Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airaid 511-302 Intake System with SynthaMax Dry Filter

Installed mine today. The 1.5 hours is a pretty good time estimate. I took my time only one little screw up which I corrected quickly. Can you spot it in the pictures?

Pictures, some not taken, some out of order but the Airaid instructions followed to the letter.

The only comment I have has to do with the three wire harness hold downs, no mounting on the new airbox, may not be needed in older FJ's? Easy to fab at least one to hold the harness. Harness pretty stiff, one should be enough.

Test drive, didn't really notice much in the way of sound. The exhaust is pretty throaty. When I wound it up I could here the intake, about same volume as the exhaust. >:D

Here's the Airaid install instructions: View attachment AIR-510-302_inst.pdf

The parts all but the airbox cover
IMG_0316.jpg

Before - all stock
IMG_0331.jpg

Remove the 6mm anchor bolt from the resonator. Disconnect the crankcase breather and fuel pressure regulator lines. Loosen the clamps on both ends of the intake tube
and remove the entire intake/resonator assembly.
IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Disconnect the Mas Air Flow sensor.
IMG_0337.jpg

Before you remove the air box there are three harness tie downs that have to be disconnected.
IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Remove the air box cover and filter. Remove the three bolts (didn't get a pic of the inside of the stock air box) :frown Remove the air box
IMG_0341.jpg

Apply the self adhesive, Foam Weatherstrip onto the air inlet on the Cold Air Box
IMG_0342.jpg

Mount the Filter Adapter to the Cold Air Box, as shown, using three 1/4-20 x 1/2” Button head Bolts and 1/4” Flat Washers.
IMG_0344.jpg

Mount the Cold Air Box onto the CAB Mounts using the three 8mm Bolts and 5/16 Flat Washers. Mount the Mass Airflow Sensor on the Airaid intake tube (no pic)Mount the Cold Air Box onto the CAB Mounts using the three 8mm Bolts and 5/16 Flat Washers . Install the airbox
IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Installed the two fittings on the intake tube. Installed the hump hose and reducer and their clamps. Install the intake tube. Shows the Airaid filter and decal installed
IMG_0353.jpg

Connect the factory crank case breather line to the 3/8 Barbed Fitting on the Intake Tube and replace the OEM vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator with the supplied 17” 1/8” line. Connect the 1/8” line to the second Fitting on the Intake tube.
IMG_0354.jpg

The Mass Airflow sensor connected.
IMG_0355.jpg

Seal on the bottom of the top, top mounted
IMG_0356.jpg

Everything tightened and double checked. Install complete.
IMG_0357.jpg

Trimmed engine cover per instructions.
IMG_0359.jpg

Engine cover installed
IMG_0358.jpg

What was removed
IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

The swirl thingy that we've talked about removing in the OEM airbox mod. :grin
IMG_0363.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
You mounted the adapter onto the airbox incorrectly at first. That's the error.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Dang.....never realized how different the intake on later FJ's is from the earlier ones.

·
Registered
851 Posts
@Lee44 thanks for the detailed write-up.

I am kind of surprised that Airaid does not recommend removing the 90-degree plastic neck from the inner fender well like the TRD CAI. If you feel like taking the lower box out again here's what I am referring to... https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/9277996-post58.html

Figured if you are going to increase airflow might as well go all the way :)

John

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
@Lee44 thanks for the detailed write-up.

I am kind of surprised that Airaid does not recommend removing the 90-degree plastic neck from the inner fender well like the TRD CAI. If you feel like taking the lower box out again here's what I am referring to... https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/9277996-post58.html

Figured if you are going to increase airflow might as well go all the way :)

John
Here is a better way to increase airflow...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts