Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Viair 45043 and it's good. It's powerful and very quiet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Many of the negative Amazon ratings for this model describe the same types of failures.

If you are going to be using a compressor for airing up your tires after off-roading, it is a critical piece of safety equipment to get you back on the highway.

I wouldn't recommend a cheap, low-end product for this purpose; I think any of the 400-series Viair products would probably be a better choice.

I have been using an on-board ARB compressor (CKMA-12) for 5 years with perfect reliability and am very satisfied with it.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,995 Posts
If I were getting an air compressor, Vivair or ARB Twin Compressor would be my pick. And if I were really gonna do a full setup, I would add an air tank, air hose adapters near the front and rear bumpers, and of course (since I'm a railroad fan) a train horn!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were getting an air compressor, Vivair or ARB Twin Compressor would be my pick. And if I were really gonna do a full setup, I would add an air tank, air hose adapters near the front and rear bumpers, and of course (since I'm a railroad fan) a train horn!
Will check it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Oasis XD4000 is the best in class compressor, so much CFM it doesn't need a tank it can run air tools directly, american made unlike most competitors, completely serviceable and makes everything else look cheap and low end.
Watching one operate makes all other compressors look like plastic toys.

I run a cheap (less than $100) and low end, Chinese (like the rest most commonly manufactured) compressor. 5.65 cfm airs up a 285-70 17 from 20 psi to 42 psi in less than 2 minutes with a 40 minute duty cycle. It has been running strong for five years.

If your worried about "critical safety equipment" buy two.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Check out this detailed and quantitative review of various 4x4 compressor options:

VIAIR seems to be a reputable brand. I found their smaller models to be a little too chintzy and plasticky for my liking.

I am of course biased now that I have installed the ARB twin compressor...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I use a Viair 450P, 100% duty cycle, I love it. :)

Reactions: Sparky of SoCal

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
Yes.

My next door neighbor's H1 with central tire inflation uses an Oasis compressor. Oasis manufacturing is less than 1 mile from my office, nice guys also make TrailHead Deflators, coincidentally Viair Corporate is 1/2 mile North.
Nice compressors and good to know the top of the line now.
Better have some 4/0 to wire it up.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Oasis XD4000 is the best in class compressor, so much CFM it doesn't need a tank it can run air tools directly, american made unlike most competitors, completely serviceable and makes everything else look cheap and low end.
Watching one operate makes all other compressors look like plastic toys.

I run a cheap (less than $100) and low end, Chinese (like the rest most commonly manufactured) compressor. 5.65 cfm airs up a 285-70 17 from 20 psi to 42 psi in less than 2 minutes with a 40 minute duty cycle. It has been running strong for five years.

If your worried about "critical safety equipment" buy two.
Nice compressor, with a 15 CFM flowrate at 50 PSI, but with a maximum current draw of 180 amps and a bare compressor weight of 65 lbs it is probably not well matched to the off-road requirements of the 'typical' 4WD vehicle. And at over $1600, it would be hard to make a case that it was cost-effective, especially for an accessory that only runs a few hours a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts