Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

Just wondering what is a good trail compressor to carry in my FJ for airing back up once the blacktop reappears?? Is there one that is faster without spending a ton of money?? Is there a diff between hooking up to the battery or plugging into the AC plug in the rear as far as performance?? I have read quite a few posts and trust the experience here....thanks man....
dave(man) :rocker:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Q industries thru amazon,connects directly to battery,comes with hose ,and bag.Wiring mine up to a relay and then to swith,mounting in all under the hood,Draws +amps so no cigarette lighter hook up

·
Registered
936 Posts
:mecry: Bought a China made compressor from Harbor freight about a year ago for around $50.00, it worked ok, not fast or slow on airing up 32" tire. It died at Cruise Moab the first time I used it, aired up first tire fine, started on 2nd tire and it went about a second and died, checked the fuse and it was good, it wasn't even hot yet (usally after airing up 4 tires it was getting hot) so I had to borrow a friends compressor the rest of the week. After getting home I checked the switch/fuse holder with volt/ohm meter and all checked out ok, problem is further inside when I have more time I will disassemble it just to find out what went wrong. In the year I had it I used it only a few times, maybe aired up 20-25 tires total, would have been nice if it would have lasted longer.

Moral of the story: You get what you pay for. :cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I currently have CO2 and it's great with the ability to not only fill the tires fast but even run a 1/2" impact wrench. I'm thinking of also adding a compressor since I would eventually like to get a front locker.I like this new one from ARB but it is expensive. Also can't find too many places that carry it. I like the fact that you could also run air tools on it because of its high cfm output and 100% duty cycle.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Twin-Air-Compressor-CKMTA12-P21341.aspx

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I currently have CO2 and it's great with the ability to not only fill the tires fast but even run a 1/2" impact wrench. I'm thinking of also adding a compressor since I would eventually like to get a front locker.I like this new one from ARB but it is expensive. Also can't find too many places that carry it. I like the fact that you could also run air tools on it because of its high cfm output and 100% duty cycle.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Twin-Air-Compressor-CKMTA12-P21341.aspx

Wow....that ARB looks amazing ! ! ...might need to be a down the raod thing for me as I'd like to get a 3" lift and taller tires first with a limited budget....thanks man ! ! :rocker:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:mecry: Bought a China made compressor from Harbor freight about a year ago for around $50.00, it worked ok, not fast or slow on airing up 32" tire. It died at Cruise Moab the first time I used it, aired up first tire fine, started on 2nd tire and it went about a second and died, checked the fuse and it was good, it wasn't even hot yet (usally after airing up 4 tires it was getting hot) so I had to borrow a friends compressor the rest of the week. After getting home I checked the switch/fuse holder with volt/ohm meter and all checked out ok, problem is further inside when I have more time I will disassemble it just to find out what went wrong. In the year I had it I used it only a few times, maybe aired up 20-25 tires total, would have been nice if it would have lasted longer.

Moral of the story: You get what you pay for. :cheers:

Good to know....I actually appreciate the heads-up on the items to not waste money on since I don't have a money tree..... :cheers:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The $40 cheapo at VatoZone / pep boys will do just fine as long as you're not in a hurry. You're better off clipping straight to the battery; there is no advantage to going through the inverter, which is not designed to run anything with a very high amperage/wattage draw.

Thanks for the reply....I'm always down for saving money on items but do want reliable stuff when I'm not close to home... :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks like ur not filling up any swamper, i recommend MF-1050 (Tsunami), cost effective, fast, and reliable. It does a great job filling up 32" tires... 15-32 psi in about 3 min, 25-32 psi 2 min.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Good to know....I actually appreciate the heads-up on the items to not waste money on since I don't have a money tree..... :cheers:

Harbor Freight allows you to buy an extended warrenty. It is usually cheap. A friend of mine bought one of their 10,000 lb winches. They asked him to buy the warrenty. He returned it, and they just told him to go get another one. No questions asked. Not tryng to build up Harbor Freight, just letting people know that there is cheap insurance when you buy CHINESE.

Jax':wave:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You could just buy a used/new Co2 tank off ebay, and then go down to your local beverage company, coke, pepsi, etc... and pay a few bucks to have them fill it up. Every place is different so I would decide on the size bottle I want, 15lb being the standard, call them up and find out what it would cost. I know you can get a 15lb aluminum tank for less than $100, and I've heard a fill up is like $15. And a fill up will inflate your tires like I don't remember now, but I want to say 20something times.

Here's some tanks...
http://cgi.ebay.com/15-Pound-Co2-Cylinder-Tank-New-Aluminum-/350397158064?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51954c52b0#ht_500wt_715

http://cgi.ebay.com/15-lb-CO2-Tank-Steel-Cylinder-Homebrew-Fresh-Hydro-/280678136435?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159b87a73#ht_663wt_698

http://cgi.ebay.com/15LB-Co2-No2-Black-Steel-Tank-Nice-Shape-/280684708793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415a1cc3b9#ht_500wt_715

All of these have shipping charges, but if you bide your time, I have seen aluminum tanks, brand new, free shipping for like $80. Another idea, somebody suggested this once, forget who, is to go down to your local beverage company and just ask, they may have some older bottles they would be willing to sell to you on the cheap. They will be ugly, but nothing a some sanding and paining can fix.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have used this model for a couple of years and been very happy. Faster than any other portable I have owned.

Thanks Bro.....ordered the 400 off of Amazon for $198.00 :rocker:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Any one have any luck with the CKMTA12? I have CO2 on one of my other trucks and like the idea of my FJ having a compressor that can run power tools. It sucks to run out of CO2 right when might need it...

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Take an additional 10% off the Ironman or the ARB compressors using discount code "Black10" starting on Wed. The savings continue until Dec 1st.
Code also works on: Icon, Bajarack, OME, Source, IPF, Safari Snorkels and Tuffy products.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts