Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this alignment thing is turning into a royal pain in the ass. Here's my setup, 3" RC lift, light racing UCA's. Nitto tg 285/70/17. Ive been to three different shops now and it still isn't right. Seems to track better but it still has a strong pull to the right. Here the alignment numbers from the last shop. Left front: castor 3.67. Cambor -.35. Right front: castor 3.48 Cambor -.06. Toe 1/16. Took it back in today and they tried adjusting the steering wheel since it seemed a little off, didn't help. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated, road trip coming next week and I'm really needing to dial this in before then. Oh and the tires are pretty new, and didnt pull before this. UCA is set at 0 degrees adjustment pulled all they way out

·
Registered
327 Posts
I called one of the local shops after installing my lr uca, the shop manager said no way they cold line it up...I tried explaining to him about the lift and the ucas. He said anytime you do a lift there is no way to line it up. So I went and talked to the actually alignment guy and told him what I had done. He said he could try to align it, everything was back to factory specs....no problems. The shop manager already had his mind made up when i said lift....maybe you need to find another shop....good luck

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Yes. Find another shop or go to an off-road shop and ask them for a recommendation. Heard of plenty of people getting the lifetime alignment at Firestone too.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
I had mine done at the dealer the first time and was not happy with it. I have since been taking it to a general auto repair place and they get it right every time.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Try these #'s when you take it to the alignment shop....It'll decrease your turning radius a bit, but it should bring you back into specs.....Got this from a friend of mine. Worked for him w/285's and with another guy w/315's too.

EDIT## the specs.
caster Toyota specs min2.3 max 3.3
Mine 4.1 left
4.2 right
Camber specs -0.4 to 0.6
mine 0.5 left
0.5 right
toe specs 0.00 to 0.05
mine 0.00

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Wanderlust
4,154 Posts
So this alignment thing is turning into a royal pain in the ass. Here's my setup, 3" RC lift, light racing UCA's. Nitto tg 285/70/17. Ive been to three different shops now and it still isn't right. Seems to track better but it still has a strong pull to the right. Here the alignment numbers from the last shop. Left front: castor 3.67. Cambor -.35. Right front: castor 3.48 Cambor -.06. Toe 1/16. Took it back in today and they tried adjusting the steering wheel since it seemed a little off, didn't help. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated, road trip coming next week and I'm really needing to dial this in before then. Oh and the tires are pretty new, and didnt pull before this. UCA is set at 0 degrees adjustment pulled all they way out
Did the shop give you wheel alignment measurements for the rear wheels also? If the thrust angle is greater than zero, your FJ may exhibit "dog track" behavior (steering wheel not centered). Since rear toe is not adjustable, front toe adjustment can be made to compensate for this thrust angle. Your front alignment numbers look OK (slightly out of OE caster range but cross caster and cross camber are OK). Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after my fourth trip to the alignment shop today they finally got it dialed in. Fj drives PERFECT and I finally feel justified in my purchase of the UCA's. Big thanks to network alignment in Phoenix!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone is in the chicagoland area, check out attitude performance in arlington heights IL. Does great work and did a 3” lift on my truck. Looks and drives clean. Sorry im not much help on the issue though...

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my opinion go to a shop working with modified lift kits. Normal car shops used manufacturer specifications and you vehicle is not on that specifications anymore. Plus you shafts not in the same angle. This is true reason I don't modified my fj.I'm free of extra problems.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a lift and some aftermarket suspension parts as well. The shop I go to does this:

Toe - Correct. This is adjusted by the steering linkage and should not be affected by suspension changes

Camber - Match the two sides to each other. This is more important than matching the factory value.

Caster - Ignore. You can't get everything right and this has the least effect, only changes the angle through which the steering pivots.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Caster - Ignore. You can't get everything right and this has the least effect, only changes the angle through which the steering pivots.
No no no, this is important thing, very important with solid front axle. And you can get it right in lifted FJ Cruiser too by changing the UCAs to some aftermarket ones if LCAs adjustment is not enough. Many ”professionals” don’t understand how to adjust them (LCA) properly, they are only watching camber values. One of the most important reason to adjust caster to max. is that the more caster you have, the more you have space for the tire = space between front tire and the body mount.

The factory caster settings are not so important, more (+ caster) is much better than too little. Anyway, they should be close each other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts