the cost is worth it then they are definitely worth it.

No fuel savings, or any performance change of any kind, simply faster rate of throttle opening than stock (which your foot is also perfectly capable of doing for you, if so desired).

N

·
Registered
120 Posts
I myself couldn't stand the throttle lag. Then heard of the Sprint Booster. If I was going to spend $300 on it I wanted to make sure it Worked. I read tons of reviews and watched you tube vids. And finally pulled the trigger and bought one.
Still think they cost too much, but don't regret buying it.
Now I have the throttle response I wanted and also it down shifts quicker when getting off the throttle. which is another thing I like about it. Cause before when getting off the gas, it felt like I put it in neutral and just coasting. That made me mash on the brakes more coming to a stop.
And no, your foot can not replicate the response it gives. I just hope it never fails, cause I'd have to order another.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the feed back , I've never owned an automatic before so I'm still getting use to that , any tips on towing with these controllers , or just towing (about 2ton ) in general

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sprint booster won't help towing, only helps in acceleration. You need gears and supercharger for towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
Hi thanks for the feed back , I've never owned an automatic before so I'm still getting use to that , any tips on towing with these controllers , or just towing (about 2ton ) in general
G'day,
For towing always fit an auxiliary transmission cooler, there are plenty of threads how to...
and when towing do not drive in D, pull it back to 4th the overdrive ratio in D, is too low.
The only time you can use D when towing is down hill really, or maybe very flat level roads once you are up to cruising speed.
But easier to leave it in 4th.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi , mines only got D4 so does that mean use third , it's all flat just picking up bulk urea , so no hills to worry about

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
Hi , mines only got D4 so does that mean use third , it's all flat just picking up bulk urea , so no hills to worry about
G'Day Ralphy.
Its a bit of an optical illusion.
to the left is D to the right is D4, the shifter slides left n right to take the gear.
so you definitely have a 5 speed transmission
Third is too low except up hills ..
The A750 gearbox, can be driven like a manual to some degree, 3rd, 4th, 5th ... just select the right gear for the situation, to keep your revs in the power band.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
70 Posts
Excellent advice....I would also recommend doing a flush, all 12 quarts, before you start stressing your transmission by towing heavy loads. A cooler with a fan is a must, and for good measure there is an excellent external filter, Magnefine---Aussie made---which can be easily installed. The A750 transmission only has an internal mesh screen, FYI.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
G'Day Ralphy.
Its a bit of an optical illusion.
to the left is D to the right is D4, the shifter slides left n right to take the gear.
so you definitely have a 5 speed transmission
Third is too low except up hills ..
The A750 gearbox, can be driven like a manual to some degree, 3rd, 4th, 5th ... just select the right gear for the situation, to keep your revs in the power band.
Cheers
Baz
well...just to be clear the Australians are backwards and upside down from the US.

With a left hand drive vehicle, like in the US/Canada (and unlike our Aussie friends). Drive (5th gear) is is to the right. Pulling the auto trans lever just to the left with bring it to (4th gear).

ralphy sounds like you have been driving in D4 rather than D (5th gear) and you wouldnt be the first to make that mistake.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also purchased the Sprint Booster for my FJ, I've had it for 2 years and it works great. I think it was worth the $300 price tag. It doesn't do anything but change your accelerator input and make it more responsive from the factory feel. It sure feels faster and more responsive with the Sprint Booster versus the factory mushy feel.
I use the medium setting because the top setting was to touchy with down shifting. A supercharger would be nice but until they make one for a 2013, I'll keep the sprint booster.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
well...just to be clear the Australians are backwards and upside down from the US.
:rofl::rofl:

so true.... we are upside down and backwards..... :rofl::rofl:
sorry for the backward explanation ....:lol:

Silv got it right for all you lefties .....

Cheers
Baz

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
38,085 Posts
Didn't come with one so I'm relying on the wisdoms of the crowds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you'd like or need a manual, you can go to My Toyota, or just search Toyota FJ Owner's Manual and that site has all the Owner's Manuals, warranty info, and other things that you can read and download for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you'd like or need a manual, you can go to My Toyota, or just search Toyota FJ Owner's Manual and that site has all the Owner's Manuals, warranty info, and other things that you can read and download for free.
Cool thanks

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts