Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feel free to flame away, I need to start hitting the non flame zone:flame:

So yesterday I just bought my new FJ Cruiser (might get it today or tommorow).

My packages were the uprgrade 2 and the convience, if that matters.

I just sold my Rubicon to buy my FJ, always wanted one.

On my Rubi, I had the Airaid cold air intake system (if that's what they call it).

Ok, so I have read great things about the TRD cold air intake system.

I have at least $500.00 to spend on a system. So would everyone recommed the TRD cold air intake system, over a system such as Brute Force, airaid and K&N (whatever one I get, I just don't want to replace filter, want the entire system (sorry, I am very non mechanical).

I won't really be doing any off roading for now, but my guess is that the TRD one is the one to go with? I want the extra power, gas mileage if any, and any beautiful souds it may make:lol:

Also, what would be the place to buy on line (I am not, If I pay a few dollars more, not a big deal).

Also, any extra parts I need for installation of this , thanks

Thanks for the help.

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
It is my OPINION that the benefit from any of these systems is the high flow air filter being installed, not the box. The FJ already has a cold air intake, taking air from the passenger side, front fender well. In my opinion, the best CAI system is a K&N drop in with a Safari snorkel.

If I had $500 to spend, I would put a drop in, high flow filter of your choice (K&N, etc) and spend the rest on something else or put it in the "mod bank" because you know that a lift will be in your future...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
IMO the best option is the TRD CAI mated to the Safari snorkel. Get the TRD. If sound is part of what you want, the box makes a big diff. It is also less restrictive than the factory box.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
TRD will pass emissions.

Yes, the stock intake is a cold air intake, but it is also a HUGE restriction. Look under your engine cover. See all that black plastic? Thats all part of the air intake. It makes the air turn a bunch of times which slows it down and causes restriction. The TRD is a cold air intake, and it goes through a high flow filter, straight into the engine.

I bought the AFE intake in a group buy from FJoel. It cost like $150 less I think...its been awhile since I bought it. AFE makes the TRD cold air intake. The AFE intake looks the same. The rubber couplers are a different color. Big deal. The AFE intake has a hole on the front of the intake. You'll find pages and pages of boring debate on what its for. The short answer is that if you don't like the hole, AFE makes a plug for it. I bought the plug for $7 shipped, but most of the time if you look in the forum you'll see a group buy on the AFE intake which will likely have the plug included so you can put it on or leave it off if you want.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If youre interested in the TRD you may want to take a look at the aFe CAI. very good system that is a lil less $$$ than the TRD as well as a lil more performance... just a thought

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
IMO I think the TRD CAI is great because it's completely closed, but if you're not going to take it off road much then I suggest the AFE CAI.

It's exactly the same as the TRD CAI except it has a hole at the bottom to let cool air in, and it's also a bit cheaper than the TRD one.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
If youre interested in the TRD you may want to take a look at the aFe CAI. very good system that is a lil less $$$ than the TRD as well as a lil more performance... just a thought
IMO I think the TRD CAI is great because it's completely closed, but if you're not going to take it off road much then I suggest the AFE CAI.

It's exactly the same as the TRD CAI except it has a hole at the bottom to let cool air in, and it's also a bit cheaper than the TRD one.:bigthumb:
The aFe CAI now comes with the plug in the box to make it exactly like the TRD if you so wish. I'll snap some pictures and get them on tomorrow night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts