Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really thought about it before, but does anyone air down for a heavy snow fall? We are looking at between 8" to 24" of snow in the next 12 to 18 hours. I air down for the loose condition in the woods so why not for the snow? I'm not saying drop the pressure down as much, just a few lbs.. Anyone out there do this? Just wondering if it was a good idea because the FJ is not the best truck I've ever driven in the snow, it's not bad, but I wish I had better traction & more control in the deeper snow. I'm running fairly new BFG A/T's. I think I'll drop a few lbs. tonight & see how it handles. I know I can't go too far with the pressure, I'm sure some of the roads will be cleared, but the side roads will be nasty for sure. Anyway, thought's???

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear what your saying, but I consider the A/T a snow tire. I've had BFG A/T's on everything I've ever owned & never had any issues. I am currently running at 35 psi. in them, so I was thinking maybe 30/32 lbs. may do it. Might make it handle more poorly, I don't know. Maybe I'll just leave it, just wondering if anyone does it.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I think proper inflation is better in snow than airing down. The BFG AT is a very good all around tire, I've run them on several vehicles. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You could air down your choice, it won't make much of a difference but will somewhat...I have dick cepek crushers I keep them at 32 psi , I kept the stock dun lops at the sam a and last year in ny we had that blizzard and I had no problems in the snow, and those tires sucked, but I can't wait for this snow fall as log as u take it easy you won't have a problem

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
On the street I would not be airing down. You want the tires to cut down through the snow to the street to get traction. Pizza cutters work better.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, the more I think about it the less chance I'll be airing down. Think 35 psi is too high for the BFG A/T's? Maybe I should be running 32 anyway. I had the KM2's on last year & man did they kick it in the dirt, best tire I've ever run in the woods. Noticed the difference in the first 5 min.'s I turned off the pavement. Not very impressed with them in the snow though. I seem to go through a set of tires every year, it's always in the spring time when I need new one's & be the time the winter rolls around there at 1/2 thread or lower. This year I ran the old ones down pretty low to start with & then broke my leg so the FJ sat for 3 months (3 months of no tread wear). I'm in real good shape for this season & hope it makes a huge difference. Thanks for the comments. MAXX

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't remember where I picked up this info, probably from this forum...

High pressure results in a skinnier tire and is better for snow ghat is no deeper than a couple of inches above your ground clearance. The idea here is that you want to cut through the snow and give your tires a chance to "key" with the road underneath.

Low pressure results in a fatter tire and is better for snow that is deeper than a couple inches more than your ground clearance. The idea here is that you need flotation in order to avoid high centering. The flotation is a result of the larger surface area of tire in contact with the snow. This is why skinnier tires are better for most snow conditions. A big fat tire in six inches of snow will put you in the ditch. For most road conditions you do not want flotation.

There are many assumptions in these guidelines, such as what is under the snow (road or ice), what kind of tires you have (a good snow tire has a softer rubber compound and siping that will key better with the road at low temperatures and icy conditions, but will not provide much traction when relying on flotation).

My advise would be to be sure you are in 4WD, drive slow, and do not drive in snow that is deeper that your vehicle clearance unless you are with a convoy of vehicles, and set up with recovery gear.

I never really thought about it before, but does anyone air down for a heavy snow fall? We are looking at between 8" to 24" of snow in the next 12 to 18 hours. I air down for the loose condition in the woods so why not for the snow? I'm not saying drop the pressure down as much, just a few lbs.. Anyone out there do this? Just wondering if it was a good idea because the FJ is not the best truck I've ever driven in the snow, it's not bad, but I wish I had better traction & more control in the deeper snow. I'm running fairly new BFG A/T's. I think I'll drop a few lbs. tonight & see how it handles. I know I can't go too far with the pressure, I'm sure some of the roads will be cleared, but the side roads will be nasty for sure. Anyway, thought's???

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
only air down if you are stuck. you will put undue stress on the sidewalls if you do it "just to be safe".

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
No need to air down.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Yeppers to above posters.

When on the trails you are typically travelling at slower speeds. High speeds on road generate heat in the sidewalls and increase likelyhood of tire failure. Also, handling is negatively affected by low tire pressure.

Narrow (pizza cutter) tires are best to cut down through the snow and get traction. Super wide tires are great if you are in the arctic region and want to float on top of the snow.

·
Registered
792 Posts
With those tires, you're fine in the 30 to 32 psi range (unless stuck).

I run E rated Destination MT's (overkill for a truck this light), so when it a LOT of soft snow like this, I have to go down to about 26psi--This specific tire has VERY thick side walls and I can't get up my steep driveway if at 32psi or so. Even though it's a softer/bouncier ride at 26psi, these tires are perfect in snow at that range. I've gone as low as 10 psi in crazy deep country mountain snowfalls, and they're remarkable performers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts