Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals I just got an 08 VB FJ on saturday and was looking at getting new wheels and tires. My question is does anybody use aftermarket sensors, and will they interfere with the stock system? I was thinking of the Hella TC-400 from tirerack, it would be nice to see the actual psi instead of just a warning light!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Congrats on the new FJ! I too have the '08 and I mounted some new aftermarket rims and tires, but used the OEM TPMS sensors. They work fine, but as you said, all I have is the warning indicator on the dash.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I like the Hella system (I guess I could get used to the cheesy oval display, but wish it were designed better), but the cost, whoa...

I'll wait for more lower-cost alternatives to come to market.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tirerack wanted $436 to install factory sensors, whereas the Hella system is only $260 for 5 sensors and digital display. I just want to make sure it doesnt run at the same frequency as stock setup.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
You already have factory sensors, so you should be able to re-use your factory sensors in aftermarket wheels (most wheels). It sounds like they're trying to sell you more sensors than you need (unless you're planning on keeping the old tires and wheels for later use).

Even if you decide to go with the Hella system, and it turns out to be incompatible with the OEM sensoring system, nothing more will happen other than the in-dash light will be displayed. You'll be using the Hella system to verify pressure, so disregard the in-dash indicator. The FJ will still function fine, as the OEM tire sensor system doesn't disable anything.

Regarding the earlier comment about the cost of the Hella system: I'd rather put the $260 toward my bumper fund, and just use the old-fashioned tire pressure guage, for the time being... :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am keeping my stock wheels with plans to throw mudders on them in the future. I hear ya about the funds though, I want an expedition 1 bumper but with the 3" OME lift and wheels & tires I'm not gonna get that by the wife:mecry: Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Just reuse your factory TPMS, and save up for your other stuff.:rocker:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have the Hella TC-400 system on all 5 tires and I love it. I love the fact I can program the temp and pressures, and the display color. I did a write up on the install search it. My tires are always at perfect pressures now. I mounted the display unit above my rear view mirror. I have bigger pictures in my thread "new meats finally on!!" of the hella system. I do have an '07 FJ that did not come with factory TPMS and that is the ONLY reason I put one in, but now I so glad it did it does so much more than the factory system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I decided on skipping the tpms for my second set of wheels and I'm getting an AFE 3" catback instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts