Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several airbag threads that helped with pointers and other info, but in the process of doing my install I came across some things I'd like to pass along.

First, If you have a lifted FJ do NOT get the standard Airlift kit listed for the FJ.
I searched all the airbag posts and found no data, so after I received the kit and saw how short the bags were in comparison to the space between the bump stop and the lower spring pad on the axle I called Airlift direct. I measured the gap at rest and they gave me a different part number to order (Summit Racing is close to me and they carry a lot of inventory)

Here is one of the other posts on installing airbags.

The basic non-lifted FJ kit is Airlift part no. 60809
The kit recommended for my 3" Icon Stg 2 Lift is Airlift part no. 60744

I cut 3 of the bumstops off, used a heavy kitchen knife and with the vehicle jacked up the slices slid right out between the coils

Installation was not near as complicated as outlined in the above tagged post. Maybe it is because I have the lift, but I literally did not disassemble anything.

The Airlift instructions state to remove the cap on the airbag fitting and compress the bag until all the air is out, then replace the cap. This is not as easy as it sounded and the resulting flat bag is not as flexible as one may think... A bucket of hot water may actually have helped me - but regardless I was able to basically slide the flat bags in between the springs.

Since I have Demello rock rails I just took my hi-lift jack at the furthest point back and jacked up the FJ till the rear wheel was just coming off the ground.
This created plenty of space between the spring coils to work the bag into the spring cavity.

I fed the hose up from the bottom through the hole in the center and managed to get it onto the airbag fitting - and installed the little clamps.

While some of these tasks were more tedious than if the spring was loose, its a lot of disassembly that takes a lot of time to get things loose.

I wanted to be able to control the pressure in the bags both independently and also allow pressure to flow from side to side under off-road articulation situations.

Consequently I ran two lines up from the rear axle. My choice was to bring things to the right rear corner for my controls. It is critical to keep the lines from the exhaust system... Here is how I ran them, along the brake lines to the center

Then up and under the heat shield

Out from under the heatshield, above the right frame rail and up in through the grommet into the cab far right rear corner.

Remove the 115VAC outlet by prying out on the top then lifting it out. I had added the dual 12VDC outlets back there so you will see some extra wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Easy Airlift 1000 Airbag Install and plumbing

At this point my installation becomes a bit more unique in that I incorporated a pressure gauge, bleed fitting, shut-off valves in addition to the fill valves.
This did require additional tubing above what came in the kit...

First my location is right by the door when I open it and yet in a somewhat safe area since with all my heavy use the past 4 years there wasnt a single scratch or gouge there lol...
I bought a tire pressure gauge for $6 at Advance Auto and another set of barbed plastic T fittings. A 1/8" npt brass T fitting, a close 1/8" brass nipple, a barbed hose fitting at an industrial supply house.

The area back there is open and allows room for the gauge etc.

The tire gauge came with a bleed valve which I opted to keep for easy air down of the bags. a little measuring and a second hole. The whole assembly is held in with 2 zip ties since no epoxy wants to stick to the plastic panel..

Added the two fill valves

And the two shut-off valves (1/4" OD tube from Lowes)

Lots of little lines stuffed in this cavity... Anyone wanting a schematic, I havent drawn one up yet...

A view of fittings in the cargo area..

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Easy Airlift 1000 Airbag Install and plumbing

The plumbing schematic:

To each their own but I wanted to have full pressure independent stability when I tow my heavy loads, and full articulation off road.

This is what I came up with and of course if there's a better idea, post it!!

·
Forum Regular
291 Posts
I use Firestone airbags to load level the truck when towing. To make things easier to fill them I installed an Air Lift dual paddle switch controller w/ dual needle (left or/and right) air gauge, on the drivers front side a/c panel. Not liking the tin bezel edge on the gauge, I changed it with spray-can matte black Plastidip. Up on either paddle switch fills and down releases air.

Air Lift dual control.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been investigating Airlift kits also, and have obtained the following information from Airlift.

Kit 60809: 5.38 x 6.5"
Kit 60744: 5.38 x 7.5"
Kit 60733: 5.35 x 8.5"
Kit 60808: 5.38 x 9.5"

On my 2011 (Australian) FJ, at 50 mm (~2") lift i had ~ 240 mm free space from the second rib on the springrubber, so a 8.5" bag would also be a good fit, which happens to be 2" longer that the 60809 recomended for the stock FJ.

polyair.com.au has part numbers for stock and 2" lifted FJ. I have measured the bag to be 8.5" long for the 2" kit.

Hope this information is useful to someone.

First, If you have a lifted FJ do NOT get the standard Airlift kit listed for the FJ.

The basic non-lifted FJ kit is Airlift part no. 60809
The kit recommended for my 3" Icon Stg 2 Lift is Airlift part no. 60744

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just did my Airlift 1000 install the other day. The bags were a PITA x10 to put in my stock TT coils and move within the coils once they were installed (but deflated). I watched some videos on Airlift's website and all showed the airbags moving freely once they were within the coils with no air applied. Not on my FJ...with the coils extended or normal, they were super snug. It was really hard to move them down so that they were snug against the pucks. Removing the coils (per instructions) would have been a huge waste of time and wouldn't have helped one bit. I just jacked up the rear from the factory hitch, which opened the coils enough to get the bags in (with alot of work).

Oh well....it's done now and seems to work fine.

Quick note: in the original post, you mention cutting 3 of the jounce bumpstops, but your picture shows all 4 cut (which is what Airlift recommends anyway, and what I did since I have a stock suspension).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone used these kits in sustained cold weather? Like Canada or Northern US? If they're just going to crack in -40° weather then I should probably avoid them on my primary winter vehicle. How is the general longevity for people that have had them for several years?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ohiobenz...can you send me pics as they are not on the site anymore. Getting ready to do an air bag install and your thread seems pretty straight forward, however some pics would be nice to reference.
Thanks,
Ron
[email protected]

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,767 Posts
Ohiobenz...can you send me pics as they are not on the site anymore. Getting ready to do an air bag install and your thread seems pretty straight forward, however some pics would be nice to reference.
Thanks,@;
Ron
[email protected]
If you right click and "open in new tab" or simply copy and paste the address you can see them. The pics still exist, but since Photobucket recently fvucked us over and took away hosting they don't auto appear. :cheers:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,077 Posts
If you right click and "open in new tab" or simply copy and paste the address you can see them. The pics still exist, but since Photobucket recently fvucked us over and took away hosting they don't auto appear. :cheers:
Right click and view image on that Photobucket message also brings up the photo, but it's in a window of it's own so you leave the forum to see it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys,
I was looking art installing the Airlift # 60744 on my FJ that has the ICON +2 inch springs. However doing some measurements and talking to Airlift after, they indicated to have the best fitment for the airbag is to make sure the fit as much of the inside the coil without being too big. With the 60744 being 7.5 inches + 0.5 inch spacer, they were too short and too wide for the inside of my spring that had about 9 1/4 X 5 1/8 inside dimension. So take your measurements and go to airlift website or even better call them before you order anything.
For my application, they suggested 60920. The bag is 8.5 x 5 and includes 4 spacers, 2 each side ,1/2 thick that allows to fine tune on the height.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts