Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the air filter today when i noticed there looked to be another filter of some sort going to the intake. What is this? Is this a necessary part? How do I get the engine cover off?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
search the tech section on this forum, there is all the info you need. welcome.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
it's a secondary filter, possibly carbon, to reduce emissions. Tacoma guys toyed with the idea of removing it for gains but the dyno showed no improvement, i'd leave it especially if you use an oiled filter, kind of a second line of defense to keep you MAF clean.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
it's a secondary filter, possibly carbon, to reduce emissions.
I realize that it is a second filtration, but how does more filtration (and in turn reduced air flow to the engine) reduce emissions? I am failing to see how this accomplishes that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I only ask because I want to clean the maf tomorrow and I've never seen secondary filtration on a car before. And I'd search tech, but its hard to do on my phone and I'm still getting to know The site

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Well I only ask because I want to clean the maf tomorrow and I've never seen secondary filtration on a car before. And I'd search tech, but its hard to do on my phone and I'm still getting to know The site
Its pretty easy to clean. Just make sure you clean the sensors and not just the red temperature sensor.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I realize that it is a second filtration, but how does more filtration (and in turn reduced air flow to the engine) reduce emissions? I am failing to see how this accomplishes that.
The hell if I know, I was simply relaying info from TN.com
anyone else want to chime in?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
The second filter is for the fuel recovery system and is not generally recommended to be removed as it may alter the emission controls.
I can't remember if the MAF is between the two, or after the second, but i would guess it is after the second. The ECU will adjust itself for the amount of air flowing through so how will it "alter the emission controls"?

does this also apply to the 2010-11 model?
Can someone post a pic of the mentioned secondary filter?
No, it does not apply. The 2010s have a completely different intake setup. Just one filter on the new design.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
The MAF on the '07-09's is in the intake tube to the throttle body after all filters.

The secondary filter supposedly traps hydrocarbons from coming out of the engine when it's off. That's how it affects emissions. It does not seem to create restriction in the intake airflow as previously mentioned.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
and whats the result? bad? nothing happend? improved mileage?
The comments I saw stated no noticeable difference. I guess that's why you don't see many posts about removing it.

DEWFPO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts