Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a really good air compressor for both trail emergencies and airing back up when coming backm off the trails. I have a couple of cheap ones that I carry with the atv's but wonder if anyone has found a good one for our purpose.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I know people use the ARB compressors and are pleased with them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the ARB CKMA12's installed in both FJ's. They work like a champ and will not let you down. We air up and down all the time for trail runs and have had to use them on the highway after a wayward bolt found it's way ito a brand new KO2.:wink

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is the 100% duty cycle worth the extra dough over the 400p?
Good question! Living in the desert southwest, IMHO 100% duty cycle is mandatory when its sunny and 112 degrees outside.

Heat destroys the insulation that covers/protects the windings in an electric motor. It's just a matter of time ................

With that said, either compressor would serve you well. :)

·
Desert Moderator
5,664 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts

Specs:
-1.5 HP Motor
-82 amps draw @ 100 psi
-Continuous Duty Rating @ 150 psi, 200 psi max pressure
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi”
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16″ long x 6″ wide x 9.5″ tall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Viair 400H hard mounted in my FJ that I've been really pleased with so far, the 450 series is 100% duty cycle which is great if you're going to be airing up other people, but that's not something I do often enough and the 400 series is a little faster and a little cheaper. The ARB twin is a solid choice, but if I was going to spend that kind of money I think I'd go for the Extreme Outback option.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Single ARB compressor mounted inside the cargo bay, directly over the jack compartment. Completely adequate for boosting 265-75R16 KO2s from 18 PSI back to 45 PSI in a reasonable period of time. Inside mounting protects the system from dust, moisture, and the compressor runs MUCH cooler than one in the engine bay that's already heat-soaked to over 120F.

Since I had already run aircraft-quality wire back to the cargo bay for the compressor, I included a power-distribution panel with circuit-breaker protected outlets for the fridge and an aux 12VDC outlet. A master 50A marine circuit breaker in the engine bay protects the wiring, which runs inside the LH frame rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Single ARB compressor mounted inside the cargo bay, directly over the jack compartment. Completely adequate for boosting 265-75R16 KO2s from 18 PSI back to 45 PSI in a reasonable period of time. Inside mounting protects the system from dust, moisture, and the compressor runs MUCH cooler than one in the engine bay that's already heat-soaked to over 120F.

Since I had already run aircraft-quality wire back to the cargo bay for the compressor, I included a power-distribution panel with circuit-breaker protected outlets for the fridge and an aux 12VDC outlet. A master 50A marine circuit breaker in the engine bay protects the wiring, which runs inside the LH frame rail.
Is the fitting at the rightside of the manifold a pressure switch?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Is the fitting at the rightside of the manifold a pressure switch?
Yes, that's an adjustable aircraft pressure switch, set at 60 PSI. I normally just watch the gauge on the manifold and shut the compressor off when tire pressure reaches the desired value, but the automatic 60 PSI shutoff keeps pressure within the safe range for E-load range tires if I should get distracted.

The switch ARB supplies with the compressor opens at 150 PSI, which would not have been capable of automatically shutting off the compressor safely while the locking tire chuck was connected to the tire.

·
Desert Moderator
5,664 Posts
how are you guys mounting the single ARB under the hood? I wanna get one, but don't know where to mount it.
Theres a Bandi mount kit for it.
I put mine on the 2nd battery mount platform in front of the air box.
Seriously considering the bandi kit and air tank.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts