Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went on a trail run last Sunday that was supposed to pass Chimney Rock, Bull Spring, and then back onto Redington Road and home. I’d never been out there before so I was following my friend in his Xterra but we missed the sign for 4438 to Bull Spring. It was pretty much all downhill from there.

There were two ways to get up this hill. I’m standing at the bottom at the step my FJ wouldn’t clear. I had to get winched partially up the section that is just visible on the left. I couldn’t keep enough momentum and kept getting stuck. Once I got to the tree I was fine.

I was still trying to protect the paint at this point. The FJ isn’t even 6 months old yet.

This section was pretty tame.

This wasn’t.

Not long after that we figured out we were in the wrong place and decided to head back. The sliders were definitely doing their job.

Then things got interesting. I misjudged were the front end was trying to avoid an obstacle and got too close to the edge. The road just collapsed out from under me. I tried to back out and only made it worse. I ended up sitting with the nose up over 20 degrees and leaning right about 35. We tried to pull it out with the Xterra but it only seemed to be getting worse and I was concerned the FJ would roll with me in it. I decided to bite the bullet and asked Richard to head back until he got a cell signal and call for help and I stayed with the FJ.

Richard took this on the way back.

Fortunately, he ran into someone on the way out that was willing to give us a hand. I’m sure I’ll never live this down but I wasn’t going to say no. This was taken right after we decided it would be safer to pull the FJ out if I wasn’t in it. I put the FJ in neutral and steered through the window while we stood on the slider to keep the left side weighted down.

Ultimately we got the FJ out with no damage and what could have been a very expensive day ended up not costing me anything other than a round of beer the next time we meet up. The biggest thing I learned from this experience is don’t go alone. It wouldn’t have taken much for me to roll down that hill if I had continued to try and get out on my own and knows how long it would have taken for me to walk out to find help. At least I’d brought plenty of water and a jacket. Also, I found that I couldn’t put my seatbelt back on after I had gotten out the first time because it was locked in the fully retracted position due to the angle the FJ was sitting. That was the main reason we pulled it out with us on the slider. Is there a way around that?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Glad to hear everything turned out well. Just another example of cooler heads prevailing, glad you had your bud go grab someone. How may people get to say they almost rolled their rig down the side of a mountain?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It took a couple of days for how bad it could have been to really sink in. Sitting in the truck looking at the bottom of that valley was really something. You can see in the last picture that I was having to climb out due to the angle. Anyway, the sliders have been repainted and I think we’re heading out on another run tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts