Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a review of the newly developed CAI for the FJ Cruiser/Tacoma

I friend of mine, does the R&D for Airaid and decided to develop one for the off-road market . My understanding is , the Jeep Pentastar folks, are giving this intake, lots of love. Most of the Airaid folks, are Toyota fanatics, so they wanted their own system . I figured, since I am reviewing it for him, I would post my review here.

I already am running the AFE CAI and decided to give this intake a workout.

The box arrived a whole 1 day after it was shipped . (Phoenix isn't very far from here )

First impression was that this is one of those intakes that put a divider in the engine bay, instead of using the fender area to pull in outside air. So I opened it up and realized that the intake on the package is just a standard picture , that doesn't really reflect the specific intake in the box, phhhew , I didn't want to send it back

The packaging was done well . Along with a sheet, that actually had human writing on it. Nice to see they still verify contents, with inspector number xxxx:)

After the AFE uninstall, I compared some of the main parts of the intake

The main tube is much larger and seemed the be well made. The flex is what really stood out. I know some have had issues with the TRD and the AFE tubes coming apart from the box. It looks like Airaid has a better solution for the flex tube

The hardware packaging was done the way I thought it should be done. All the parts were separated in sections, which makes it easy to count and figure out what goes where . I didn't think about taking this pic, until I had removed, some of the parts .

Install was straight forward

Filter is an oil style , that has a layer of water resistant foam inside.

There is also a pre-filter you can buy , that is also water resistant. Normally I am not big on pre-filters, but it will add some life to my filter oil intervals

Why would you do all of this , without cleaning your MAF sensor? Afterall , that alone, adds 10 hp. :bigthumb: :)

One thing I noticed , while installing the box, itself (of course I forgot to take a pic) was that the tube, going through the fender was much better to seal, versus the AFE. The AFE had a very short snout that barely fit to the fender and didn't really seal like it should
The Airaid , had a longer tube that sealed perfectly, in the fender opening.

Here is the finished picture
It went together much better than the AFE, because of the way the silicone boots are designed. Plus there was much more room for flex and vibration

I was explained there are 60 dyno runs, that were done, getting the specific tuning, of the new design. They have the advantage of having a dyno in house.

I was told to give it about 45 miles, to settle everything in for the ecu.
My first observation is that is a wee bit throatier, when you go WOT. My idle was so smooth, I had to look at the tach, to see if it was running at the stop sign.
That may be a symptom , of cleaning the throttle body/MAF sensor , but the intake seemed smooth.

It did feel a little more peppy, but my AFE may have soon been do for a cleaning .

If I compared the 2, side by side on the shelf, I would probably choose the Airaid, because it just seems to be designed , a little better.

The knock I have with every CAI that I have had, is the lid of the box, always seems to need a little more rigidity . Same applies here. I think that's just a perception I have though

All in All I think they hit a home run and could be a great player in the CAI market.

The model number sent to me was the 510-301
He thought this was a better choice for the off-road crowd, versus the 511-301, which is better suited for street stuff
Here is the link for more specs
Airaid - Product Search

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Thanks for the review, Don. I wish you had dyno'd the old set up and the new one (I have never done this, so I recognize the hypocracy). I do like the new Air Raid set up vs. the old one in that you have a box that can be incorporated into a snorkel set up to retain a water-tight intake.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very interesting review. Currently I run the AFE stage 2 on my truck and I like it but if this would be an upgrade I would definitely pick one up. Do you have a way of monitoring your incoming air temps? Maybe a side by side dyno, (AFE vs air aid) is in order? ;)

·
Premium Member
10,864 Posts
G'day Don,
Great write up, thanks, do you know if they plan on doing a +2010 version.
It doesn't look like it would fit the newer model engine / engine layout..
Thanks n Cheers
Baz

G'day Don,
Sorry, just re-read the Airraid website.
They state they have a model for the +2010, but the picture they use is the same photo as for the earlier model....
Hmmmm. I'll email them and check.
Thanks heaps
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the review, Don. I wish you had dyno'd the old set up and the new one (I have never done this, so I recognize the hypocracy). I do like the new Air Raid set up vs. the old one in that you have a box that can be incorporated into a snorkel set up to retain a water-tight intake.
You know, if I had access to a dyno, without costing me a crap load of money, I would have done it. I'm not sure the hp difference from one CAI to the other, would be enough difference to justify such an expense. My review is mostly based on touch and feel. Although , since I know the specific person that was involved in the development, I know homework was done. I think either intake, would perform as designed, by each manufacturer. The Airaid , however, seems to have the edge in design and quality of the parts.

Very interesting review. Currently I run the AFE stage 2 on my truck and I like it but if this would be an upgrade I would definitely pick one up. Do you have a way of monitoring your incoming air temps? Maybe a side by side dyno, (AFE vs air aid) is in order? ;)
Since I have already explained the dyno scenario, I will just add that
the fitment into the fender opening, would probably yield better results from the Airaid. Plus the tube is more robust and seems to have a better flow design . Again side, by side, on the bench, the Airaid seems better, hands down.
G'day Don,
Great write up, thanks, do you know if they plan on doing a +2010 version.
It doesn't look like it would fit the newer model engine / engine layout..
Thanks n Cheers
Baz

G'day Don,
Sorry, just re-read the Airraid website.
They state they have a model for the +2010, but the picture they use is the same photo as for the earlier model....
Hmmmm. I'll email them and check.
Thanks heaps
Baz
Actually the picture they show , is identical to the 2007-2009 model. I would imagine the picture is just a standard set up. They do make one , like the one I got, specifically for the 2010 and up
Here is the link
Airaid - Product Search
G'Day Baz

·
Premium Member
10,864 Posts
G'day Don,
Thanks for the message.
Cool, I've also asked them, space is so tight around the airbox, anything bigger than the oem foot print will have trouble squeezing it in.
As much as I would like to install the CAI, I have to be sure it will fit before making the commitment, as the freight will add a tad to the cost.
Thanks heaps.
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a family of pigmies living under your hood ? :jester:

I can take a overhead picture, if that would help you.

Let me know how I can help

If you pay my freight to Australia, I'll even bring it to install :lol:

I have to say, I always enjoy your posts :bigthumb:

G'Dayum Baz :)

·
Premium Member
10,864 Posts
Do you have a family of pigmies living under your hood ? :jester:

I can take a overhead picture, if that would help you.

Let me know how I can help

If you pay my freight to Australia, I'll even bring it to install :lol:

I have to say, I always enjoy your posts :bigthumb:

G'Dayum Baz :)
G'day Don,
haha, thanks heaps.
There is no room for the pigmies under the hood.... haha, its already crowded as it is..... I'll take a photo and upload it.
I've got a square foot or so behind the airbox empty, at the moment, but am building up house electrical distribution for that spot, a 500 amp solenoid, 4 x 80 amp circuit breakers and 4 x 100 amp relays, controlled from a custom panel Joel is building for the cabin. After that.... not much left.... haha.
Not like the old days when the engine bay had space for the pigmies....

Cheers
Baz
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,864 Posts
G'day Don,
I've been communicating with Airaid, and now have the dims of their airbox, so I am going to mock up a dummy, and check that it fits. If it does, I hope its actually a shade smaller than the oem box, then I'll go ahead and order one.
Can you confirm if the shape of the airaid box is square, in that the sides are not fluted up n out like the oem box is. Hard to describe but the base/foot print of the oem is smaller than the top, so I am hoping the airaid box is more vertical.. or straight sided.
Thanks heaps
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
AirRaid 511-301 at amazon, $281.56

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always liked the dry filter. Some of the other oil filters, I've seen, have let too much dirt by. the engineer assured me this is a better filter than others, I have seen. He does bench flow tests, with comparisons to how much dirt has passed. I will keep tabs on my intakle, to ee how this one does

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
One of the potential problems with the oiled filters is contanmination of the MAF. You need to be careful when clearning and re-oiling the filters. This why Airaid and K&N etc offer the dry filters for CAIs

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the potential problems with the oiled filters is contanmination of the MAF. You need to be careful when clearning and re-oiling the filters. This why Airaid and K&N etc offer the dry filters for CAIs
Yes
I didn't mention that in the above post, but that is very true
That why I will monitor my MAF sensor, to be sure it is happy and clean

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yes
I didn't mention that in the above post, but that is very true
That why I will monitor my MAF sensor, to be sure it is happy and clean
For my 2007 TRD CAI, I actually have one of each
TRD oiled cone filter
AFE dry cone filter

I can use the one that is best for the conditions I'm driving in, and for when I'm cleaning one or the other.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a review of the newly developed CAI for the FJ Cruiser/Tacoma

I friend of mine, does the R&D for Airaid and decided to develop one for the off-road market . My understanding is , the Jeep Pentastar folks, are giving this intake, lots of love. Most of the Airaid folks, are Toyota fanatics, so they wanted their own system . I figured, since I am reviewing it for him, I would post my review here.

I already am running the AFE CAI and decided to give this intake a workout.

The box arrived a whole 1 day after it was shipped . (Phoenix isn't very far from here )

First impression was that this is one of those intakes that put a divider in the engine bay, instead of using the fender area to pull in outside air. So I opened it up and realized that the intake on the package is just a standard picture , that doesn't really reflect the specific intake in the box, phhhew , I didn't want to send it back

The packaging was done well . Along with a sheet, that actually had human writing on it. Nice to see they still verify contents, with inspector number xxxx:)

After the AFE uninstall, I compared some of the main parts of the intake

The main tube is much larger and seemed the be well made. The flex is what really stood out. I know some have had issues with the TRD and the AFE tubes coming apart from the box. It looks like Airaid has a better solution for the flex tube

The hardware packaging was done the way I thought it should be done. All the parts were separated in sections, which makes it easy to count and figure out what goes where . I didn't think about taking this pic, until I had removed, some of the parts .

Install was straight forward

Filter is an oil style , that has a layer of water resistant foam inside.

There is also a pre-filter you can buy , that is also water resistant. Normally I am not big on pre-filters, but it will add some life to my filter oil intervals

Why would you do all of this , without cleaning your MAF sensor? Afterall , that alone, adds 10 hp. :bigthumb: :)

One thing I noticed , while installing the box, itself (of course I forgot to take a pic) was that the tube, going through the fender was much better to seal, versus the AFE. The AFE had a very short snout that barely fit to the fender and didn't really seal like it should
The Airaid , had a longer tube that sealed perfectly, in the fender opening.

Here is the finished picture
It went together much better than the AFE, because of the way the silicone boots are designed. Plus there was much more room for flex and vibration

I was explained there are 60 dyno runs, that were done, getting the specific tuning, of the new design. They have the advantage of having a dyno in house.

I was told to give it about 45 miles, to settle everything in for the ecu.
My first observation is that is a wee bit throatier, when you go WOT. My idle was so smooth, I had to look at the tach, to see if it was running at the stop sign.
That may be a symptom , of cleaning the throttle body/MAF sensor , but the intake seemed smooth.

It did feel a little more peppy, but my AFE may have soon been do for a cleaning .

If I compared the 2, side by side on the shelf, I would probably choose the Airaid, because it just seems to be designed , a little better.

The knock I have with every CAI that I have had, is the lid of the box, always seems to need a little more rigidity . Same applies here. I think that's just a perception I have though

All in All I think they hit a home run and could be a great player in the CAI market.

The model number sent to me was the 510-301
He thought this was a better choice for the off-road crowd, versus the 511-301, which is better suited for street stuff
Here is the link for more specs
Airaid - Product Search
this, was, a, great, review. thanks, for, sharing.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Follow up to my review
After about 5000 miles Summit trip , daily driving, pulling my trailer daily I can say I am happy with how the intake performs. It's actually a little louder than the previous AFE, but it could be because of the media type. The pre -filter has kept the filter much cleaner and is very easy rinse dry and put back in . I would recommend this intake. Fit and finish is great. It has a nice style and seems to perform well.

On a side note.
The day after the initial install, I took the MAF sensor back out. The reason was during the install, I didn't pay too much attention to the o-ring. That night I played it back in my head and realized this. When I went out to my garage the next morning , bingo! There was an o-ring on the ground .

I attempted to install and realized it had stretched, so it wasn't making a good seal.

How important is that o-ring?

Even though there is a secondary foam seal around the MAF housing, the o-ring is suppose to make a perfect seal, not to let unfiltered air from being sucked into the intake.

After my failed attempted I re installed it and went to work.

During the day I called Toyota. . No dealers in the state had that o-ring.

After worked I went to NAPA ( they seem to have more stuff than most chain auto parts stores)
After an exhaustive search, for the exact correct size, I couldn't find one. So I started to look for something that would work
I found one that was slightly larger diameter of the actually rubber and slightly smaller diameter of the actually o-ring . I had to stretch it some, to fit, but it looked like it would work. Went out to the parking lot and installed it.
I could tell it fit perfectly because while I was inserting the sensor, I could feel it compress pass the outer lip then it had a smooth tight feel. I remember this from my many MAF cleanings.

To save you from trial and error, I am posting the part number, for your future reference .

NAPA part number 727-2113 o-ring .77 cents

1 - 20 of 258 Posts